Weld on replacement diff pans

Looking at options to replace my diff pans. I've got rid of the diff guards in favour of fitting some weld on HD diff pans. Been looking around at the various options. Are there any I've missed? I'm not wanting to go down the pipe cap route as I want some shape to the pan.

Favourite so far from Gwyn Lewis: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Land-Rover-Diff-Pan-DIY-Heavy-Duty-Off-Road-ARB-air-locker-Gwyn-Lewis-4x4-/171155225793?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item27d9a57cc1

Second from Gigglepin: http://gigglepin4x4store.gostorego.com/gp-reinforced-diff-pan.html

These look quite nice but are a bit thinner: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DISCOVERY-1-HEAVY-DUTY-DIFF-PAN-/231037650763?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35caeac74b

Devon 4x4 ones are an option, albeit an expensive one!!

If you've replaced your diff pans with something HD... what did you use and what are your thoughts on it?

Have Gigglepin on both of my diffs, the stood up to a year of competing so far.

You need to be a good welder to get them to seal on first pass (I'm not a expert weld and had one or two pin hole leaks on start/stop joins when checking with a much thinner liquid than diff oil, a second pass fixed them)

I'm using Gwyn Lewis weld on diff guards so cannot comment from experience on any of these.

Aesthetically I prefer the gigglepin ones, they are the most subtle/oem and I find that appealing

However all of the above are quite costly, there is a company in the midlands called MIB which weld on diff pans, they are £55 each but regularly have them on offer at £40, half the price of most others. The only thing I don't like about the MIB ones is the drain plug they use appears to be a standard M16 bolt rather than a proper plug

The MIB website is carp but you can find them on Facebook easy enough

http://miboffroad.co.uk/our-products/

https://m.facebook.com/pages/MIB-offroad-ltd/259348604075692?_rdr

£118 for the GL pan and it's not welded up ?? any decent fab shop could plasma the blanks and form that up in a press brake for half that amount

......and just how does the gigglepin one " improve gear meshing " ????

hohum

cheers

Steveb

In fairness Steve the GL item is for a "PAIR" ;)

Been eyeing them up for a while now.

Like the wapsipurt one though but the missing 1mm in the thickness is worrying, you know with it being 5mm thick an not 6mm an all that :P

......yeah I suspected so

Don't you have anything to make it at work Ross ? even if you couldn't bend it flat sections welded together well would

look fine . The main curve could be in 8mm and then 5 or 6mm for the side profiles for a bit of added finesse

cheers

Steveb

A thicker diff pan will stop the axle case flexing a little, so a marginal benefit I would say, but there is probably an ounce of truth there :)

Personally I would like to be able to unbolt my diff pans, so with a suspect diff it is only a few bolts and you can take a look, or retrieve half shaft ends....

......yeah I suspected so

Don't you have anything to make it at work Ross ? even if you couldn't bend it flat sections welded together well would

look fine . The main curve could be in 8mm and then 5 or 6mm for the side profiles for a bit of added finesse

cheers

Steveb

Trouble with work is finding any mild steel! 99% of stuff is aluminium or stainless... the other 1% ali bronze!

Just reading this with interest! & it's just my 2pence worth!!

I went with the d44 ones nearly 3 years ago now & have not regretted doing so! Their product is super strong & easy to fit. The stainless grade type material @ 5mm thick is I was told the equivalent to 13mm thick mild steel.

I was worried as I do events, that running without a diff guard was going to cause problems but when you see the videos of the punishment they can take that's what made my mind up!

Also the fact that you can remove the front half & inspect the condition of the diff inside without removing the diff was simple. Especially nice to be able to do if something has gone wrong in a muddy field!

They have had 3 years of abuse & I can honestly say I would purchase again without hesitation & have been hassle free!

HTH

Kev

I've got KAM ones. Being able to get inside is a bit vital on a KAM locker! Downside is another gasket to leak.

I run QT over the top, as they make good slipper things when it is grounded.

I suppose the cheap getto hack of the year would be; cut old cover off, cut the nose off an old diff case, bolt remainder to the blank ring that's behind the diff cover and weld a blanking plate onto the truncated diff case :)