Oxford

www.migtig.arc.co.uk is worth a look through...

MTA 181 Compact Mig Welder - used one of a mates was impressed, a big powerfull simple kick **** bit of kit :D

Oxford Migmaker 180 Mig Welder baby Version of what I have (330 amp version) lovely welder

All made by Technical Arc, in York, who also make Portamigs

http://www.technicalarc.co.uk/home

I have had a Portamig 211 for about 8 years and it's a fantastic piece of kit. It's worth doing some research on www.mig-welding.co.uk

Luke

spot on! :i-m_so_happy:

after reading all them reviews, it seems the sealey and butters (aka SWP, my second link) all have good reviews.. :glare:

Sorry guys nothing particularly relevant to new Migs but you just took me back in time I guess to around 1971-1972 when I was a very young assistant to the Works Director of a fabrication company that made motorway bridge steel parapet railing and just getting into aluminium parapets. The old memory is fading but he took me to Norman E Butters I think in the Coventry area ? as they were one of the few people to manufacture Mig welders. We ended up buying a Mig that ran on a track to weld Ali section in a straight run. This was well before robot welders. As we were leaving a big older guy in a sleeveless shirt and open sandals, which was unheard of in those days, shuffled past. When we asked the obvious question they answered " thats Norman - the boss". A real extrovert and pretty much a genius. Good to hear the name is still going.

Snap On is rebadged cebora, they're half decent hobby welders. They also come up cheap, and there is loads about

Butters seem good too, there are a couple of 160amp 230v migs in the filler/repairs section at work, they remain reliable despite being uncared for, battered about, and operating in the most dusty dirty environment you could ask for

I know we all keep banging on about second hand industrial stuff but that's because it offers the best bang for your buck in most cases

Example, I bought my Aga 200 (amp) mig from ebay, it's an old industrial unit and can be run on 230v or 415v, there was no torch or bottle included in the sale price of £160 (eBay), a new binzl 4m torch was £60 (local fab shop), a roll of wire £15 and the gas is on account, oh yeah and a regulator. So for sub £250 I have a decent rebuildable reliable mig that almost holds it's value in scrap weight of copper (and this thing weighs a ton)

Try your hand at the preloved industrials or just pick something out of Machine Mart, either way you'll have a welder again

• 4 weeks later...

I am also in the market for a MIG welder, I currently only have a stick welder which I love but it is no good for car body panels and also not huge amounts of fun to use upside down welding a landy chassis

I want the MIG to be able to cope with bodywork up to say 4mm, I like the stick welder for the thicker stuff.

I have a budget of up to £400 max.

These are all in my area and seem to fit the bill from what has been mentioned above.

What do people think would be the best buy out of this lot?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350809995624?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_250wt_958

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321139892687?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_254wt_958

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230996578168?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_64wt_958

Thanks

Sam

in ref this welder:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/mig160en-turbo-no-gas-mig-welder

converted to gas.

its not perfect, and its taken me a while, but now ive got it working properly (new gas regulator) it has enough power to blow a hole in 5mm plate, and is doing perfect welds on full power on 5mm steel with excellent penetration and good control. im very impressed and i would recommend to anyone.

I have a sealy mighty mig 210.........or 250........what ever the top one is. its OK. the feed and arc is very smooth but you do have to start being very carefull with your gas/amp/feed settings when you go over 200 amps and the duty cycle is pretty good. you get the euro torch ect too. I think it was £350 when I bought it

@Forkrentfitter - I was watching the end of the auction but it went for more than I can afford, it ended at £460

Looks like the purchase of workshop equipment is going to be put on hold for a few months as today I had an offer accepted on a new house!

I have one of these, a Cemont CeMig 170T that I was considering (only considering mind - as I'm quite attached to it!) selling. I've had this for about 10 years and rate it very highly. Although it's 'only' 170A, It's put down some really nice welds, even on thick material. It's made 4 roll cages, welded on 2 rear cross members, made a few winch trays.

post-74-0-05893700-1371497208_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-75745400-1371497208_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-46590000-1371497209_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-30026900-1371497207_thumb.jpg

If you want it, I'm looking for £200 and you'll have to come get it from Horsham. I'll supply it with a couple of shrouds, numerous .6 & .8 tips and an almost full 15kg reel of 0.8mm wire. It will take 5kg reels too.

It has a Euro-Torch.

It will not come with the gas bottle or regulator.

I'll guarantee it too.

Why am I getting rid of it? I needed a more portable welder that I could carry - so got a Pearl Inverter Mig-o-matic-o-rama welder which only weighs 10kg including a reel of wire. It's not as nice to weld with (I don't think) but needs-must. I've not used the Cemont for a couple of months & I'm tripping up over it!

I know this really should be in the For Sale section - but that would mean I'd have to really persuade myself I want shot of it - and I'm not quite there yet! If you feel strongly - feel free to move it.

Even if you don't want it, I'd recommend Cemont as a great welder. Nick (Rogue Vogue / DeltaTek) uses one to weld winch drums together....I'm rapidly changing my mind.....

Hi Simon,

Sorry I have only just seen this. Thank you for your kind offer. I will have to pass (although I would love it!!) as SWMBO will kill me if I spend any house money on more car related items!

Sam

• 2 months later...
  • 9 years later...
On 5/12/2013 at 12:33 AM, Landy-Novice said:

hello, im just having a look round for a new welder after a dispute with my old one.. and cant decide what to get. and was after some advice and some reviews/experiences.

after all my research, I've narrowed it down to 3 with the clarke160tm being favorite.

Clarke 160TM- due to the good reviews and parts are easily available.

SWP Redline Mig 170- comes with euro torch as standard and is within budget but never heard of the make? but has 2yrs warranty.

sealey mightymig 170 is a "branded" product and also comes with a euro torch.

budget is £250-300, £350 tops!

cant be 3-phrase

must be a "quality" machine

and i dont want sip, draper, silverline, wolf or any cheap aldi £40 welders.

please discuss.

thanks. :)

mobile welding dallas ga

Hi , I am looking for a 240v Mig welder around the 180 amp size for general farm welding repairs. It will be for occasional use rather than serious work every day. One of my Herdsman is handy at welding and has used his own 120 amp Mig welder but it's not up to the job for some of the stuff we need to weld. He doesn't fancy using our 45 year old Max Arc stick welder!