Help vosa has told me I have to have iva on defender I bought a year a

Shelly100

thanks everyone for you comments , I'll get my partner to check chassis numbers again we still don't understand how come you can purchase a car then have vosa take it off the road a year later have spoken to dvla and asked if we could of know any of this when we purchased car and they say " no ,you have just been unlucky"! Just waiting on new forms to be sent out and hope to get it back on road a q plate even though we have receipts of parts as we did not do any of " the modifications " as its called .also don't understand how they could issue us with a v5c then void it's identity !!!!!!!!!

You have rights against a dealer for at least six years. The Sale of Goods Act says that good must be 'of satisfactory quality, as described, must be fit for purpose and last for a reasonable length of time'. In this case I suggest that the car may not be of 'satisfactory quality' nor 'as described'.

Did you use any kind of finance to buy the car - a loan, credit card etc.? If so, Google 'Section 75' of the Consumer Credit Act as the lender is equally liable with the vendor for any issues you may have. FWIW for the future, always buy £1 of big purchases with your credit card (NOT debit card) and you will be covered for the whole amount.

HTSH

Chris

Dealer took car back in November 14 stamped new vin number on chassis

sorry that just smells like a rat.

suggest you've probably got a very good claim there as they are clearly complicit and its not a case of being uninformed and sold something unknowingly.

Would be worthwhile finding a solicitor most of them give you a fee hours consultation (gives them a chance to understand the problem and if it's worth their while), also worth while you establishing if they have ever done anything like this before. Be aware that companies can fold, especially if they are a small outfit although given it may be a second hand chassis, if the dealer has stamped a new number on the chassis that may be fraudulent so trading standards may be worth a call for advice. That part is not really to your benefit economically but it could lead to criminal conviction.

It may be also in your best interests to establish how / why VOSA have decided that the chassis is second hand:

1) is the number already in use on the database or,

2) is it a case that they have deemed it second hand because it did not have any markings on it (or they could not find them if it's been galvanized) and you were unable to furnish official receipts that it was manufactured new and to the same standard as per the original one (i.e. to manufacturers standard).

Rob

There is most likely a VIN conflict , eg two vehicles with the same VIN , which with a genuine VIN as opposed to a chassis number

cannot be allowed . The VIC which is unusual on a landrover , (yours must be a stationwagon ?) as commercial vehicles are not subject to this scheme, is as result of the vehicle being a insurance write off at some point . It gets a bit curly with landrovers , and chassis being changed , if its a new item , then technically its a replacement part . The problem comes when its a secondhand chassis as the vehicle should then be based on that VIN as that goes with the chassis . What has possibly happened is that a vehicle has been built and utilised the VIN of the chassis that has been sold to you as part of a vehicle and is using that same number .

During VIC it would have been immediately noticeable if the VIN on the chassis was genuine or not , and corresponded with the VIN plate , and various other identifying features ( I cannot go into) , this would take a little while to go thru the system .

Dealers cant just apply VIN as they see fit , and the vehicle is questionable as to its provenance, Its not just the IVA cost that you have to consider , there could be other expenses to comply with what is found during the IVA . Unless you think the vehicle is

a particularly out standing one and worth all the possible cost /hassle I would be looking at getting my money back . JMHO

An interesting thread, following Robert's linky to the dvla, there is a section about rebuilt vehicles. So hypothetically speaking if you were contemplating or have done a chassis swap yourself, would you need to submit a v627/1 to the dvla with all the docs etc?. This isn't something i've seen before, but been aware of keeping records and obviously retaining points from original components in case you were ever asked.

Most of you know or have read my chassis change thread on here, I spoke to the local [truro] VRO office before they were all closed [to save dvla costs] they were not very useful, nobody knew if I would need a VIC or a full IVA, but gave me the form 627/1 anyway, also suggested my new chassis would need a new non LR [dvla issued] VIN, despite me telling the VRO my new chassis was a genuine new LR chassis = a like for like change. I also rang the regional VOSA test station in Exeter & was informed I didn't 'need' to do anything, same chassis so keeps the original VIN, no other changes, as my 110 was already correctly insured/registered/taxed/MOT'd on DVLA system & VOSA man said they weren't interested in correctly registered vehicles after a 'like for like' replacement part, i.e. VOSA wouldn't have any interest if it was a axle or engine or gearbox replacement.

where Shelly100 has got caught out [no fault of yours] is a chasis of unknown origin [secondhand] which to remain legal must retain it's original VIN & registration number or be inspected to ascertain the identity & be allocated a Q reg or a age related reg.

I would be really badgering the garage if it was my vehicle backed up with letters through a soliciters. hope the result works out in your favour.

On 2/24/2015 at 7:10 PM, Shelly100 said:

Sorry I meant the dealer stamped the new vin number that vosa gave us as original vin is now void

VOSA don't issue VIN numbers DVLA [DVSA now] do that. plus they will issue you a letter stating the 'new' VIN which should be stamped on the vehicle & the letter should be rubber stamped by the garage AFTER stamping the chassis & return the letter to you for you to return it to DVLA. once they have this & they are satisified then a new reg document V5 will be issued.

suggest the dealer is trying to pull a fast one on you & DVLA/VOSA.

