an "extreme" off road truck

Zed0

opinions please..............

I have been pondering on this for a while now. Surfing through websites I see people describing their vehicles as "extreme". What does it make it extreme tho???? :unsure:

example - take a vehicle, put on a winch, lift it, put on bigger tyres, rollcage, nav systems, improve handling, engine, springs, shocks. This could easily be my vehicle, but I dont think of it as extreme :(

And I think that the above could decribe nearly all uk off road vehicles.

I have decided that to ME the title "extreme off roader" means that a vehicle have taken part in "extreme" competitions and at least finishes :) (or tried :D ) / or is somehow sooo different from the norm that it stands out.....

what do you think?

I think that, like the word 'genius' (in everyday life), the word 'extreme' (in our context) is overused and under-rated. ;)

Al.

Your right there

I have decided that to ME the title "extreme off roader" means that a vehicle have taken part in "extreme" competitions and at least finishes (or tried ) / or is somehow sooo different from the norm that it stands out.....

If thats the case my Freelander is a "Extreme off roader" as it got half way through the 2004 Dakar rally before it was crashed and limped home.

My challenge truck won two challenges so does that count..

the other freelander has on the british off road production class championships two years on the trot so does that count.... :)

mmmm good question

I think that, like the word 'genius' (in everyday life), the word 'extreme' (in our context) is overused and under-rated. ;)

Yep. "Extreme" must be something that is in the top 1% of its field. For example, in terms of ugliness, we would be talking perhaps John Prescott or anything made by Bellargio :hysterical:

Bathtub or Moglite would be things that I might rate as extreme because they are fantastic and different and desirable. A 90 which has collided with the Scrap Iron Racing window display, I would not rate as extreme, even if they managed to get the whole catalogue on there (might need some stronger springs boys).

In fact I would say that anything that can be built entirely from off the shelf components is unlikely to rate as "extreme" unless there is some real ingenuity involved? :unsure:

When I hear 'extreme' or 'ultimate' off road truck I always think of someone selling a lifted disco with MT's on ebay.

It reminds me

I was chatting to a guy from another local club some years ago at a Shire's day when I made the fatul error of saying that his S111 looked very nice (I ment very standard and not hacked about).

his respons was "well I have very highly modified it, you know"

"Oh god" under my breath :huh:

"I have fitted a bull bar and spot lights"

"and it has a K&N filter"

"right ok and very nice it is to" I've said (sat in a full trial spec lightweigh V8) :lol:

But in his DVD Mark Evans says his 100" is "fully extreme" - so there you go, that is as extreme as you can get :P

GUDVD5158.jpg

Extreme is now a pointless label applied by people to vehicles in the same way boy racers apply the term "tuning" to bolting a baked bean can on the back of a Nova and chopping the springs down <_<

I think you're close - extreme is probably best measured by what the vehicle can do (or HAS DONE) not the amount of bling that's been thrown at it.

I guess its all personal opinion and therefore relative, Green, Alexi, Jare, Roope, Petsis, Mumme, Peets, Suur etc etc define extreme for me - theres some nice things happening in the UK but theres so far to go and so many luddites to ignore :lol:

I dont think there can be a universal "extreme" whats normal for one may be defined lunacy by another :unsure:

you could say 'extreme' should be applied to a vehicle that is far removed from its original spec... like petal (was a series truck once, or at least, has series bodywork) or moglite (started life as a rangie chassis)

...Jules' dakar freelander must be classed as 'extreme', as its far removed from show-room spec and has been modified to do one thing.... and do it at the expense of comfort and soundproofing...

i'm not sure a history of competition wins automaticaly earns a vehicle the 'extreme' label afterall, its the driver who wins competitions, not the vehicle, and a truely gifted driver could probably beat most of the oposition in a near standard vehicle....

if its all about what the vehicle has done, then all those people who have done proper expeditions must have been driving 'extreme' vehicles... my disco might even be 'extreme' as it went to the sahara and back in august....

as the others have said, its like 'hate' or 'genius' the words are so overused, they hardly mean anything.... there are plenty of 'extreme' corsas and fiestas round here... with their 'extreme' exhausts and 'extreme' LED lighting... the only realy 'extreme' thing is how badly they are driven...

i'd like to think the 'extreme' badge fits mega modified vehicles, be it for speed, winch challenge events, overlanding.... anything that has been seriously worked-on to improve its performance.......

