Premium Defender - don't like the sound of that!

SPendrey

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/premium-land-rover-defender-planned/264700

Just read a short article about the new Defender (not expected until 2015)... far too much 'premium' stuff in it for me. I've always thought towing a horse box or trailer or getting across a muddy field was the most important thing for working users of these vehicles, but it sounds like LR want to pimp them up with stuff we (you) probably don't need. :-(

At the end of the day I can't see them keeping on with the defender as we know it, it's a small market, dependant on companies/governments etc rather than the public. If they make a premium defender there's more chance of selling higher figures.

If you do not buy a new utility or directly influence your company's utility vehicle buying decision every three years then LR, quite rightly, are not that bothered what you think of their equipment levels. Those who do have buying influence have a lot of choice of vehicles from Europe, Japan, the USA etc. and they all have decent stereos, AC, are waterproof, draughtproof and nice to drive - why would LR not aim to be in the same marketplace? Many of the changes on the 'new' Defender will be driven by legislation and mean that there can be a Defender at all, as if it did not conform then they could not sell it.

If all this luxury bothers you then bring your new car to me and I will remove the decent stereo, AC, carpets, door seals, loosen some trim etc. and you can get that 'classic' Landrover experience.

Chris

I'm sure they can come up with a replacement that comes in body sections I.E. front panel through to B pillar then add a back bulk head and pick up body, or add a station wagon body with rear doors...You would tick the box and a corresponding section would be picked and put on to the production line. So it would have the versatility of the currant defender but with lower build costs. It would then still appeal to military and governments as well as individuals... For £50, a night in a premier inn and a bacon sarnie with unlimited coffee I'd go up and show LR my napkin drawings....

If you do not buy a new utility or directly influence your company's utility vehicle buying decision every three years then LR, quite rightly, are not that bothered what you think of their equipment levels. Those who do have buying influence have a lot of choice of vehicles from Europe, Japan, the USA etc. and they all have decent stereos, AC, are waterproof, draughtproof and nice to drive - why would LR not aim to be in the same marketplace? Many of the changes on the 'new' Defender will be driven by legislation and mean that there can be a Defender at all, as if it did not conform then they could not sell it.

If all this luxury bothers you then bring your new car to me and I will remove the decent stereo, AC, carpets, door seals, loosen some trim etc. and you can get that 'classic' Landrover experience.

Chris

:) :) :)

Lots of us view the Defender as just a workhorse, with its agricultural roots. Many a Defender has been bought by a farmer to tow his livestock trailer, or to drive across his fields to rescue an injured animal, repair walls and fences etc.

Nowadays many of these farming folk are buying double cab rice burners instaed of the good ol' Landy. Why? In part, because they are a damn sight cheaper, also they are more comfortable, warmer and have a few luxuries. Importantly they can still be loaded with mucky tools and animals in the load bay.

So we must be a little off the mark to think that working vehicles don't need luxuries. I mean just look at what you get in a new Transit or Sprinter - they are both working vehicles. Our firm's Sprinter with its A/C, cruise control, fancy stereo, heated seats and more, is better equipped that the 5 YO Corsa I drove to work in today.

So I believe Landrover is fully in touch with what buyers expect from a modern working vehicle. They also realise that to achieve good sales they need to make their products appeal to a wide market that is not all utility based. It seems crazy to think that you can make a vehicle more expensive to sell more of them!

Maybe it is just us off-roaders who want a fully stripped out truck to plough through the mud with. We would appear to be a minority section of the Defender market. After all, how many of us buy a brand new D90 to trash around off-road? Not me for sure. We pick up the aging trucks that have depreciated some, pull them apart and turn them into our dream machines, far from standard spec for any model year :)

I assume this new defender will be designed to comply with US safety regulations which will be a massive market for land rover

All they can buy now is a rebuilt defender 25 years old for 30k

Americans don't take a dump unless the stall has A/C so they need to beef the spec up or it won't sell

Put it like this- the boss has just bought a new G- Wagon (ok, they're 80k new) but it is basically the Defender LR should always have made (hopefully will make).

It' got all the utlity that a LWB defender has, but it's powerful (3.5TD), has an auto gearbox option, cruise control/built in sat-nav, excellent build quality and locking diffs. OK, they are silly money but it really opened my eyes to what LR could achieve even with half the budget.

Compare that to my brand new Puma XS 110- delivered last week complete with gaps in the door seals and a clunky gearbox (still love it though). And that's a 30k car with the VAT. LR have been reliying on the Defender's image for so long they have been left far behind everyone else producing 4x4s'.

Bring on the Defender MkII.

Put it like this- the boss has just bought a new G- Wagon (ok, they're 80k new) but it is basically the Defender LR should always have made (hopefully will make).

It' got all the utlity that a LWB defender has, but it's powerful (3.5TD), has an auto gearbox option, cruise control/built in sat-nav, excellent build quality and locking diffs. OK, they are silly money but it really opened my eyes to what LR could achieve even with half the budget.

Compare that to my brand new Puma XS 110- delivered last week complete with gaps in the door seals and a clunky gearbox (still love it though). And that's a 30k car with the VAT. LR have been reliying on the Defender's image for so long they have been left far behind everyone else producing 4x4s'.

Bring on the Defender MkII.

Could not agree more but they should have brought out a new vehicle 13yrs ago when they introduced the TD5 IMHO!!!

But I think the new vehicle will be the same as the D3 in the fact that it is seriously over weight on the curb side and they are now so far behind the competition that to catch up to it they will have to bring out such a radically altered model that it will have little or no resemblance to the outgoing one, and also in order to appeal to the modern day yuppies they will overlook the more utility and practical applications that made the image that stood for so long.

I wait to see what comes but I know full well that there will be a new model with another 5-10K slapped on it's price tag just because it will be a must have in rugged vehicles!!!

I was at a conference yesterday where Bob Joyce- JLR engineering director spoke. The things relevant I took away from his presentation are:

JLR are very heavily targeting weight of vehicles, so expect to see a lot more structural use of aluminium and composite panels

The seperate chassis looks highly unlikely to continue on into the new Defender

A picture of the defender was put up with the comment "you're not supposed to see that".... Obviously joking, but intimating the defender (in some form) is part of the long term plan for JLR

The seperate chassis looks highly unlikely to continue on into the new Defender

Interesting - I would have thought that this has to continue in at least some form surely, for one because military/utility buyers will want it, and secondly because chassis cab options (Pick ups) and the like will require it. They manage this trick on transits and the like.

I for one look forward to something with decent build quality and modern levels of toys. Sadly the Defender just cannot continue as is

I know the iconic shape of the current range of defenders has virtually been the same since series 2's onwards and I for one will be very sorry to see it go, and as for L/R needing to move with the times then such is life, There'll always be the enthusiasts like us keeping the legend that it Is alive

Interesting - I would have thought that this has to continue in at least some form surely, for one because military/utility buyers will want it, and secondly because chassis cab options (Pick ups) and the like will require it. They manage this trick on transits and the like.

I for one look forward to something with decent build quality and modern levels of toys. Sadly the Defender just cannot continue as is

I wonder whether they are looking to keep military contracts with a new civilian type or based vehicle? They could have already been in development processes for a military proposed vehicle that now they have to make worthy of civi street? A highly lucrative market that one!!!

As for Tranny vans and tippers etc,. They are basically monococh and basically the box section is only an extension of the mono chassis rails, cheaper and much lighter to produce, sub frames and structured floor pans, very good to see when dissecting vehicles I think.