Hiclone in a 200tdi - does it do anything?

As the others have said if it was that simple the vehicle manufactures would have been building them into air intakes for years. A similar thing built into the air intake system during manufacture would cost pence extra and if there was any noticable improvement they would do it especially at the higher end of the market and commercials expected to do big miles.

In a engineering sense laminar flow is what you would want to shift more air with less pressure drop not turbulant. Never made the calculations but I would expect the flow is high enough for the bore that it is always turbulant in an air intake and exhaust system, (possible not on tubular headers?).

If you put the pseudo-science hat on that they use to market this stuff, there's surely a risk that the hicolne will swirl the air the wrong way and stall the turbo :ph34r:

There is a grain of truth in the theory, and BMW fit little bits in their inlet manifolds that help provide swirl (and fall off into the engine and get eaten). But a bent baked-bean tin is probably not going to help.

200 turbo spins anticlockwise, viewed from the front.

How very dare you pollute this thread with potentially accurate factual information!

I had one in my dashboard for a few months, worked pretty well at cutting your fingers when you dipped in for screwdrivers etc....

Will.

Given that the intrinsic tendency for things to swirl is different in the Northern and Southern hemispheres [the Aussies see the water circling the plughole the other way to us Brits/North-Americans], do Hiclone provide Northern- and Southern-Hemisphere versions of their swirl-inducing product?

Fitting a left-hand-swirler in a right-hand-swirling hemisphere could possibly result in a horrible explosion...

--Tanuki.

"This beer is only 3% alcohol. That's not beer - it's homeopathy!"

I think this has been covered many times before...if its so good, in the drive for ever more stringent emmsions requirements why don't the manufacturers already fit one?

Not that I'm denying what you are saying, but I'm not sure it's a truly valid argument.

Manufacturers build cars to a standard dictated by cost and time to assemble (and other factors). If this standard can be met, then they won't add on extra bits even if they do offer benefits.

And it can be summed up as a cost thing really.

For example, if a car maker builds 200,000 cars per year and they can meet the 'standard' without such a device, then why would they spend the extra to add it?

Even if the cost price plus labour to fit it was say £2-4 in total, over 200,000 units tha'ts £200,000 - £400,000 lost profit.

From the other side of the argument, where cost is not an object, e.g. Ferrari, Porsche, Bugatti Veyron etc,do they fit them? I doubt it...

Tis true, although even at such levels you'll still often find them using paper element air filters and not synthetic weave ones, despite the later out flowing, out filtering and out lasting paper elements. So maybe they still don't 'optimise' everything despite the profit margin.

Tis true, although even at such levels you'll still often find them using paper element air filters and not synthetic weave ones, despite the later out flowing, out filtering and out lasting paper elements. So maybe they still don't 'optimise' everything despite the profit margin.

But that is because paper ones work? :ph34r:

You are all very cynical!

I think you would all benefit from one of these:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orgone-Tesla-Radionics-Activator-Quantum-Shield-Pyramid-/260818650487?pt=UK_Metaphysical_New_Age&hash=item3cba00c577

to help balance your humours and chi! If you sit one of these on your engine, apparently it will run on pure b******t!

Looking at the pictures - I now know what to do with all the swarf from my Mill!

Si