Thank you - from my trousers! (not OT, nor rude!)

simonr

I've made one of these:

post-74-0-13096200-1335359335_thumb.jpg

post-74-0-98290100-1335359350_thumb.jpg

One of the biggest problems with Defenders, as my trousers will attest, are that the door striker plates have a habit of ripping pockets & belt loops off! I've ruinated at least six otherwise good pairs of trousers including one where it tore the leg clean off in the last year - so decided to do something about it!

Although it wasn't really intended as a 'product' - it's received such an enthusiastic response from people, it might just become one! How about the X-Trouser? Really, I guess it really should be X-X-Trouser as a double negative!

post-74-0-55392400-1335360872_thumb.jpg

The difference between a standard plate and the above is that the standard one has a lip (as you can see above) at the end which has a sharp edge which catches on things. My one however has no lip and a smooth profile with no catchy, rippy bits!

Si ;)

Si,

Great to see it in production, remember I am first on the list when you start to sell them. I previously calculated I have gone through over £200 worth of trekking trousers over the last couple of years so it makes a sound investment for me (if you release it at the prices we previously talked about)

Jason.

This is the sort of product that X-eng should be proud of! Great stuff!

Any issues with it being part of the door lock mechanism? I'm sure it's strong enough, just wondering if there are any implications?

I'd buy one if they were for sale. I'd buy two, but I really only need one. I hardly get in the passenger's side, and those that do don't have belt loops in the same place!

Luke

It's 50% stronger than the original. The original part has an 8mm mild steel pin surrounded with a plastic sleeve. I've replaced this with a 10mm stainless pin without the sleeve.

I'm not sure I can see the point of the sleeve other than the door makes a quieter 'click' as it locks or unlocks. The sleeves don't seem to last long anyway so it seemed pointless to me! The rest of it is made from 304 Stainless as well.

A marginal additional benefit is the seat belt does not get caught on it either - at least not so often.

Si

It's 50% stronger than the original. The original part has an 8mm mild steel pin surrounded with a plastic sleeve. I've replaced this with a 10mm stainless pin without the sleeve.

I'm not sure I can see the point of the sleeve other than the door makes a quieter 'click' as it locks or unlocks. The sleeves don't seem to last long anyway so it seemed pointless to me! The rest of it is made from 304 Stainless as well.

A marginal additional benefit is the seat belt does not get caught on it either - at least not so often.

Si

Will the stainless pin not wear the lock out in the door faster?

Its possible, but in my experience the door locks break on their own long before the catcher would exhibit wear!

Also, if you look at the striker plates on locks on virtually any other vehicle, none of them have plastic sleeves!

Si

Well, that seems conclusive! I'll get quotes for mass producing them! My hope is that they will be about £10 - but that's a guess!

I've had no trouble with my trousers ripping, maybe your getting out of the car in a 'funny' way!

I think once you are as old as me and have eaten a few more pies - even you will be afflicted with this!

Si

Look good Si. Can't say I've ever had an issue with it in my short number years of driving Defenders, maybe it's a height thing as you are considerably taller than me!

I'll probably still have some off you at some point though, purely for the fact that it won't suffer from the plastic sleeve wearing like the standard ones do.

Look fantasic, will they self polish over time? :lol:

Can you make some decent work trousers now that have the knee pads in the right place and a crotch that doesnt split? leather pads on the front of the legs would be handy stop me melting phones when grinding ;)

Will.

Look good Si. Can't say I've ever had an issue with it in my short number years of driving Defenders, maybe it's a height thing as you are considerably taller than me!

I'll probably still have some off you at some point though, purely for the fact that it won't suffer from the plastic sleeve wearing like the standard ones do.

I've never had any ripped trousers... then again it is very rare I wear trousers :lol: However, no shorts have been harmed!