How long will oil keep once opened?

reb78

I've ordered a couple of cheap 5 litre garden pressure sprayers today - one for EP80/90 and the other for ATF. I won't dispense too much oil into them at each use, but is there a limit to how long the un-used oil can sit in them for? Will it degrade after it has been dispensed?

Why garden sprayers ? if for pumping oil just use one of those 1l bottles with hand pump.

I've seen Neil and Mo use them and they worked very well. I got two for a fiver each which works out as cheap as the hand 1litre hand pumps (cheaper even than some places). This way, if i am doing the gearbox for example, I can just put 3L of oil in, pump it and fill it without changing bottles etc. If the box takes 2.8 litres though, that means there will be a little bit left. So i guess my question is - is it ok to leave it there till next time?

The axles and transmission are open vented anyway right? So in effect the oils exposed to the air the whole time they're in use.

Cant see any issue with it sitting in a plastic container.

Good point.

I didn't know if they would degrade/absorb moisture etc once decanted, but when you point that out about the axles and transmission, i guess its just the same really. (its not like i will keep the pumps in the wet or out in the sun and the containers are effectively sealed.

Why garden sprayers ? if for pumping oil just use one of those 1l bottles with hand pump.

I have been using garden sprayers for years on diffs, swivels and gearboxes.

Remove the nozzle and put a length of rubber hose in its place. Put a ty-rap on the trigger and let it do its thing.

In the mean time you can do some other work, or have a beer, or.....

I did notice that the original plastic hoses do become hard after a while so the oil definitely has a degrading effect on the plastic.

Eric.

One addition that we did was to fit an airline adapter in the side. (Basically a normal tyre/wheel fitting)

We then just use the air line to keep the pressure up. Cannot over pressure the container as it has a pressure relief valve. :)

• Like 1

Where's best to get a decent one of these? Got to change the diff and transfer box oil soon and would welcome anything that makes it easier!

Something like this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pump-Action-Pressure-Sprayer-fertilizer/dp/B000TAWBBC/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1455360783&sr=1-1&keywords=kingfisher+sprayer

Or are there far better ones available elsewhere?

Richard

I have one Aldi and one Lidl spayers that both cost under a tenner and are both still working fine 4 years later. EP90 in one and ATF in the other. I have bent up the metal pipe to help when I am on my back filling up oil and have two corks which I have drilled a hole in each to act as caps for when not in use.

One addition that we did was to fit an airline adapter in the side. (Basically a normal tyre/wheel fitting)

We then just use the air line to keep the pressure up. Cannot over pressure the container as it has a pressure relief valve. :)

Did this and it works a treat.

• 3 months later...

Same here. I did it the hard way for years until I read about using a sprayer, (i.e. I didn't have the brains to think of it!), and it's great, so long as you don't lose track and have it running out everywhere.

If you're going to add an airline connection, then why even bother with a sprayer? Any sturdy bottle would do. Even a fizzy drink bottle if you are really skint.
Personally i prefer my metal syringe, its a bit faster and easier to stop when full.