Winter driving must have on board list..

verminhunter

No I'm not buying from there I know there are more "Tash & Glasses" wearing Land Rovers in that area... I will be buying from a chap in the Wirral, He's a member of a 4x4 club near him and a member on another forum I am part of.

I have checked all his old postings and everything tally's up with what he has said to me describing his past 3 years ownership of the 90, the HPI check is spot on and I have my list of checks to do.. I think it's a good un!

I am From a town near Doncaster 'Thorne' and I will be picking my Mum up to bring her down to my house for Christmas. Me and the misus just bought our first house in April and looking forward to hosting the festive season for the first time..Although I will be sat in the living room looking at my 90 on the drive thinking of all the bit's I'm going to make for it..

The new MAN SHED will be built in the new year and my lathe and milling machine will be buzzing away making stuff.

I have just bought this in case I have to spend a few hours parked on the M5 in snow..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-JETBOIL-FLASH-Cooking-System-Stove-Camping-BLACK-/120829638339?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Camping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item1c2201f6c3#ht_901wt_970

It's a right bit of kit...

This caught me out this morning - if you have a Td5, take a spare battery for the Alarm Key-Fob. Even if you don't use the alarm, if the battery is flat the immobiliser will not disable and the engine will not start! (Fortunately I carry a spare!).

Si

This caught me out this morning - if you have a Td5, take a spare battery for the Alarm Key-Fob. Even if you don't use the alarm, if the battery is flat the immobiliser will not disable and the engine will not start! (Fortunately I carry a spare!).

Si

What type of battery is it?

Now 5 years ago if you'd mentioned TD5 in a thread like this, people would have mentioned taking a spare ECU and talked about all stories of impending doom! ;)

Ref the front prop it shouldn't have issues with original at 48k, let alone replacement unless it has a lift. If it does have a lift and it's big enough to causes issues then wide ange prop wouldn't have helped. Wide angle props only help the working angle before binding and don't help it to cope with increased angles at each end of the prop from a lift. A double cardan prop or moving the angle of the front diff are the only way to properly cure this.

Battery is 2032' and Si post reminds me I must put my spares back after emptying my cubby box recently.

Cheers

Steve

In really bad weather, in addition to the usual stuff I always carry:

[1] Fully fuelled-and-chainoil-filled chainsaw [because my only 'could not get through' event in the last five years was due to a fallen tree]

[2] Two-way VHF radio on the local farmwatch channel [mobile-phone coverage round here is hopeless]

[3] 'Optimus' petrol-stove, matches, a jerrycan of water, a kettle, and plenty of Not-Poodles/coffee/sugar/tea/chocolate.

[4] Ordnance Survey maps of the area.

--Tanuki.

"Buying 'Carbon Offsets' is the 21st-century equivalent of buying Papal Indulgences - a salve to the consciences of the deluded for having committed a fictitious sin dreamed up - rather conveniently - by the indulgence-peddlers themselves. A 'Sin of Emission', one could say..."

Here in the north of Sweden, in the back of the cab I usually have the following:

1) Short handle snow shovel

2) Mini foldable snow shovel (like the Gerber ones, but mine is old swedish military)

3) Plastic backed pick nick blanket

4) Heavy Alpaca wool blanket, picked up in Peru (it is one of the warmest things I have I think)

5) Two mini survival blankets (as mentioned above)

6) Medium Axe & sharpening stone (good for most trees)

7) Hiking gas bottle, mini stove and thermal heating cup thingy.

8) Afew of those frozen food bags, one that you just need to add water.

9) Re chargable 12v Torch

10) Old swedish military double fleece

11) Hi Vis Thermal jacket + waterproof trousers

12) 2 tone lifting strop

13) pruning saw

14) Winter gloves & rubber gloves

Then in the glove box:

• Hunting knife

• Cash (not plastic)

• Scrabble

• Torch

• Sweets

• FirstAid kit (full of the usual stuff + some antibiotics, syringe)

• Adjustable spanner / stubby philips screwdriver

• More winter gloves

I mean there is the usual stuff too, mobile / CB (but both are pretty useless here when you are that remote), Then there is my tool bag, socket set and tire air pump (ran off compressor with 5 gallon tank) There is other stuff, but Im off to eat some diner.

I don't know how 'Defender aware' you are but you may well need blankets for mum and warm boots and clothing even if the traffic does keep moving...

My problems start on the 90 when it's moving, the heater is great around town but as soon as you hit the motorway the draughts overpower it , if your new purchase doesn't have a radio bring a portable one, that's a long drive with no music

All went well thank's got home no bother Defender drove well a few little niggles to sort but that's Land Rovers.. The diff lock light decided to stop working so that's tomorrows job.. I got rid of the stupid amount of stickers the previous owner had slapped everywhere...I will go through it and service every nut and bolt make sure it's all spot on, I am loving been back in a Defender though..