Poorly Paul Wightman

GBMUD

He can fool you, but he's not fooling me........

Just an excuse not start building the new car.......

First it was "Got to build a new workshop"

Then "Can't find the right bits"

And NOW this.......... :rolleyes:

Slack Mate, Slack.......

Chin up Ole boy, You'll be back at it before you know it :rolleyes:

Also i can tow you about if you wish....? Somethings never change..... :lol:

Best foot forward, and i look forward to teaming up (again) very soon

Best wishes

Jim and the Gigglepin staff :)

Ps: Chris is convinced i brought this upon you after Argyll :lol::rolleyes: B)

Clad to hear you are ok you old F*** wit :P

But please listen to the docs a bit a least !!!!!!! Lost too many friends who think they knew best , as we all do <_<

Dont worry we will be around still in a few months so you can try to get your own back :blink:

But know for the post you would exspect :D

Yer whatever any excuse i supose thats why we beat you ,as to think of it Jim did say you looked a little white in Argyll !!!

Its people like you that make comps so expensive insurance wise you old fart :P

Next time do we have to all carry jump leads & KY jelly just incase.

Love you Paul & for F**K sake listen to the docs!

I have heard that the angio-plasty and stent insersion went well today and Paul should be allowed out tomorrow. Good news. :)

Chris

Just caught-up with the forum although I did know last week that Paul had taken himself to Hospital. Just as Medway Galvanisers had managed to damage (Medway Damagisers?) the bits Paul had made for Cirrus, so maybe it was my fault! Anyway young Nick had it sorted with a big hammer and anvil and said damaged parts get fitted Wednesday.

Best wishes Paul, and as Pete says listen to the doctors, get well soon and back into the Black Pig.

Stents are the ultimate laser cut parts, so fine and intricate, make 7 scrap 6 by the time you have tested for strength / stretch etc. Needs clean rooms, microscopes and tweezers to hold the components. Average stent, apparently, sells for £1400 (3 times that for top quality in the States) and with that scrap / testing rate I can understand the prices!

Maybe some micro machining for Cirrus in the future.

Stents are the ultimate laser cut parts, so fine and intricate, make 7 scrap 6 by the time you have tested for strength / stretch etc. Needs clean rooms, microscopes and tweezers to hold the components. Average stent, apparently, sells for £1400 (3 times that for top quality in the States) and with that scrap / testing rate I can understand the prices!

Maybe some micro machining for Cirrus in the future.

So not content with building piggy, Paul is now constructing a bionic driver for her... :blink:

Bet he'll be looking at all the Gucci machines in hospital, and trying to work them into the new car design; so we can expect a defibrilator to provide surge power to the winch, a dialysis machine for cooling of winch motors and fairleads (!), and a stunning nurse to navigate - he might not win, but he'll be the happiest driver around!

Get well soon chap. The challenge world needs your talents, in the driving seat and in the workshop.

Bren

Back home now. I’d like to thank everyone for their kind words, quite touching really…..

While the experience is still clear I will put it into text so when I get fed-up with people asking questions I can hand out a pamphlet.

HOW TO HAVE A HEART ATTACK

Monday evening meal eaten as per any Monday evening meal, slouching in front of telly. Hello, bit of indigestion, it’ll go, I’ll sleep it off.

Tuesday morning and still feeling a bit rough so off to work and it’ll go away, also, due to the desertion of my workforce for the whole week (holiday or summat like that) I had to be at the workshop. I’ll take it easy and all will be fine, no, felt carp all day and went home at 5.15. Got some Gaviscon down my neck and went straight to bed leaving instructions to wake me at 8 so I could go to the pub. The pub did not happen, I felt rough.

Come 3am I had had enough so told Di (wife) I’m off to casualty, “Don’t disturb the dogs, give us a ring later” Zzzzzzzzz.

I drive to Redhill Hospital, park the car and wander into A&E. The place is empty, note for future ‘if you need to go to casualty wait till 3am’. Told the receptionist I had a little pain, probably a chicken bone or indigestion.

Within 2 minutes a nurse took me through and proceeded to do blood pressure, pulse then blood sample and urine sample followed by a quick ECG. While all this was going on I was answering questions about allergies, family history etc.

5.30am, so all has gone well and I get a visit from a doctor (of this land) who tells me I may have had a heart attack but they are waiting for more results. Then I get a visit from another doctor (not of this land) who proceeds to ask me all the questions again but 95% in his native tongue, I don’t stand a chance, he’s got me down as deaf or thick. At 6am I don’t give a toss!

7am, doctor (not of this land) had given up and probably made it up as best he could. I am moved to a side room to free up a bed and offered my first cup of tea, smashing, wired to a monitor, covered with a blanket and left in peace.

8am and I get a visit from a party of doctors (mainly all of this land) who I had spied congregating at the A&E desk with an obvious leader in the form of an Ann Robinson look alike.

Ann (or whatever her name is) is pleased to inform me that I have not suffered a heart attack and in fact the problem is gastric and I will be able to go home and return for a camera down the gullet later. Great I think!

8.10am. One of the minion doctors comes to see me. We shall call this doctor Tim (as in Tim-nice-but-dim) who just wants to check my name band. “So you’re not Mr Davies then?

“No, he’s next door” I replied.

“Ah, Mr Wightman, there seems to have been a bit of a mix-up” says Tim.

After 10min of apology and reassuring me I really have had a heart attack and how very sorry he was (I had this one down to Ann) I said not too worry and it was ok.

