Check your nuts!

CwazyWabbit

Well there was no copper slip on these. With regards to torque they either get done to the correct torque or get overtightened with the 3ft breaker bar that lives in the 110, depends on if the torque wrench is with me when they get taken off. They are all now breaker bar and a good grunt tight. The wheels hadn't been off the vehicle for quite a while so I couldn't tell you if they were torqued or grunted.

2 minutes ago, Steve King said:

Very scary, but at least you are OK!

My brother had an interesting experience in the Libyan desert whilst working on an oil rig, when a stupid grudge against him left a wheel attached by a single nut!

Strange thing is I remember looking at that wheel before I set off and wondering if it was a little soft, hopefully I'd have noticed any missing nuts. Also the last couple of times I parked up that wheel was towards the road so would have been less likely to be tampered with.

Oh dear glad you're ok ....I've had loose nuts once or twice..

On the LR i got a wierd knocking noise first and when I went to see what it was about, noticed the wheel was a bit off kilter so tightened them up. but I had a one when I was towing one of my old cars (peugeot405)  to the scrap man and both back wheels came off  fortunately they stayed up in the wheel arch...seems I had only done the nuts up hand tight about two years before but hadn't used the car.

I had to walk back down the road to find a couple of the nuts then take some off the front to make up a reasonable amount.....then did those up grunt tight with a breaker bar. It's not funny trying to get a car full of scrap off the ground when its sitting flat down on its butt.

I managed to get it to the scrappy but seriously never again ...I have a torque wrench and I still do them up with the breaker

Not had loose wheel nuts (do tend to check regularly).....But had loose/just drop out flange bolts on the front n/s all x5 were loose just sitting in the holes, worn and miss shaped, no idea how long they had been like that? Only noticed them by chance, so now at least once a week wheel nuts and flange bolts are checked!

I've had this twice with the (Boost) alloys, but never with the wolf wheels & steel nuts.  I torque the nuts up to 130Nm, but often get a creak or crack sound and find they rotate more... so they need to be torqued two or three times.  It is like the washer on the nut binds and stops rotation, but then once you stop tightening it gives, so re-tightening can happen.  Hope that makes sense?

Glad everyone is ok. It happened to a friend on the M62. The back wheel came off his 206, went up the embankment on the left, turned, went across all 6 lanes at rush hour without hitting a single car, went up the embankment at the other side, turned and fell over in the hard shoulder on the other side. Whilst he was stood there scratching his head wondering what to do a highways lorry pulled up behind him, someone jumped out, asked if he would like his wheel back then walked across all 6 lanes, picked it up and brought it back then drove off. My friend then pinched a nut off each wheel and carried on. Super lucky! :lol:

I had this once about 10 years ago, bent my track rod off at a pay and play and decided to limp home. I guess the force on the wheel which was toed out eventually caused the (unchecked) nuts to work loose, they actually ovalised the bolt holes in the old steel rim so much the wheel just ripped off leaving some of the nuts still loosely on the studs.

Just as my wheel overtook me on a gentle bend a Police car came around the corner to see me heading for the verge, and my wheel heading for freedom. Luckily escaped with a bollocking (deserved) and a lesson learned.

We had a warning about checking wheel nuts circulated at work a while back.

If you suddenly discover all the nuts are loose it might not be your fault.

Apparently when people are looking to steal wheels it is not unknown for them to go round a car park and slack off all the nuts, if they are seen all they need to do is dump the wheel brace and leg it. They will then come back later with a van and can remove all the wheels quickly with less chance of being spotted. Obviously if they get disturbed or you come back first they might not get the wheels off and you end up driving a car with loose wheel nuts.

I guess it depends where you park but long stay car parks where what we were particularly warned about.

Otherwise been there and done it, had a rear wheel come off when the studs pulled out of the hub (some series studs are screwed in), left quite a grove down the road, drove past a while ago and 20 years later it is still just visable if you know where to look for it!

• Like 1

Yes I'm impressed with those reactions too! Does anyone remember Nigel Mansell, in Adelaide I think, hammering down a straight at top speed and getting a blowout? He did an amazing job to keep things under control until he was able to pull off the circuit. Don't know if he managed without a few four letter words.