Land Rover auto jumbles

jbs

Has anyone else noticed that when you've been to an autojumble like I did over the weekend at the Eastnor show that there is and was a lack of Land Rover autojumble available?, A friend who I went with made an off hand remark about maybe it was because of the lack of stolen gear available-i.e:. with regards to the police clamping down on it then there'll less available for joe public to buy!

Now not everyone will be selling stolen parts at an autojumble and i apologise to those that are cosher-But what she said did make sense.

What do you think?

John

Gosh.

I mind. Not just for empathy to those affected but, to coin another phrase: if your not part of the solution then you're part of the problem.

I don't want to support the livelihood of thieves.

couldn't agree more

tbh i class myself in the 'part of the solution' because AFAIK i haven't intentionally bough any hot parts BUT i would if the price is right lol.

honestly. i dont really mind if i buy parts that are stolen or not. as long as there the right price and i don't get in trouble. someone somewhere is getting lots of stolen parts cheap and are getting away with it.

if you cant beat them, join them.

And here is the reason your vehicle is at increased risk of being stolen.

honestly. i dont really mind if i buy parts that are stolen or not. as long as there the right price and i don't get in trouble. someone somewhere is getting lots of stolen parts cheap and are getting away with it.

if you cant beat them, join them.

Don't expect any sympathy when it's your truck that gets stolen.

What a stupid thing to say.

I think what Landy Novice meant to say is, once you get to an Autojumble where parts are being sold to joe public, there isn't much you can do to satisfy beyond all doubt that you're buying kosher parts. If a seller has lots of panels that seem too straight to be true (and a bad attitude), walk away and have a quiet word with the constable patrolling the site. Other than that, you take a caculated risk at an autojumble. I've no wish to support the illicit trade in stolen parts, but neither will I spend hours having moral dilemmas.

I can sort of see his point though.

Lets say you turn up at a autojumble desperately needing some new doors, after wandering round you come across a spotlessly mint pair for a decent price...

Do you buy them? Or do you say "nah, they're too mint they've probably been nicked from a 13 plate TDCI, i'll leave them and buy those dented in half knackered ones along there that are almost the same price..."

They could be perfectly legit ofcourse, someone might have rear ended the 90 and its been broken up for spares by a fully registered breakers, and you've just passed on a perfect set of doors, or they could be red hot having been stolen the night before, you simply dont know. The folk selling them arent walking around in stripy tshirts or advertising the fact they're pro-car-thiefs are they?

If they are stolen, then by that point the theft has already happened, and if you dont buy them, someone else will, so by not purchasing them all your achieving is not getting some decent doors. You cant report them, because you dont actually have any evidence other than a hunch that they're perhaps a bit too new looking. Your hardly going to spend your time at a jumble eyeballing every stall with things that might be "a bit too new looking" and running off to the cops are you?

Quite different to someone coming upto you and sayign "oi mate, i've got a red hot 62 plate 90 here, you can buy the whole thing for 2 grand if you want it or you can have any parts off it for good prices!"

I would imagine that the lack of autojumble at Eastnor was down to the fact many didn't want to go back after the disaster they had last year.

I know I heard a couple of traders saying they may not bother next year due to it being quite a quiet weekend. On the plus side as a buyer it was nice to be able to look things over on the saturday and not have to worry that it would be sold by the time I went back on the sunday.

If they are stolen, then by that point the theft has already happened, and if you dont buy them, someone else will, so by not purchasing them all your achieving is not getting some decent doors.

Where we are talking about knowingly buying stolen goods - then what you've said is the 'it's someone else's problem' mentality.

Not one I subscribe to. For me it's about doing the right, putting myself in the shoes of the victim and trying to do the right thing by them, as I would hope someone might do for me.

It may be unrealistic but if no one knowingly bought stolen goods then their market would shrink and we'd all be that bit less likely to get our Landy nicked.

I wasnt talking about knowingly buying stolen stuff, that was covered in my last sentence.

I was talking about coming across some parts that could potentially be stolen, but could also potentially be perfectly legitimate. The vast majority of stuff sold at jumbles or on ebay falls into that category.

If you give thieves money for stolen goods, they have a market and will steal more vehicles, if you don't buy stolen goods then there's no point stealing something when you can't sell it!

It's about seeing the bigger picture -if diamonds weren't valuable, no-one would try and steal them, would they?

L-N, I suggest you think about this a bit before you post about it again :)

If you give thieves money for stolen goods, they have a market and will steal more vehicles, if you don't buy stolen goods then there's no point stealing something when you can't sell it!

It's about seeing the bigger picture -if diamonds weren't valuable, no-one would try and steal them, would they?

coundn't agree more as that is all true. but for an example someone offers me a stolen puma bulkhead for £100. i would have there arm off.

i dont see the difference in say no anyway. one person(like me) saying no isnt going to stop defenders being stolen is it.. no! there is a world wide demand for cheap defenders/parts.

ofc i dont want ANY vehicles being stolen, especially defenders but i cant stop them, no one can (inc police).

considering i haven't (to my knowledge) bought stolen parts or ever been offered or even know who steals them, me intentually buying hot parts just isnt going to happen.

plus why focus on tom, dick and harry who buy the odd hot parts? why not focus on the thieves and the breaker yards that are buying stolen defenders? :rtfm:

plus why focus on tom, dick and harry who buy the odd hot parts? why not focus on the thieves and the breaker yards that are buying stolen defenders? :rtfm:

They wouldn't be in business if no-one bought suspect parts! That's why.

Sorry, last post on this, I'm not in the habit of banging my head against a brick wall.

I agree, if nobody buys stolen goods then they won't be able to sell them.

I wonder what would happen if everyone going to autojumbles started asking for receipts and ID from private sellers? Or even better if one of the big autojumbles started insisting on sellers showing ID and giving receipts.