8.20am, Dr Tim walks in and starts saying sorry again, I say no harm done but he carries on.

“Are you worried about me suing your arse off?” I said.

Tim turns white as a sheet and almost chokes on his biro!

I assure Tim I have no intention of suing them and a cup of tea would make everything right. I never saw Tim again but a cup of tea did turn up pronto.

10am and I’m off to the medical observation ward, plugged into machines going ping-pong all the time. Next is a visit from Dr Nick Riviera who has a form to be filled in which is very similar to the two already filled in. He is the spitting image of the Simpsons doctor with the happy squeaky voice. Form filled in and I get a telling off for driving to A&E having had a heart attack, I should stop smoking, I should exercise more etc, etc.

Midday Wednesday and off to cardiac care unit, very posh, new and only 8 beds on the ward. Nice nurses, willing to help and put you at ease, being wired to a box I had to pee in a bottle which is not a pleasant experience. I ask for a bowl and sponge to freshen up which was produced and I felt much better. Di turns up with some boxer shorts and I’m comfortable.

Thursday morning. New nurse (male) on duty who gets off to a bad start by opening the blinds (I’m next to the window) leaving me basking in the direct sunlight. His name tag said ‘Baz’ so I asked Baz if he could draw the blinds where the sun was directly on me. Well that was out of order! I was being selfish! I pointed out it was only the sun directly on me and being in bed and unable to leave the bed I was getting a trifle warm. The dick said in a minute and promptly buggered off! At this point me and Baz fell out.

Next nurse along notices I was in direct sunlight and promptly closed the blinds! I’m down for angiogram late afternoon so asked Baz for a bowl and sponge to freshen up to which he responds “you had one yesterday”. Now if I was not tethered to a rather expensive piece of equipment Baz may well have got a slap for that but I decided to wait for another nurse.

Next nurse brings a bowl, a sponge and a razor “You shave”.

“Everything?”

“Groin”

“Which side?”

“Not sure, do both”

So there I am perched on the side of the bed trying to remove the hair from both hinges quite expecting Baz to walk in because he can! I pop on the gown which lets the rest of the world see your ar*e and wait to be taken to theatre.

5pm and were off to theatre, doctors, surgeons, technicians and nurses all very jovial and me with me ar*e hanging out crapping myself!

Onto the table and Big Mama nurse is putting the sticky pads on my chest for the monitor but she is rubbing the skin with a finger where the pad goes and it hurts so I say “Excuse me madam but you have the skin of a walrus”.

She laughs in the only way a Big Mama can and shows me the tip of her finger……… sandpaper pad!

“It is for the making of the good contact man”

That blubby hurt!

Angiogram, nothing to it! Very, very cold paste on the groin. You may feel a little prick (right there!) and were off. In 1min I see on the screen a black wire poking around my heart, incredible! Squirt of die and some pictures and all done in 15min. Didn’t feel a thing other than a little prick.

Off to recovery where every nurse on the floor wanted to check my groin.

Thursday evening. Doctors rounds and I have to go to Brighton for angioplasty and stent. Within an hour an ambulance had me in Brighton.

Floor 10 Albion ward room 6. Telephone, radio, television and internet in one unit on a bracket off the wall. Telly and radio free, phone not cheap and internet at 4p/min with a painfully slow connection. Cost me 40p just to connect to the forum so gave up on that.

Op was to be on Monday afternoon so from Thursday night I was bored.

Visits from wife and friends helped to pass the time and I was not wired to a machine so was able to move around. Come Sunday it was suggested I may like to walk to the main entrance shop and buy a paper and maybe gat a little fresh air.

Once at the entrance I looked out and it was a straight run down to the beach, I was off! There seemed to be quite a few motorcycles around, I made it to the railings at the front and Madera Drive was filling with hundreds of bikes, there was a run and speed trials that day. Hour and a half I thought I’d better get back, pick up a Latte and back to the ward.

Sunday afternoon when Di and Dan came for a visit we did it again, that’s the way to pass time.

Monday, and theatre in the afternoon. On the table for 2pm, no Big Mama to scrape the skin off my chest, this is going well. Cold jelly on the hinge runs down between my legs, that’s fine. Op starts, nurse asks if I’m ok, I say “fine except my scrotum is on fire!”

“Jelly run down there?”

“Yes”

“It’ll be fine”

“When?”

“Soon”

After about 10 minutes it turned into a smouldering sensation which was not so bad.

As for angioplasty, nothing to it! Two arteries reamed out and stents fitted which took all of 45 minutes. Back on the ward in 1 hour just in time for tea.

Hooked up to monitor for the night, slight blood on floor incident at 2.30am when I went for a pee and disturbed the groin wound, it is the Femoral artery which is prone to a little gushing if disturbed. Soon sorted by nursey.

Many thanks to the staff at Redhill (except Baz who can go suck his head) and Brighton (the one white nurse did have a small problem with me but she was pregnant, Scottish and ginger so no hope there!)

It’s taken me all afternoon to type this so I’m off to the pub with RocKer, Rouge Vouge and Simonr.

Glad to hear you're ok Paul

Angiogram, nothing to it!
I was told from a workmate who had the same op as you, that the worst part of the whole thing was the loud POP :o when they cut into the artery, did that not happen to you ? It bloody frightened me :unsure: but luckily they gave me a general when I had mine.

Just one word of warning, I felt great when I came out of Hospital as well, but it was about a week or two later when it hit me and I was totally shagg drained for days.

Take it steady Paul, all the best