USB sockets to replace ciggarette lighter socket

reb78

As above - i just wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of USB sockets - perhaps a panel of three of them - that would be easy to wire in in place of the ciggarette lighter socket on the defender.

I have a couple of those short griffin chargers with two outputs, but the radio interference from them is so bad that i may as well throw them in the bin.

I guess like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-USB-double-socket-panel-mount-dual-charger-12-or-24V-DC-input-5V-2-1A-Out-/370656808956?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item564cde0ffc#ht_3314wt_1399

is the price realistic? I was wondering about a panel with at least three possibly more. I could fit two of the ebay items, but that is nearly £60!

Make some?

I did 5volt for my robot fish with voltage regulators okay. Somewhere on the net there has to be advice on a suitable ferite ring and capacitor. And because I am such a tight wad at times, I'd cut the ends off USB extension cables and wire them to a common block :)

I guess like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-USB-double-socket-panel-mount-dual-charger-12-or-24V-DC-input-5V-2-1A-Out-/370656808956?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item564cde0ffc#ht_3314wt_1399

is the price realistic? I was wondering about a panel with at least three possibly more. I could fit two of the ebay items, but that is nearly £60!

I bought one of those, don't forget if your an iPad user that the above has the higher amperage charging for the iPad. There also a little cheaper on their own website.

Those Blue Sea ones should last well, that is a marine accessories brand.

I agree it sounds a little pricey, but a decent ciggy lighter socket isn't cheap either.

Charging power output is normally regulated by the cable/charger unit. The car charger I have for my phone (micro USB) works fine with the phone, but won't charge my tablet. A look at The wall wart chargers explains why - one is twice the charge rate of the other.

I have one of the blue sea one and it works fine.

Only issue I had is with my sat nav the higher charge rate works and charges it fine but the sat nav thinks it is plugged into the computer and displays the linked to PC screen which it doesn't do on its own cig light socket lead, I assume it to do with the charge rate. Possible something I could do in the set up on the sat nav but since I still have the cig socket I just use that and use the USB socket for my phone. I expect this is a device specific problem (Garmin Nuvi) which could be fixed.

Most likely the data lines have resistance or a short on them to indicate it is a higher rate charger. Apple have different standards to others, so may not be a consistent requirement across chargers.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#Charging_ports_and_accessory_charging_adapters

It would have been, but i tried a couple and they caused so much radio interference that i couldnt listen to FM at all with it plugged in. That problem is what caused me to post the question about dedicated USB sockets.

Some good links in this thread. Thanks All!

I bought a 12v to 5v dc converter that I was going to wire into some usb sockets I've removed from some old PC's. Your mention of interference caused by the dc-dc converter has got me thinking, I shall now be doing a temporary install first of mine to see what the RFI is like before I commit to the full install.

IIRC, PC USB sockets are 5v @ 0.5 Amp, and a mains charger will put out 1 Amp - this is how your phone tells if it's connected to a PC, or just a charger. Obviously will charge quicker @ the 1 Amp.

Just something to bear in mind if making your own.

IIRC, PC USB sockets are 5v @ 0.5 Amp, and a mains charger will put out 1 Amp - this is how your phone tells if it's connected to a PC, or just a charger. Obviously will charge quicker @ the 1 Amp.

Just something to bear in mind if making your own.

A power supply will only "put out" what the load "asks for". USB protocol means that a device should use no more than 100ma, without communicating with the PC and requesting more. Obviously a charger is not a PC, and as such has no way of communicating with the phone.

The phone detects the difference between a PC and a Charger by the data lines on the USB connector. Most standard USB chargers short the data lines together, which makes the device realise its connected to a charger, rather than a Computer. It will then know it can request far greater charging currents.

If the charger doesnt short those pins, the device will remain in PC mode, and will charge very slowly.

To add to what Aragorn has said some manufacturers are a little devious and try to stop their devices from working with 3rd party adapters. Apple has tried a number of things in the past so don't be surprised if you can't charge Apple kit.

My Huawei phone discharges rapidly if plugged into anything other than it's own charger, but then charges up perfectly normally. On the usb adapter in the car it does the same unless the engine is running.

I have been told by an Apple phone guru that with iphones and ipads it checks the available charging current, which on most aftermarket chargers is too low, so it will refuse to charge, if you use a higher output charger they charge fine.