Metal Vs. Plastic inner wings

The steel inner mudguard is part of the structure of the wing - the aluminium is so thin and soft on

90/110 wings it will have no stiffness without it . They are all galv'd I thought but do rust from the lower

edge sometimes

cheers

Steveb

The plastic ones have a soundproofing mat that goes over them on the later models, whether this is a separate part number or not I don't know. So if sound reduction is a priority they might be worth a shot on that merit. However knowing your car Ross I suspect it is not :P

Has anyone jumped up and down on a plastic wing inner?

Why would you want to?

They're only keeping the worst of the road muck out of the engine bay, and on an off-roader as Daan says you can live without them entirely given the benefit they bring.

Put Daan's truck on the scales opposite the average "challenge" 90 and see if you still think weight saving is pointless, every little helps and the benefits are numerous.

I didn't know we where talking about challenge trucks... I thought it was a general question put out there...

I regularly climb up onto my wings to get to the roof rack and have been know to let women perch on them... if the wing moved every time I did that I think I'd prefer it not too.

I climb on mine regularly too... one of the old ones has a brace to the wing top and its really rigid when stood on. However, the other side doesn't have the bracket and flexed a bit when stood right in the middle.

I've only ever seen my original set of wings for the 90 having the internal brace installed, all other wings I've come across don't have those braces, I'm not sure if it was a standard thing for older trucks or if it was a military add on to give more support for the Ariel boxes...

I regularly climb up onto my wings to get to the roof rack and have been know to let women perch on them... if the wing moved every time I did that I think I'd prefer it not too.

Well stick a small stiffener under it or (ugh) chequer plate on top, it'll still be lighter than a square metre of galvanised steel under there. My wings have no inners at all and I can stand on them.

I'm not specifically talking about challenge trucks, but a lot of them epitomise the approach of ignoring weight in favour of adding needless strength.

Well stick a small stiffener under it or (ugh) chequer plate on top, it'll still be lighter than a square metre of galvanised steel under there. My wings have no inners at all and I can stand on them.

I'm not specifically talking about challenge trucks, but a lot of them epitomise the approach of ignoring weight in favour of adding needless strength.

Hmm I have a continuous inner battle with actually what should be there as per LR sold it and what actually needs to be there for practicalities sake... I am getting better... slowly... maybe...

Aye, but a passing idiot might not realise that ;)

I count myself amongst those passing idiots :-)

But I digress.

If they are as rigid, or that's a red herring, then rustproof and lighter must be the answer.

We must also put some store in the fact that Land Rover decided it was a product worth superseding the earlier one.