Iva tests and magazine articles

gav-

I have just received the copy of a land rover magazine which contains two articles which have two vehicles which have had chassis mods and are on the road but have no mention of an iva test.

I enjoy reading the articles, but I don't understand how the authors just pass over the fact that they require a IVA test. unless I have the requirements wrong!

Has anyone else noticed this? I get the magazine as a gift before any one asks! :)

The problem lies with one's interpretation of chassis modifications. No-one is quite sure what constitutes one or not.

If you take it as a literal meaning then adding roll cage mounts or a winch rear crossmember, or adding new engine mounts for example would necessitate an SVA.

Anything other than a literal meaning and, well, there's no line drawn anywhere so it's down to the individual IVA tester.

As Daan said, the comics (and it's not just the LR ones) go out of their way to ignore IVA/SVA issues, not to mention dubious engineering and general pants-on-head-retarded ideas - if it looks cool on the front cover, it'll sell magazines.

Let's face it, if they printed good advice like "stop buying all this carp and learn to drive" they'd be out of business!

That

And the fact in the UK we have journalists who don't know their LT85s from a dead mouse where as in the USA mags are in the main run by enthusiasts

In the UK I think most magazine journos would have enough trouble spelling IVA let alone explaining what one is :(

Which is one reason I think the UK mags are so plopplops

Whilst were at it, it always surprises me when they say "I thought it would fail the MOT on xxxx and xxxxx but it passed" These people are meant to be setting an example, if they think the truck will fail the MOT then replace the bit that needs fixing!! If the track rod end is split and rusted then replace the thing don't gloat when the MOT man misses it!!

I also saw in the lro magazine them replacing an engine using a forklift and some old seatbelt webbing, using g clamps to clamp the webbing on the forks. this was in a professional workshop on the lro project car, sponsored by, yes you guessed it, britpart.

I don't even bother buying them any more - uninformed, sponsor biased journalists, page after page of adverts (remember that one, Nige ? ), emphasis on bolt on goodies and bling and an inability and unwillingness to undertake any maintenance or repair tasks themselves all bring a rather sour taste to my mouth, alas.

There is nothing in them for the "enthusiast".

Mo

Ah oh for the good old days?

My Series 1 V8 was the project car for Hot Car and the work was done by Pete Robain the photographer. I think the only freebie was a pair of spots and a water injection system, though possibly included the Phillips V8 adaptor?

I once posted here about a magazine centre spread on a Classic 2 door Rangie which had a replacement chassis, replacement 4 door body, engine, axles, wheels, gearbox, and interior. Even the colour was changed yet still claimed to be tax exempt!

Marc.

Whilst were at it, it always surprises me when they say "I thought it would fail the MOT on xxxx and xxxxx but it passed" These people are meant to be setting an example, if they think the truck will fail the MOT then replace the bit that needs fixing!! If the track rod end is split and rusted then replace the thing don't gloat when the MOT man misses it!!

+1! They seem to be tight as a ducks wotsit and skimp on things like this, yet think nothing of fitting (read: being given for free) a pair of LED headlamps costing north of a grand a pair! And the standard of electrical work especially varies wildly.

I've found some of the Lindsay Porter articles in LRM interesting though - he does employ professionals for his money-no-object 110, then does some picture-book style walkthroughs. The current series on re-furbing a Defender door is definitely being kept for future reference!!

I find myself being spammed regularly by the publishers offering me 3 issues for £1 or £5 for 5 issues....well if you insist. But that's the only way I'll buy the damn things these days. My LRO stainless mug holds the heat in quite well too!

In some senses it would be nice to see a lot more transparency in the cars shown in the mags but a few of you nailed it with the cool looking sells comms so true enough, but techy Ed Evans still writing for LRO after all these years is nobodies fool when it comes to doing it properly!!!

I did see a few articles and did write to air my views on some of the important things they missed out on in the feature but the replies varied from thank you for your enquiries to it was a fact based article that dealt with all issues that would be raised.....

I do admit to taking LRO and LRM but LRO is for the glossy pages and LRM for the techy stuff they do, my boss likes to read LRO when christening my toilet every morning, even makes conversation about what he has read when I have to drive out with him, funny, he thinks I am basically crackers for my passion for Land Rovers but the magazines intrigue him.

I find the Dutch magazines very good and factual, but the Frenchies that I get and have translated are rubbish..............

Not just the glossing over of things but the fact that EVERY month they NEED to repair something on their Land Rover.

If that same Land Rover was correctly serviced, then they shouldn't have anything to print about for another six months.....

Silly me that doesn't make a story that sells glossy mags.

I lke my South African mags. I don't buy any UK 4X4 mags too much mud plugging for my liking.

https://www.youtube....1&v=KWmM6QvllwE

I think these guys are on the cover of the LRO (Dec 2012).

To be fair to LRO, I did win one the recent photo competitions and I did get a full set of Koni shocks out of them for free... still wont be buying their mag though :D

G

And how did you win that competition then Gareth? Was it by pestering all of us to vote for you?

I know what an LT85 is; I haven't 'blagged' a freebie since my TOR days; I've had death threats for stating the SVA/IVA/BIVA rules and regs; I have always preached the avoidance of road legal safe vehicles over ridiculous mods or MoT bodges...

And how did you win that competition then Gareth? Was it by pestering all of us to vote for you?

I know what an LT85 is; I haven't 'blagged' a freebie since my TOR days; I've had death threats for stating the SVA/IVA/BIVA rules and regs; I have always preached the avoidance of road legal safe vehicles over ridiculous mods or MoT bodges...

For the people that aren't aware honitonhobbit writes for one of the magazines, although I knew him in a previous job and I am sure if he ever did get freebies it would be included in the article that they were free and a honest opinion would be given so all would be clear and above board.

I will leave it for his decision to reveal which magazine if he decides to do so.