Insurance now in vertical climb

Mine came through from Lancaster for £650ish for an agreed valuation. A certain hike since last year. Will do the dance with them this week and let you know if I get the price down at all.

Cheers

G

Sorted, Adrian Flux £311

Evening - I have posted about this on another forum and sorry for hijacking the thread...

I've owned my Defender 90 since 2003 and have always insured it through Lancaster. When I looked through my renewal quote it had almost doubled in price and they now had the vehicle listed as a van with 5 seats instead of the usual 90 Defender County SW TDI with 6 seats.

At what point did my County SW change to a commercial van? It has never been modded has always had 4 rear seats and rear side windows rather than slab sides. It's body type on the VC5 is Light 4x4 Utility and I've always assumed that it was a PLG car (estate) it is listed as PLG on VC5. There is nothing listed in the vehicle category (line J) on VC5 - model on VC5 is 90 Defender County SW TDI and a 1997 P reg

It is an original CSW says it on the VC5 (90 Defender County SW TDI) and has the 7th letter as a B in the VIN confirming it is a CSW. When I put my registration number in the LEZ checker it say my vehicle is ok and not subject to LEZ.

I took my custom elsewhere - if I had taken the cover on the phone with Lancaster it would have been void and I would not have known until paperwork came through. I rang Lancaster about this and the woman said it was something to do with their underwriters how the vehicle is listed ( I'm not convinced) and then quoted me over £700 for the extra seat instead of the 5 they were saying I had.

Flux gave me a quote after they played about with the vehicle details which I still thought was expensive so took out insurance elsewhere and they have it listed correctly on the insurance documents including the 6 seats.

Even though my insurance is sorted any help would be greatly appreciated as to why this is or am I missing something obvious...

Barbara

Qwakers, I'm aware what PLG stands for I drive a car as well and that's PLG - vans are surely classed as LCV light commercial vehicle.

Body Type is Light 4x4 Utility.

It was 1st sold as a county station wagon TDI (have original 1997 receipts from Land Rover dealership) and the VIN number confirms this as it has the 7th letter as a B - if it was an A it would be a pickup.

Lancaster took my money last year and for the previous 12 years and my registration number listed it as a 90 Defender County SW - the VC5 has it listed the same.

Barbara

Just to add to this now as it's doing my head in. I've just used a comparison site using various Registration Numbers off ebay for other 90 Defender CSW of the same age (obviously I don't know if they are original CSW but they claim to be) and they are all coming back as pickups...

A phone call to DVLA on Monday is on the agenda now - hope they play nice music ;)

Adrian flux 9 year no claims me 48 and my partner 53 who had 3 points £450 fully comp agreed value (11 seats) heavy heavy modified landy, key care, protected no claims ...blar blar blar you name it (went down £100 last year)

Been with Lancaster for several years now and just received my renewal, after it actually dropping in price over recent years I was surprised to see that this year it had shot up (£216 last year up to £276 this year).

Aged 51, living in Bedfordshire. FC on a modified 1986 300TDi 90 with an agreed value of £12K.

I rang Lancaster and the lady said that the increase was due to a switch in underwriter and all policies of this type had increased a similar amount. She did a lot of work (I was on the phone nearly 30-minutes) but in the end said that the best they could do was to drop the arrangement fee (which at over £40 seemed to be a result).

I went with this so at £232 I am quite happy.

My two penneth:

Car insurance is based on 1) you, that is your age, gender, occupation etc.), 2) your address, 3) your claims history, 4) the vehicle, 5) the broker profiles etc. etc.

...my point being that it is very hard to check one person' premium against another person's as those inputs create such variation that one broker (we are talking brokers here not the actual insurance company), will throw out one set of outputs for one combination and a different set for another. So NFU for one person, won't necessarily be comparable with NFU for another, even if some inputs are the same (such as vehicle).

Sometimes in the first year its cheaper to get you with them....... then they put it right up hoping you wont change/ cant be bothered to change ......When Adrian flux lowered my insurance by £100 I had ALL READY renewed and out of cooling off period ...I phoned about a modification and while on the phone moaned about the cost....The girl went off came back and they gave me a £100 refund .............

With our boy we did it on Go Compare and did all sorts of combinations 9000 miles being the cut of limit before the cost went up.......adding his mum on as a named driver BUT not the main driver

And silly things made a huge difference

What we are doing with the Daughter who is just 17 only had her provisional 1 week

Buying a £300 1.4 car Insuring it as her car with me and the Mrs as named drivers .........putting on the drive as she wont be driving it hardly will be a back up car for me and the Mrs.......She will then have 1 years no claims when she does pass her test and need insurance,

1.4 car FULLY COMP her insurance us named drivers stored on the road at home 19,000 miles £418 ........But will knock far far more than that off her insurance when past her test

• 3 years later...
On 5/20/2016 at 7:24 PM, western said:

Are you dealing via the NFU website or talking to your local regional agent, even after my galv chassis fit & conversion of rear drum brakes to disc, my NFU insurance is less than 400 & that's with an agreed value of £12,000 for my '89 110CSW.

Hi, Ralph,Sorry about the thread revival, but I am intrigued you are on an agreed value with NFU - they are telling me they don't do that. Can you (or anyone else for that matter) confirm that you have managed to get them to agree a value currently? I deal with the local office and its computer says no.

Love NFU Not the cheapest but definitely no quibble when you need them to pay out!....Wife has her horse insured with them, the house and contents is insured with them but sadly money ran out when it came to the LR so that's insured with Footman James with an agreed valuation of £8000 for a '95 300Tdi 90 no forms to fill in, no photos needed nobody comes to look it over! They just ask you how much and as long as you dont take the **** you get the nod.

3 hours ago, cackshifter said:

Hi, Ralph,Sorry about the thread revival, but I am intrigued you are on an agreed value with NFU - they are telling me they don't do that. Can you (or anyone else for that matter) confirm that you have managed to get them to agree a value currently? I deal with the local office and its computer says no.

Last time I spoke to them & the guy went to underwriters to check a few things for me, on the return call he said its valued at 12,000 Which I said yes & so its not a normal agreed value but what the underwriter has agreed to.

Mine is due for renewal and in the past I’ve been lucky and unlucky.

unlucky as it’s a defender on car insurance so I have no ncb’s

lucky because some insurance companies see it as a van and thus I get it under a van insurance with 11 yrs ncb. ( it’s a USW )

last year I couldn’t get it with anyone as a ‘ van ‘ so had to go with a car insurance 

This year, with additions to it, I shall go with either AF or NFU