Views on Holes in Bonnets to aid Cooling - Views please

The EWP pump has made a HUGE difference to the 5.2.

(More on this later on the build up thread), but when off roading with the underneath blocked the heat / hot air striggles to get out

have thought for a long time about Bonnet holes a la :

post-22-0-84853700-1407679862_thumb.jpg

So, for those that have experience, pros and cons ?

Steve F (Off Road Toad) says he thought they worked and also stopped the inside steaming up so much when wading, but would like a few more views before Mr Holesay has a party :D

Thoughts please ?

n

Stick a block of wood under the front to hold the bonnet open a few inches and put a ratchet strap over it.

That should tell you if venting the engine bay is likely to make any difference.

You could get really technical and use a thermocouple to measure before and after temp's within the engine bay.

I have a multimeter with a themrocouple that works well and cost about £30 in Maplin, so it's easy to do.

What you put and where very much depends on what speed you need it to function , as high pressure areas eg on wingtops when moving will stop any vents in that area from working as you would expect , eg forcing air in rather than extracting out , like wise at rear of bonnet . In some cases a rear facing vent might work whereas a front facing would not . Size of mesh can also have quite a large effect . There was quite a bit of interest in this subject in Australia (surprised!) as with the V8 in a defender the footwells and seatbase get so hot that you get burned on contact . HTSH

I just fitted a couple of small rubber feet under my bonnet on the 80" to clear the radiator cap which is was rubbing sligthly, but during my many testdrives today I could clearly see a difference in the temp. A couple of other series in my club have done this mod too, because of heat issues (they run elec fans, i run stock S3) and they both say it does help heaps. So possibly a better mod? Atleast it is easier to reverse :)

We probably had the biggest problem of anyone for a while, as so many folk went to injection or Diesel before winch challenge got going? But It really caused us some heart ache with fuel boiling! The biggest cause of heat is the exhaust manifolds, which are less bad on a four bangers, as air can go up one side and down the other. On the V8 they are both pushing up like hot air balloons. I didn't think I could pull more air than they could generate, so we went for a blower fan to keep the carbs cool. But if you have a front rad I think a bonnet fan pulling air out would be good in a mud hole.

Either way up, we arn't talking some little 2" holes here. If you need to dump all that rad air out through the top it's BIG hole time :)

BeastBonnetMod2014_zps227a67b3.jpg

Have you considered a bigger gearbox tunnel? Sometimes you just need to give the air an easy escape route?

And what about a bonnet with the back edge cut off? There's a funny reverse vortex thing going on infront of the windscreen above 25mph. It might suck air out?

It was quite a shocker as I watched my frost blanket start moving along the bonnet to the front :)

Oh dear, my first look at it (and without reading a thing) made me think he's installed a sunroof on his bonnet! A second look showed me otherwise, but the shininess (which I'm not used to) and what appears to be a handle of some sort made me think sunroof.

Perhaps an electric sunroof is the right idea? Then you can turn it on/off when needed?

post-11857-0-40056700-1407696076_thumb.jpg

If its just underbonnet temp you want to drop rather than actual running temp then getting unheated airflow increase will do the trick , eg as they did to a small extent on the TD5 with the little air intakes on the front wings , although it needs to get pretty high before you have to have a refrigerated heat exchanger on the fuel line like in the XJS V12 !

And THAT is absolutely brilliant, have printed of to read in the bath later ....now...all you have to do is to get that image out of your mind .... :D

:i-m_so_happy: The shower, or the bathtub are excellent places to come up with the best solutions to problems or issues one might have. Plenty of times it has worked for me :)

I bookmarked that site ages ago when looking for info on venting the engine compartment. In summer I could hardly keep my foot on the clutch or brake pedal as it got really hot (exhaust just behind the bulkhead). The exhaust has been rerouted but I thought that those louvred panels on the side of the wings might be a good idea too, behind the front wheels. Gives the air that gets 'trapped' in those corners a place to escape.

Ceramic coating the exhaust manifolds stop it getting so hot in first place ?

Thats a good call.

I run a lhd s3 rh wing, and a rhd s3 lh wing, so have the vent holes in both of them (no heater installed). That works, but the change that worked best for this problem is to remove the inner wheelarches, if you haven't done so already.

The trouble with anything in bonnet is that it serves to end up in the cabin when the venting flaps are open, so I have always tried to avoid it.

In line with Daan, I used a 200 Tdi LH wing and a 300Tdi RH wing with just the "intake" plastic grilles installed with nothing behind them. Making them vent grilles instead. With the 3.5 Efi fitted at the time, the electric fan hardly ever came on. Even in traffic.