Land Rover auto jumbles

jbs

Where we are talking about knowingly buying stolen goods - then what you've said is the 'it's someone else's problem' mentality.

Not one I subscribe to. For me it's about doing the right, putting myself in the shoes of the victim and trying to do the right thing by them, as I would hope someone might do for me.

It may be unrealistic but if no one knowingly bought stolen goods then their market would shrink and we'd all be that bit less likely to get our Landy nicked.

I agree completely. I may be naïve but I think a community like ours should try to be totally ethical and honest, and help each other by refusing to support crime.

Barry

I wonder what would happen if everyone going to autojumbles started asking for receipts and ID from private sellers? Or even better if one of the big autojumbles started insisting on sellers showing ID and giving receipts.

I think that's a good idea in all honesty.

I wonder what would happen if everyone going to autojumbles started asking for receipts and ID from private sellers? Or even better if one of the big autojumbles started insisting on sellers showing ID and giving receipts.

I've done pretty much that - buying for the company & needing a receipt. For most vendors it's not a problem and if it is, I find someone else. I don't think I've ever had to pay more in these circumstances as they are also the least 'haggle friendly' vendors.

Puma bonnet for £150 L-N ......... now that bargain could quite likely be too good to be true couldn't it?

haha, i was just waiting for that!! :lol: it was badly damaged!! 1st plan with it was going to cut the 'hump' out and fix it to mine. but decided to repair it. don't believe me?? no problem :)

I agree, if nobody buys stolen goods then they won't be able to sell them.

thats a very good idea. but may put off the good people also as its another hassle? :)

I think that's a good idea in all honesty.

Me too. Giving ID and receipts I don't think would upset the genuine guys. But would certainly put off the bad guys.

I for certain wouldn't buy parts that I had even the smallest suspicion of being stolen. If anyone knowingly buys stolen goods then they are fueling the problem. Buying the parts gives them the market and more reason to steal. Taking the market away makes it harder to sell the parts and makes our vehicles safer.

I've done pretty much that - buying for the company & needing a receipt. For most vendors it's not a problem and if it is, I find someone else. I don't think I've ever had to pay more in these circumstances as they are also the least 'haggle friendly' vendors.

I think I shall follow your lead then Si, it's a small step but if enough of us start doing it then you never know but it might just become the norm.

I guess it might be a good idea to take a pen and pad with you to save the excuse of not having anything to write a receipt out on.

Yeh 10% on ebay, then another 2.5%ish on paypal, its quite a chunk.

I did the big jumble at Newbury earlier this year and tbh i found it to be packed. I've never been before, so no direct comparison, but it certainly wasnt quiet and i easily spent all day there. Perhaps the traders are just consolidating the time/effort into one or two big shows a year, rather than spending lots of time going to each and every one?

how you work that out?

:rofl: :rofl:

Well, Sherlock, it's like this, and it's like what's been said elsewhere in this thread.

People like you who are happy to buy stolen parts create demand -> people who are happy to steal do so to meet the demand from people like you -> the people who steal stolen parts put them up for sale at markets and online to satisfy your demand for stolen parts -> you happily buy stolen parts, thinking you've got a good deal -> people who steal to sell see there is a market and they establish a supply chain. Repeat.

It is because of people like you and others of your kind that so many of your Land Rovers are being stolen and ripped apart, to be sold as parts.

Now, I need to clean the smears from my brick wall.

Landy Novice

stop digging yourself deeper in the hole

your digging being a prat and annoying

or you'll be on mod approval

take note and wind Your neck in

this is not the 1st time you've appeared

on the a&m radar but could Be your last...

yes sir, sorry sir and wont happen again. :i-m_so_happy:

I know you're a troll. I just wanted to say it.

you wish to go to PM? speak to me like that and expect it back. :)

@nige....... its not Dew110 again with a new username is it?

nope.

Nige, Thanks for doing that he was starting to be a pain as per the norm!, and as far as my original question was an observation from a friend, I'm glad there are some/most of us who are straight down the line as regards to stolen bit's for Land Rovers, many thanks for all who've contributed to the thread-If anyone else wants to contribute please feel free, It'll be interesting as to see what others have to say about it.

I agree about e-bay maybe being to blame and also the fact that the show being small/not worth it for many traders at Eastnor but I'm hoping as I quite like it there it'll pick up again next year

John

Sort of back on to the topic....

I have been to the Skipton 4x4 autojumble twice.

For me, its pretty useless

Apart from two commercial sellers i use,

most of the stalls are full of old tat.

I do try and look interested as i walk around,

but it doesnt take all that long tbh.

Im normally in and out within the hour and that includes a brew.

If a seller looks dodgy then i just walk straight past.

Having said that i recently went for my driving licence renewing and the post office bloke

asked if the photo was from when i was in prison

I would die if any of my landys were stolen and always try to buy things all above board.

Even if i do pay more for them but i also try to use reputable sellers

Many folk say that Newbury and Malvern are far better,

But they are also a lot father to travel

i may get there one day

I must admit, after a few years of not going old sod, I went this year (or was it last? Can't remember) anyway I was hugely surprised with the turnout of stalls.

I suppose the other issue is the cost of a stall at the shows?? I know my national club hasn't gone to a couple of shows this year this being one of the reasons I think

Having said that i recently went for my driving licence renewing and the post office bloke
asked if the photo was from when i was in prison
Blimey :hysterical:

I would die if any of my landys were stolen and always try to buy things all above board.

Even if i do pay more for them but i also try to use reputable sellers

Agreed

John