Tree sliders

If your after good quality look at Flatdog. I haven't got tree sliders on my 90 however other things I've ordered from them seem to be excellent quality and their product knowledge/customer service is outstanding. Even calling them for advice without buying anything seems to be no problem with them. ??

I'm in the market for some tree sliders for a 90.

Every single company do them. Varying quality, fit , design and price. None of them have any detailed photos up on the web so it's impossible to tell any difference.

Any recommendations?

You don't define what 'detail' you can't see, but you can clearly see enough to judge "Varying quality, fit , design and price", which appears to contradict your "impossible to tell the difference".

I spent my money with Mill Services.

Mainly on personal recommendation, which was based on cost, quality of build, and customer skills, especially around incorporating 'special' features the Customer wanted. He kept me informed during the build process, accepted photos from me that justified my requests, and sent photos of the 'tacked' product to ensure I was happy with his proposed design. The product pictures may or may not give you the detail you are missing.

The Gallery photos are those submitted by Customers, so are of varying quality. The photos on the product page appear to be his work.

Bear in mind that any producer is likely to be wary of showing too much design detail, just to make it that bit more difficult for any backyard fabricator with a welder but no design skills to fabricate a 'copy-cat'.

My only connection is as a customer, I do not speak for Mill Services.

Regards.

Mine came from paddocks 5 years ago. Painted on top of galv, they have served me well. Whenever the paint gets scraped off by rocks or trees, I just touch up with satin black hammerite.

Nicely welded, robust and relatively inexpensive I'd buy them again.

HTH

Mo

I'm not in the UK so shipping can be expensive so that's a definite consideration.

Paddock has cheap shipping but their ones have pretty poor images as an example

http://www.paddockspares.com/pm736-tree-sliders-pair-defender-90-black-powder-coated-over-zinc-plate.html

It's a photoshop....

The first four ones look nice. I like that they have the grip tape.

I've got paddock ones, the fit wasn't great. I painted them myself as they came bare galv finish. I've bent them - both the tube and the box section parts

Edit, they've gone up in price loads, I paid £90

A94E0DB7-7D6E-4EDC-A191-E173D7EA7EC9_zps

Old photo, I've bent them more now :)

Doubled in price then !

I'm looking for some at the moment, I want just plain box and as neat a fit as possible. I like the way the terrafirma can adjust along the length.

There's a seller on eBay who looks like they are the engineering firm who make them - but their feedback isn't great and they don't reply to messages, so not a great sign.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/181989769622

If you want something good quality - go to First Four. Even if it costs a bit more and more on top to ship, you know you are going to get something that will fit and will last. More importantly, something that will protect the vehicle when you really need it!

Everything I've bought from them has been spot-on!

There was a guy at a Pay & Play day who started off with very shiny sliders. By the end of the day, one was all buckled and the other had been ripped off with bits still attached. He had winched off the bar on the side. They were just made out of thin walled ERW tube as it turned out. Apparently an eBay 'bargain'.

Si

I wanted plain ones so I just made some from a length of box, not much of a job and there's a good paint engineering drawing of them on here somewhere.

Kev at mill services is a good chap I'm sure he'd send you some more detailed pictures if you asked or as Simon says you often get what you pay for.

Will.

I'm exchanging emails with the mill services chap. Very good to talk with.

I'm probably in a minority in that I'd like a pair that looked as much like stock sills as possible - so I'm interested in how far out they stick from the bodywork and how they line up against arches etc

I bought a pair from Scrapiron many years ago for my 90. They are galv and the power coated. The power costing has come off where they have rubbed trees etc but easy to touch up every now and again

I see your point re having as close to standard sill's as possible, but I think the extra tubing on the side to make it a 'tree slider' as opposed to just a rock slider makes a huge difference to protection of the side of the truck.

Something a Mondeo driver in a car park a few years ago can attest to...he misjudged pulling into a parking space, smashed the headlight and totalled the wing on his Mondeo. I tidied the tree slider back up with a black rattle can :-) It didn't bend at all!!

I bought a set for my 110 csw from Mill Services, with the monster bar fitted to act as a step, quality is spot on but fitting was an absolute nightmare, they came with 4 pieces of steel plate and I spent ages cutting and messing about until they fitted properly. I know nothing should be expected to be 100% bolt-on on a Land Rover but I expected slightly better for the money.

Here's a picture showing them fitted....

10400370_10153151799542136_3323489767349119586_n.jpg?oh=b4e6ab998cd2b61c5e32eeae51371406&oe=57385A0E

What were the 4 pieces of steel plate for ?

The front mounting is straight forward - it bolts straight to the bulkhead bolt. There's a bracket mid way that bolts to the steel plate which I then had to adapt to fit round a bracket on the Landy, and it was the same further back. I believe it's exacerbated because mine is a 110 CSW. I'll try and get some pictures to show what I mean, however it will show my shocking bodgework to get the bloody things on :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at the FF tree sliders - I'd rather get the galvanised ones for rust prevention, but would then have to paint/coat them myself (not the worst task in the world admittedly).

Does anyone know how resistant the powder coat itself is to damage and how likely to rust they are?