Speedi-sleeves

Hi, Just wondered if anyone had ever tried using Speedi-sleeves to recover worn sealing surfaces. They're a very thin hardened and well finished wear sleeve that you drive over a worn seal surface to create a new one without having to replace the item being sealed, or needind to get a different seal. SKF (Chicago Rawhide) make them so they can't be too bad. I have a worn diff flange and worn tfr box flange, and before shelling out for new wondered about trying these. They even do especially hardened versions for abrasive conditions.

See http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/product...p;newlink=4_5_4

Regards

Nigel

Hi,

I'm thinking of using one on my steering output shaft as it is obviously scored causing the seal to fail. The steering box works fine, just the oil leak is the problem.

The problem is now finding the diameter of the steering output shaft so that i can go ahead and order one.

Steve

I too have a leaky steering box... Not a bad idea at all to try one there. In the past I have always tried to repolish things when changing seals, as sometimes the old surface is very rough. Or even to not quite insert the seal fully so it bears on a new bit of shaft. It must help slightly too to increase the diameter it's trying to seal . Even on new items the sealing surfce can be quite rough so anything you can do to reduce the roughness must help seal life (and lets face it we need all the help we can get).

Nigel.

very easy to fit i nicked this from another forum

In this picture (sorry about the focus) you can see the surface is badly scored. A new seal on this will last no time.

12042008009.jpg

My solution is to fit a "Speedy sleeve" to "repair" the surface. As you can see it is a thin sleeve which goes over the existing.

12042008008.jpg

Ready to be pushed on.

12042008010.jpg

With applicator. (Also notice the step at the bottom. Will come to that in a minute)

12042008011.jpg

Pushed on.

12042008012.jpg

Removing the step.

12042008013.jpg

then just trim

You should be able to get them at any decent bearing/seal supplier . I used them quite a bit on cranks stub axles etc in OZ . They use the applicator that protects them in transit (comes in box) Good item never had any bother with them .

very easy to fit i nicked this from another forum

In this picture (sorry about the focus) you can see the surface is badly scored. A new seal on this will last no time.

12042008009.jpg

My solution is to fit a "Speedy sleeve" to "repair" the surface. As you can see it is a thin sleeve which goes over the existing.

12042008008.jpg

Ready to be pushed on.

12042008010.jpg

With applicator. (Also notice the step at the bottom. Will come to that in a minute)

12042008011.jpg

Pushed on.

12042008012.jpg

Removing the step.

12042008013.jpg

then just trim

Brilliant.

Howard.

Well it sounds like the news on these is pretty good, as generally it has to be cheaper than replacing the part (ignoring the benefit to the planet etc) but it might also even improve on the original as I have had parts (albeit for Minis) in the past with fairly rough surfaces and ended up polishing them before fitting.. As steve200tdi said, the problem is knowing the size to get before stripping, so maybe it would be good if we recorded them. Knowing this I'll definitely run a vernier over things as I come across them.

Nigel

Well it sounds like the news on these is pretty good, as generally it has to be cheaper than replacing the part (ignoring the benefit to the planet etc) but it might also even improve on the original as I have had parts (albeit for Minis) in the past with fairly rough surfaces and ended up polishing them before fitting.. As steve200tdi said, the problem is knowing the size to get before stripping, so maybe it would be good if we recorded them. Knowing this I'll definitely run a vernier over things as I come across them.

Nigel

This is the very problem, knowing the size!

This is another plea for sizes of steering box output shaft and (from Mo) the size for the hub seal bit on the stub axle then!

Thanks

Steve

Well as Steve is so insistent ;) , I've just found a stub axle (in fact, a pair and measured them both) and measured the bit that the hub seal runs on and it is 60mm on both (300 Disco stub axle).

There, the ball is rolling :) Drive flanges and steering box output and input shaft sizes next, I think. Who's got any of these knocking around that they can measure?

If we get enough sizes together I'll put a post together for the tech archive.

HTH

Mo

• 5 years later...
  • 8 years later...

I'm sorry I don't know the size, but I do vaguely recall Mike at Britannica Restorations in his steering box rebuild videos saying he couldn't use a speedisleeve, as he couldn't remove it for a future rebuild. You can remove them by warming them, so he may not be 100% correct in that assertion. Seems an obvious to me to use a gold one if possible which is especially hardened as it in a vulnerable spot

4 hours ago, L19MUD said:

Anyone using one of these on a steering output shaft? Getting pretty bored of the leak now despite changing the seals

The size would be helpful!

That fella who did up a disco 1 used one i seem to recall. I cant remember his username though. Name was Nigel but dont think that was his username on here. He stated the size and how to do it from what i remember. I think there was something about the lip.on the sleeve. 

@Nigelw - remembered his name. Search his posts. 

• Thanks 1