What's the worst damage you've ever done to your LR?

LisaMartin

Not having really done much competition myself I cannot speak of many personal experiences, but I have seen plenty of rollovers at winch challenge events. Most trucks entering this style of event have decent roll cages, which limit damage and injuries a good deal. But these are not generally speed events. Most damage on challenge trucks tends to be body work getting shredded, and mechanical breakages.

Years ago I was marshalling at a hill rally stage on Salisbury plain, I witnessed a V8 Discovery lose it on a corner and slide into a ditch at speed. The car flipped sideways as it caught in the ditch, and spun round. The driver got out shaken but without significant injuries, but the Disco was a wreck. The end of the front axle had sheared off where the swivel ball bolts on, the radius arm mount had been torn of the chassis. Body work and glass were all over the place.

At the same event I saw a Ninety take to the air over a relatively small hump, and land on its nose, and subsequently go head over heel a couple of times. This was before the arrival of tubular front bodywork, but nonetheless this would have been about as nasty a head on impact as I can think of. As I recall the driver was suffered some serious whiplash, but the full internal cage saved the day in many respects. This was possibly one of the worst damaged cages I have seen. I am not suggesting the cage wasn't good enough, just that it was subjected to unthinkable forces.

Hi Lisa, and welcome to the forum :)

The only damage I have done to my vehicle is from following MickeyW around :P Although that's not in a competition. ;)

There are some pretty impressive competiton accidents on youtube if you want to see what can happen, comp safari being the most visually impressive due to the speed invloved but also impressive for the strength of the cages.

Example

ive had a couple of good ones, one was a roll down a hill where i hit a rock on the way down

end result was a trashed rollcage

bent outrigger

bent bulkhead

and twisted cab

and most recently i did a backflip and landed upside down underwater which completely filled the cab.

cage did its job but water pressure shattered the screen and completely destroyed the roof and bonnet.

pictures of that little misshap actually found its way into land rover wold mag jan 2013 issue

Hi All,

I'm a newly registered user, but i'm interested to hear in what your worst accident has ever been when competing?

Personally I've not seen anything bad, but heard some shocking tales from people at events.

Lisa x

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to LR4x4. Any reason behind the interest in competition accidents?

Hi Lisa, and welcome to the forum :)

The only damage I have done to my vehicle is from following MickeyW around :P Although that's not in a competition. ;)

There are some pretty impressive competiton accidents on youtube if you want to see what can happen, comp safari being the most visually impressive due to the speed invloved but also impressive for the strength of the cages.

Example

Jee! Rolled a fair few times there!

Incredible.

ive had a couple of good ones, one was a roll down a hill where i hit a rock on the way down

end result was a trashed rollcage

bent outrigger

bent bulkhead

and twisted cab

and most recently i did a backflip and landed upside down underwater which completely filled the cab.

cage did its job but water pressure shattered the screen and completely destroyed the roof and bonnet.

pictures of that little misshap actually found its way into land rover wold mag jan 2013 issue

Pretty impressive getting in the magazine,I unfortunately missed that issue, but my father in law has a copy, so will take a read!

worst i have personally seen was paul bass's car after his roll at the king of the valleys 2012, it completely destroyed his car and was actually hard to look at due to its history and seeing the car evolve over the years

dan

Thanks Dan...I felt the same at the time, mainly tho because I wasn't able to carry on with the race!!

It wasn't as bad as it looked though, the front end was due for the chop anyway so not toooo bothered, I've just started work on the re-furb of it & the rear chassis legs just behind the fuel tank have tweaked down a bit but nothing that can't be fairly easily straightened, new roll cage, new extended A frame & fingers crossed she'll be ready for Muddy Truckers!!

I know there have been problems in the past with people having accidents on track days (both cars and motorcycles) and then 'staging' an accident on a road so they can try to fraudulently claim off of their insurance. Apparently this got bad enough for insurance firms to start visiting track day events. However the majority of accidents that happen in off road competitions surely don't lend themselves to staging an accident on the road?

Small dings and dents wouldn't be worth claiming for because of excess and most other off road accidents would take an awful lot of staging as they quite often involve a roll. Obviously these are just my thoughts but I think it is unlikely that there is any of this type of fraud going on.

EDIT: Not to mention the fact that you will get a big hike in your premium the following year

I think the worst damage I've done to my own vehicle in nearly 20 years of off road motor sport was when I sheared the main shaft in the steering box, this was followed by further major damage to the heavy duty drag link and underside of the vehicle by some moron of a "marshal" with a hydraulic winch who wanted to show off how fast he could winch a vehicle over tree stumps despite being told categorically that he was only there as a "safety net" in case my winch line broke as I winched myself backwards up a steep slope without any form of steering. (The first and certainly the last time I do a CSW event !).

I've not seen much in the way of bad damage off road, perhaps because most of the events I've taken part in over the years aren't speed based events. The majority of off road damage is low speed because the vast majority of off road events are low speed so even when things do go wrong the damage is normally minimal.

I've seen some amazing damage done to Land Rovers on the road though, usually by people who assume that all Land Rovers travel at 10MPH so pulling out of junctions in front of them is a good idea. Axles, chassis and chassis outriggers bent due to people who decide that their Corsa will fit through the gap as long as they go fast enough.