I guess its all personal opinion and therefore relative, Green, Alexi, Jare, Roope, Petsis, Mumme, Peets, Suur etc etc define extreme for me - theres some nice things happening in the UK but theres so far to go and so many luddites to ignore :lol:

I dont think there can be a universal "extreme" whats normal for one may be defined lunacy by another :unsure:

Extreme should not be confind to challenge trucks...

freezing your nuts of and Driving through a masive bog is extreme but so is racing non stop for 17 days in soft sand and 50c temps with marathon stages and none service stages when service is not aloud

The Mitubush Evo 3 has done some very extreme things out on the Dakar and other raid events setting racing records for average speeds across the desserts...

The Bowlers have done us brits proud with being the most places in the top 20 of the dakar over any other car

That's rubbish. Any truck can be extreme. Mine certainly is. At times it is:

"extremely annoying"

"extremely time consuming"

"extremely effing broken"

often resulting in repairs that I find

"extremely expensive"

and SWMBO often refers to it {and I am paraphrasing b/c she is far too well spoken to actually use these terms, but it would be an accurate translation} as:

"an extreme POS"

:P

extreme - - bolting on rockets so you can fly/hover - now that would be a tad extreme, or turning the Landy into a tumbler (with tracks - like a tank , all over it , so it didn't matter if you fell over or not.)

or

something like the transformers have..

:D

That's rubbish. Any truck can be extreme. Mine certainly is. At times it is:

"extremely annoying"

"extremely time consuming"

"extremely effing broken"

often resulting in repairs that I find

"extremely expensive"

and SWMBO often refers to it {and I am paraphrasing b/c she is far too well spoken to actually use these terms, but it would be an accurate translation} as:

"an extreme POS"

:P

Stickers - you can't have an extreme truck without having lots of stickers :lol:

and chequer plate... i did hear that scapiron had registered the word 'extreme' and only they were allowed to use it... afterall, they are 'the extreme team' ;)

my series 3 does not count as extreme after all it only has a cage 32 " simex, a 8274 and parabloics otherwise it is standard hence i compete in standard class

however it has been known to beat some "extreme" vehicles.

paul

FFS<

I hate this nonsense........

People who refer to their trucks as "Extreme" or "Ultimate" etc normally are sad individuals who have a hugely inflated ego re their truck and their abilities, and sadly the truth is more that they are just plain Bores, poor to average drivers (some "Extreme trucks" are never ever off road) who are 'legends in their own minds' - but no-one elses, the more they are ignored and laughted at the more they try..... :angry: .

I absolutely hate the Extreme this and ultimate that, .....my mate races a 'P.O.S' racer, built from bits form a skip, engine is all s/h bits .....some from the floor of my shed, .....home made porting .....90 thou off the heads etc etc , and runs carbs and points, he always finishes and is always highly placed, often beating £££££ racer trucks with engines in them costing literally 10x his whole racer... :)

His truck is not ultimate or extreme and neither is he, but the B**l**s thats spoken in the pits is awesome, ......he smiles ......and then trounces them in action, they then shuffle their feet, and still the Bu*****t comes out from them.....

Sadly this ultimate / extreme garbage is a figment of the totally **** UK 4x4 mags, they wouldn't make decent Loo paper between them, let alone the ultimate wipe :)

Long live individuality, innovation, excentric ideas, and like minded individuals, those who fancy being extreme and ultimate can **** off :lol: and exchange dreams and exagerations about themselves their abilities and their unfounded knowledge base of being an expert (another nonsense word) of knowing everything about F all, these same "Ultimate and Extreme" pill*cks often talk the talk but have poor to zero mechanical knowledge, no skills in fabrication and the only thing they are good at is talking nonsense and beliving others give a **** what they think

Ooooo

Think this may have touched a nerve here :lol:

<cough> I'll just quietly shuffle off now ..................................... :unsure:

Nige

Think extreme........

Simple....

Icelandic offroaders......Thats extreme.

The top lads at the OBC.....7litre+ super charged v8's with a meter of suspension travel

The Nutters in Proto at Ladoga.......Mad..Quite mad...

The blokes at Muddy truckers........Eeerrrrrr No.... :o aaaaaaaaalthough it was very tough

The chaps at Argyl.......Yes, sort of... :huh: Beat me

The RFC competitiors.....Yes, most definatly... :)

The MWMT.....???? ..NO :lol:

So why do i feel this way...?

Simple, I can't do any of the really top stuff cos it's extreme, the rest is acheivable......

When/if i get the chance to tackle the others, then perhaps i'll change my mind...

But until then

Jim :)

90 with simex and safari snorkel...Extreme.....?? Not in a million years :lol: