Hydroforming at home

Back on topic though, Mr Freezer what things could you envisage making using hydroforming?

Not sure really, as mentioned above it's great for 2-stroke exhausts (which is where I'd heard of a mate-of-a-mate doing it), also as mentioned they use it a lot these days for car bodyshells so I'm assuming they inflate the metal into some sort of mould. For smaller, complicated parts I wonder how heavy duty the mould would have to be - could you whittle it from wood, or a plaster cast of a part, or 3D print it (with some reinforcement)...?

Not sure I have a specific use in mind. I guess things like tanks (fuel/water/whatever) to fit in funny shaped nooks and crannies are the obvious one. Exhaust manifolds and funny shaped bends etc. Could make a very bling stainless shower tray for the camper I suppose!

Usually making nice curves / rounded shapes in metal is quite hard, hence why so much stuff ends up with square edges and angles, maybe this would open a few doors.

I suppose it would be a good source for curves/domes etc to be welded into other parts being made. Interested in the moulding idea, I guess strength of the mould would be directly related to both the metal thickness and the amount the metal will need to stretch to follow the details.

Following the previous two posts, also got me thinking, but I was struggling to think of anything which enabled 'home hydroforming' to achieve something worthwhile. It seemed you had to bend metal, then cut out the bit you wanted, scrap the rest, then perform ANOTHER welding operation to incorporate your bent metal into a finished product.

Expensive and time consuming.

My next thought was along the lines of making a mould and forming the metal to the internal shape of the mould, but making moulds isn't easy, so the process again becomes Expensive and time consuming.

PLUS, did a domestic pressure washer produce enough power to force metal into a mould, thus smoothing out the wrinkles seen in the free form 'disc' exercise?

(MAYBE, if the metal was aluminium sheet rather than steel sheet).

Eventually I recalled Autospeed carrying an article on hydroforming, and as they pretty much push the boundaries on DIY they might have something relevant.

Unfortunately not, the articles were about production use of hydroforming. Even though the articles date from 2001 they show, in general terms, how hydroforming is used in the 'real world'. (Can I imply You-Tube videos tend to portray the unreal world?).

Hydroforming - Part 1

The case study might be relevant to those installing intercooler or radiator pipework, etc

Hydroforming - Part 2

While researching, I've thought of two applications which might be usable in the DIY sphere.

Correctly shaped trumpets for air induction into a pipe.

NACA ducts.

In both cases the shapes are not too complex, and the required external moulds should be fairly easy to fabricate, possibly lending themselves to small scale 'production', rather than the one-off requirements that tends to categorise DIY.

For the moulds I'm visualising 'shaped wood (MDF?)' contained within a square / rectangular / circular steel outer casing.

HTH.

I heard of someone copying a car door (of unknown type) by taking a plaster of Paris mold of the door inside a metal frame, laying a sheet of metal over the top then clamping another thicker, reinforced bit of metal to the frame, sandwiching the sheet with a length of O ring type material to effect a seal. Pump it up and the sheet deforms into the mold - much like vacuum forming except for metal.

I don't know how well it worked - but it has potential for making new panels! It also has no welding and minimal wastage.

Plaster works well in compression, so long as it is fully contained in the frame and it includes appropriate 'draft' angles at any steep edges.

Si

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...