Is it possible the chassis was in fact new but not stamped?

And hence the randomness of nobody knowing WTF to do with it as it is very apparrent that VOSA nor the DVLA/C seem to know either,just look at the replies of needing to form fill after a "like for like" chassis swap!

Most of you know or have read my chassis change thread on here, I spoke to the local [truro] VRO office before they were all closed [to save dvla costs] they were not very useful, nobody knew if I would need a VIC or a full IVA, but gave me the form 627/1 anyway, also suggested my new chassis would need a new non LR [dvla issued] VIN, despite me telling the VRO my new chassis was a genuine new LR chassis = a like for like change. I also rang the regional VOSA test station in Exeter & was informed I didn't 'need' to o anything, same chassis so keeps the original VIN, no other changes, as my 110 was already correctly insured/registered/taxed/MOT'd on DVLA system & VOSA man said they weren't interested in correctly registered vehicles after a 'like for like' replacement part, i.e. VOSA wouldn't have any interest if it was a axle or engine or gearbox replacement.

where Shelly100 has got caught out [no fault of yours] is a chasis of unknown origin [secondhand] which legal must retain it's original VIN & registration number or be inspected to ascertain the identity & be allocated a Q reg or a age related reg.

V useful, ^_^ Thanks for that Ralph

• Like 1

As I see it if the authorities VOSA or DVLA carry out an inspection and find things are not correct you have a solid case against the dealer who sold you the vehicle. They are required as stated by other comments to sell goods which are fit for purpose, and as advertised (if the vehicle isn't the one it appears to be then it is not as advertised and possible fraud), if VOSA or DVLA say it is not what it says it is and something is dodgy you should be able to take the dealer to court and just reference the information for VOSA / DVLA, coming from a legal authority it would be difficult to argue against in court. A letter from a lawyer and a threat of small claims court should get your money back (assuming the dealer actually has any money....). They should pay all costs in sorting this out or take the vehicle back and refund your money.

None of this assumes the dealer has knowingly done anything wrong, they may have taken the vehicle in good faith and pasted it on the same, you chase them it is then there problem to chase the person they got the vehicle from

VOSA don't issue VIN numbers DVLA [DVSA now] do that. plus they will issue you a leeter stating the 'new' VIN which should be stamped on the vehicle & the letter should be rubber stamped by the garage AFTER stamping the chassis & return the letter to you for you to return the letter to DVLA. once they have this & they are satisified then a new reg document V5 will be issued.

suggest the dealer is trying to pull a fast one on you & DVLA/VOSA.

DVLA is still DVLA , VOSA has merged with DSA (Driving test lot) to become DVSA DVLA issues the actual VIN but DVSA do the inspecting side of things HTSH

I do feel for both the unknowing buyer and the seller but again the only ones likely to get rich are the lawyers given no one is going to want to give the cash back in full for a ringer even though I'm sure we all agree that is what should happen and a police case opened to look at what the original seller did. But do they have the resources either?

Another example of buyer beware and get someone to check the thing over and offer advice for you (maybe someone with some specific landrover experience). Surprises me the DVLA view is it's just an unfortunate and it was just unlucky

Rob

• 7 years later...

Hi I’m having exactly the same trouble I bought a car off someone that had been involved in an accident and was classed cat d when applying for log book the police come took it they had it 6 months have it back took the identity off it now it’s got to be a q plated and dvla are not being helpful what do ever

I'm a little unclear what has happened, I assume you bought a crashed car repaired it and tried to put it back on the road. Unless it was stolen/used in a crime I don't see why the police were involved. Unless the car was deemed parts only it should still have it's ID.

If it's no longer got a vin number you will need to apply for one. Then it may need and IVA (should be the import IVA rather than kit car), if it's bog standard you may not need an IVA but you will need some paperwork instead. Once you have an IVA certificate or the correct paperwork you should be able to apply for a registration. You may be offered an age related or a Q.

Mike

• Like 1

To be clear, did you buy it as damaged, and repaired it, or did you buy it as cat D and already repaired ? If it is already classed as cat D, it must have been a few years ago, as cat C and D has not been used since 2017, so if recent, it would be a cat N.

What is the timeline with this ? I cant see why the Police would be interested, unless you have had a roadside stop, and they have found something not right.

The people to speak to are dvla - they are generally very helpful at explaining the situation as long as you're polite and straight with them.  It may be you've just bought a car that was misrepresented without doing relevant checks and are stuck with a lemon, it may be something that can be fixed by presenting the correct paperwork.  If it shouldn't be back on the road or has no identity you will have little option but to go through the 'built up vehicles'  route and take a q plate.

When I rebuilt my Discovery 2 10 years ago I bought a second hand rolling chassis and had it galvanised. I could not find the old number on it. When I rebuilt the car it went on the registration of the body shell that I already had. I ran it for 8 years and then broke the car up and resold a mint chassis. I never had a minutes issue, even had a garage do the work of changing the shell and MOTing it for the first time.

It would appear that someone has reported it to VOSA.