Competition Time - Name the New Product - Winner gets a set !

Hybrid_From_Hell

Keep em coming.

There are some worthy possibilities in here....I am going to let it run some more and see what comes up say by the end of the week....

The issue is as has been mentioned by Si R and others - naming it so its found on Google makes sense and is memorable is frankly tricky, and a tad beyond me.

Megasquirt is a TM name, I have permission from Bruce Bowling who kindly let me use it in the UK under the comany name, but I wnat this to be 100% sepearte from Megaanything so as not to poach / use / encompass the megasquirt name in anyway, Megawipe might be OK, but morally I think its wrong so I won't as it uses / debases the megasquirt name ...

I am also thinking of a heater unit for this system as well, so on cold days you can have hot water as well !

And a few other mad products.

Its trickier than just "I like that one" what if I can come out with something else, can I tag it like Si cleverly did with the X Branding....

Oh happy retirment barker :lol:

Thanks all, keep em coming :D

Nige

For a 'brand' maybe you could use 'hybrid products'? The wiper product being 'hybrid wipers'? Trouble is that might conjure up all kinds of carp when googled. So... to go with your reputation of having a fondness of big pieces of metal and making things last/making things properly, how about 'overkill products' and 'overkill wipers'? Or 'overblown products'? Or even 'excess/ excessive products' being spelt as 'XS products'?

Anyway enough from me....

have you seen the size of Si R at X_Eng :ph34r:

You'll get no trouble from me Mr B! (Just so long as you pitch up with Jaffa Cakes occasionally ;) )

I'm interested in the heater idea. Presumably something different to the 'Hot Shot' thing?

On a related subject, I once made a water heater out of a couple of metres of brake pipe and a screenwash pump. Used a winch solenoid to short out the battery through the pipe which would get red hot within seconds without the water flowing through it. With the length of pipe, it was just right to deliver water ay 90C - ideal for tea making! I just had the end of the tube poking out the dash with a button next to it. Worked very well until my passenger thought "I wonder what this red button does" shortly followed by "I wonder where the nearest A&E is to tend to my burned knee!" There was a certain amount of shouting & several rude words omitted from the last bit. ;) Your accident stories always remind me of this!

Si

I would imaging on the heating side of things it doesn't need to be immediate heat. It could be small heating element in the tank that heats the water to something like 50 degrees C whenever the engine is running.

It would be sensible to remove the one way valve if this is fitted as then water could drain back from the wiper arms and hopefully not leave frozen water in the pipes. Once the engine is running and the water in the washer bottle defrosted / heated hopefully you should get flowing water in all temperatures.

If the water is frozen in the pipes throughout the system, heating a resevoir is unlikely to solve the frozen in the pipe overnight problem but should help keep the system working once defrosted. (Presumably by engine / cab heat?)

(Doesn't the hot shot actually run the pump backwards for a short while after squirting to pull water back from the pipes?)

I would prefer to know water is coming and have to wait a few seconds for the pipe to be filled than not get any water at all due to frozen pipes...

Neil

I would imaging on the heating side of things it doesn't need to be immediate heat. It could be small heating element in the tank that heats the water to something like 50 degrees C whenever the engine is running.

It would be sensible to remove the one way valve if this is fitted as then water could drain back from the wiper arms and hopefully not leave frozen water in the pipes. Once the engine is running and the water in the washer bottle defrosted / heated hopefully you should get flowing water in all temperatures.

If the water is frozen in the pipes throughout the system, heating a resevoir is unlikely to solve the frozen in the pipe overnight problem but should help keep the system working once defrosted. (Presumably by engine / cab heat?)

(Doesn't the hot shot actually run the pump backwards for a short while after squirting to pull water back from the pipes?)

I would prefer to know water is coming and have to wait a few seconds for the pipe to be filled than not get any water at all due to frozen pipes...

Neil

in tank repeated heating of the washer fluid could, in theorey, contribute to the "risk" of leigonairres from the warmed up washer fluid.

a "on delivery" heater would only heat the water to be used so there is no more risk than standard.

although who has ever actually caught legionnaires from a windscreen washer?

Hmmmm

I am beginning to like the idea of a "XS-Product Range" Excess as in HD OTT :D

As I now do HD Ceramic Clutch Plates Cover and very shortly CNC Billet Release centres I could incorporate many into a brand range

XS-Wiper-somethingorother

XS-Cermaic Clutch

XS-Release unit

XS-blah de blah

So, could be 2 x prizes if I go this route

1 x XS_

1x product

Keep the ideas coming, off to the Hospital now for head check up (yes thanks all the jokes - see my title FFS ...... :( )

Hmmmmm

Nige

in tank repeated heating of the washer fluid could, in theorey, contribute to the "risk" of leigonairres from the warmed up washer fluid.

a "on delivery" heater would only heat the water to be used so there is no more risk than standard.

I wouldn't have thought it's any worse than when the tank is warmed by engine heat? Just makes it more of a year round problem.

Very unlikely to be as big a legionnaires risk as the air-con in your daily euro-box!

The way my lucks going.....

With this in mind would a small immersion tank type thingy wotsit work? The tank would hold the washer fluid and the pump, and would have a coil of pipe running through it (like an immersion tank). The coil of pipe is plumbed into your coolant , so once your coolant is hot, the coil heats up, and heats the washer fluid through conduction. Simple and reliable.... if it would work?

However even if this was to work, it may be a problem on diesel engines in cold weather as I understand they can struggle to 'get warm'?

But... on the plus side it wouldn't be exclusive to just Land Rovers....

My thought on the matter was to use a length of NiChrome http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.Xnichrome+wire&_nkw=nichrome+wire&_sacat=0&_from=R40 wire running from the pump to the ends on the tubes on the blades and loop back to the pump.

The water in the reservoir rarely freezes, but it does regularly in the tubes. This would not be enough to heat the water, just enough to defrost and ensure that it does not freeze - so could probably just be left on with the ignition, consuming a couple of amps.

Si