ibex 300 build

52 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Forst trip out off-roading? How was it?

He couldn't have picked a better weekend, sunshine was out but apparently, for those not born in Wales, a little chilly.

It coped well from what I saw when he followed me. He does have a little dent to straighten. In my defence I was not leading the way at that point. Although the same can't be said of a little Vitara...

Best moment for me was the Cheshire cat grin and laughter coming from him as he was let loose in the Argo. Pig in mud comes to mind.

I may have a small dink to straighten out. To be fair I was trying to drive over a tree and landed on a crossmember (but reversed off so not stuck :ph34r:). It performed well hopefully Mr Lang got some good photos. The gearing is a little tall which is ok most of the time. But I did get caught out a few times on steep climbs which resulted in a restart. What was interesting though was the restart coupled with more revs gave me a fair bit of front wheel spin (centre diff unlocked). I think this will settle with lower gearing or possibly a tweek to the injection pump. I'm still undecided on what to do with the gearing.

Thank you ed the Argocat was an absolute hoot.

Mike

21 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Why the unlocked centre diff? :unsure: 

Real men don't use diff locks until they have been stuck temporarily stationary for at least half an hour and have buried no less that 3 wheels completely in the ground.

Edited by daveturnbull

30 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Why the unlocked centre diff? :unsure: 

Mimicking me - I pushed the lever, think it went in but the light only came on 6h later... Besides - have you seen the size of his tyres :blink:, admittedly not the biggest there but gives him a decent advantage compared to "standard" Land Rovers.

We didn't do much slippy stuff (at least I didn't with him during the day on Saturday) but more climbs and descents. I am envious of his approach and departure angles though. It was nice to see the setup he had as a tank guard and tow hitch. Think I shall be replicated it now that I've seen something I like in the flesh. My tow-bar did it's job at protecting the tank - but I did shear a couple of bolts which made towing the Argo back to my parents a little more entertaining... :ph34r:

The climbs I had trouble on were hard packed gravel so the main reason for problems was wrong gear. I only use diff lock when I think traction is going to be lost. If you drove round that site in diff lock you wouldn't make half the corners and would break a halfshaft.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

6 minutes ago, RedLineMike said:

I whole heartedly disagree with that point

Why? I'm running 35's on standard axles. I understand opinion is divided on centre diff lock use but it does reduce turning circle and increase tyre scrub. So therefore the risk to halfshafts is higher.

Mike

I would side with @RedLineMike on this point. At no point other than entering the car park did I have the centre diff unlocked. There were only two points I had trouble making a corner, one was a hair-pin switch back in mud and trees on either side that no standard vehicle would have made it around, as it was it was a 5 point turn for me. The second was climbing out of that stream bed after we did the track with the sharp drop off that Teresa got out to take photos. But that might have been down to the fact that I was monitoring the air (or rather air leak) and had all three diffs lock :rolleyes: so there's only really one direction that the 110 goes in when that happens and it's straight on... There you could see proper tyre scrub on the track, once the front and rear were out then there was minimal scrubbing.

In the last 2 years or so I've now started locking the centre diff as a matter of course when not on tarmac (assuming I'm likely to be doing something a bit more technical than driving across a field) after thinking I'd potentially spun the centre diff dry (turns out I hadn't and the linkage was setup badly resulting in the diff not actually being disengaged despite me thinking it was). But then again apart from engine and gearbox it's now a fully Ashcroft / Nige drive train so should be up to what I normally use it for.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one then. In the training I had all be it years ago it was drive with the centre open until you come across a loose or muddy section.

All the main tracks are hard packed gravel (it was these where I had issue). The decent ed mentioned I was locked all the way down then unlocked when back on the main track.

Mike

• Like 1

Quite happy to agree to disagree but one last view point I have is that I run KM2s so (hopefully) the most likely thing to break is surface adhesion in the case of hard packed gravel. In fact I know that on the concrete yard and roads near my parents where I was having issues with the diff lock linkages you could hear / feel / see the tyres scrubbing. My opinion (it's my opinion and I'm not forcing it on anyone) is that if the half-shafts break instead of the tyres scrubbing in that situation then it's time to move onto a more sensible vehicle as that's a pretty pathetic strength in the drive train...

A fine looking machine, to be sure.

With respect to the halfshafts, yes, pathetic with standard power and standard tyres, but with 35s and I think a slightly boosted TDI I understand where Mike is coming from.

• Like 1