Porsche - how not to fit a number plate

Big.Mike

A mate of mine has just bought a brand new Porsche Carrera. He gas a bit of a problem as his numberplate just fell off... Why did it fall off? Because those lovely people at our local Porsche garage had used paper to, yes rolled up paper, to space the screws out. And it rained.

This got me thinking as I was putting it back on for him with some adhesive tape:

Has anyone tried riveting through a number plate? And what would you use or make to stop it cracking!

My number plate is going to have to be moved, I suspect it might raise a coppers eye brow if I don't!

Cheers,

Mike

The two methods I've used are slowly drilling through it with a very very sharp drill and then just bolting it. In fact my winch came with a set of plastic nuts / bolts to put it through the number plate holder.

The second method was some 3M Velcro - very useful when laning / off-roading as it was on the edge of the bumper and could just remove it rather than smash it. When the 110 went in to be repaired from being rear-ended the insurer's garage just used thick double sided tape to stick the front number plate back on.

But no, haven't tried riveting them.

I tend to use self-drilline/Tech screws to fix them to trailers. Your Porsche owning buddy might not thank you if you used them on his pride and joy I feel!

Naw, he went and shouted at the Porsche garage, They'll sort it out properly. Not that they did in the first place...

I need to move my Defenders number plate...

Why rivets instead of bolts? If it's because you have no access to other side of the panel you want to rivet to? Would Rivnuts work and allow the use of bolts?

If you want to use rivets I think you'll need something to spread the load like a large washer, which will obscure the number plate and get you in trouble from the aforementioned copper IMHO.

Mine fell off too, it was just under the car one day. It had been stuck on with sticky pads. There were already some holes in the plastic pumper and through the steel behind it so i just drilled the number plate and fixd it with some little m6 button heads and nyloc. Hasn't cracked or split yet.

If i was riviting it i would probably use a top had type bush to stop it pulling, think I have some little brass ones somewhere if you want some.

For the trailer etc I use these; They're great but some don't like them due to how easy it is to get the plate off.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Trailer-Steel-Number-Plate-Holder-Spring-Loaded-Clips-/120994443661?pt=UK_Trailers_Transporters_Parts&hash=item1c2bd4b18d

Double sided tape, of the very strong UV resistant exterior use variety.

Stops someone nicking the plates off the car and doesn't leave visible fixings that may alter the apperance of the registration.

Alternatively, use roofing bolts and fix the plates to a Land Rover and sell the Porker. :P

I've used the sticky pads for a few cars, including an Austin Mini, with good success.

I'd be reluctant to buy a vehicle from a dealer that uses "rolled up paper" in their mechanical work - what else did they work on at the same time? Brakes? Steering?

I'd not be trusting them with anything ever again. Mind you, chances of me owning a porsche are slim to vanishing so it's a moot point, but still.

Rivets will crack a plastic number plare.

We used to drill number plates six at a time when doing a PDI and fit plates. Then use the correct number plate screws.

Sticky tape is good but round here they're using cheese wire to get the plates off.

Me ? ? I use plastic screws and sticky tape.

I riveted 2 magnets to my plastic numberplate, that then fits over the fairlead area of the winchbumper.

Now I like this idea. It would work really well on a truck where you want to hide the winch...

I'd be reluctant to buy a vehicle from a dealer that uses "rolled up paper" in their mechanical work

Yeah me too. I have to laugh, my mates German, precision made, pursuit of automotive perfection is felled by some numpty in the garage...

Rivets will crack a plastic number plate.

Sticky tape is good but round here they're using cheese wire to get the plates off.

Yeah, the cheese wire is why I want to rivet them on. The cracking is what I'd like to avoid... :)

Be sensable and buy metal plates.

Note to me...Must carry a drill in future to drill rivits off number plates LOL

Metal plates are illegal, a mate of mine got really stung by this a few months ago :(

You could drill them off, but it ain't half noisy trying to drill through aluminum rivets. :P

I had to educate a member of the local constabulary,he didnt much care for it!!

I think that's the point, educating the police is hard (particularly when they are looking to pick fault).

I've yet to see any truly reflective plates for sale...

Used to sell number plates and new vehicles and we used to use either the proper double sided sticky pads (need to clean paintwork and back of plate with meths or something before application, and use several pads) or on commercial vehicles / rough service we used the proper self tapping screws and colour matched caps. They look fine IMHO, maybe not on a Jag or Ferrari. Porsches are fugly anyway so a brass woodscrew would be fine :P

Drilling acrylic plates is not at all hard, sharp drill, high speed and very light pressure on the bit especially as you come out the back, and no problems if it is supported on a piece of wood or something to drill into. Don't overtighten screws or they will crack. We also used plastic nuts and bolts (white and yellow) as an alternative where appropriate.

Metal plates are illegal, a mate of mine got really stung by this a few months ago :(

You could drill them off, but it ain't half noisy trying to drill through aluminum rivets. :P

Wow, just the opposite in Australia. Embossed metal plates only - plastic plates or stick ons will earn you the priveledge of making an instant donation to the national deficit.