17 hours ago, dangerous doug said:

They are just a ring with holes in them mate. Some have a bead of their own for a bit more calming and others have a bit more steel on the back so they don’t deform when you do the bolts up. 

did find these which are the most complex weld on ones I’ve seen and look pretty good

https://www.advancedmechanics.se/lang-EN/shop/product/beadlock-16-super-drain?tm=accessories-in-general/beedlocks

another way you could do it is to cut your wheels in half, weld a pare of bolt rings in and have a spacer tube in the middle to make a crude double beadlock

Those look interesting, and ok priced. How do you install these, cut off the existing outer bead and weld these on instead?

A certain incident at 7S may have prompted me to think about this :ph34r:

As another option, @Escape used to run air beadlocks. Like this:

https://www.innerairlock.com/beadlocks

I've also seen people use old motorcycle tyres for this. They're a faff to stuff into the wheel though.

Another option but the sidewalls done deform much is some Michelin YZLs or whatever the 6x6 had initially. 16ply with stupid sidewalls, almost broke the tyre places machine trying to break the bead on those.

Unfortunately the tread was carp.

4 hours ago, elbekko said:

Those look interesting, and ok priced. How do you install these, cut off the existing outer bead and weld these on instead?

I've also seen people use old motorcycle tyres for this. They're a faff to stuff into the wheel though.

They normally are sized to drop into the outer of the wheels (so they’re slightly wider. 

7 hours ago, elbekko said:

Each ring comes in 3 pieces per wheel(total of 6 per wheel), you weld them straight on to the rim then fit the beadlock rings to the rim to ensure all the tabs lock together. It looks

a very nice system and they have allowed for water to drain out

LGT runs tubes, pretty certain that's the only reason the tyre stayed on the rim at the top of the winch challenge area. 

I still have bits of dead tree carcass in the bead. 

I run around 20psi, but that's because it works on and off road for me. 

18 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

LGT runs tubes, pretty certain that's the only reason the tyre stayed on the rim at the top of the winch challenge area. 

I still have bits of dead tree carcass in the bead. 

I run around 20psi, but that's because it works on and off road for me. 

Is that with tubed or tubeless rims

regards Stephen

Tubeless rims + tubes. I fit the tyres without soap and air down to 10 psi if needed.

If the tyre has been on the rim for a year or longer, 5 psi is possible without the tyre coming off.

12 hours ago, dangerous doug said:

Each ring comes in 3 pieces per wheel(total of 6 per wheel), you weld them straight on to the rim then fit the beadlock rings to the rim to ensure all the tabs lock together. It looks

a very nice system and they have allowed for water to drain out

Ah, couldn't really make it out from the pictures.

11 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Can't imagine the Belgian authorities being especially happy running beadlocks on the road, they are a grey-ish area even over here - probably worth checking. 

Probably not, but I have a separate set of road tyres and wheels anyway.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CwazyWabbit said:

When running tubes at low pressures don't you run the risk of the tyre spinning and ripping the valve stem off?

When they are just fitted with soap, yes they will. But my comment about time is that with a tire mounted for a long time, it seems to fuse to the rim, and it is almost impossible to get the tire off the rim. This also means it wont come off when aired down.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hurbie said:

i don't get it , why is the inside not bolted down .... ? now you can still drive the tire off the rim ....

Often wondered that myself. I can only assume that the outside wall sees more load than the inside wall of the poop site tyre.

People run them and they work, but they can’t be 100% or there wouldn’t be a market for the split rims like daan or nige has

On 6/26/2023 at 10:26 PM, Bowie69 said:

Would good to know, yep, but if you said 250 rear and 300 front I doubt you'd be far off.... 

Of course it will all change when you add an 8 into the mix. 

@Bowie69 you were not too far away, mog front axle is 240kg dry and rear is 220kg dry, I've taken weight off but also added some back on, so for arguments sake we will use the above weights as axle wet weights

Tyre, wheel combo is 57kg ( weighed one today ) so that makes front axle around 354kg and rear 334kg give or take 10kg on each so, I can deduct 688kg of the total weight once weighed to give me an idea of sprung weight

Regards Stephen

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, hurbie said:

i don't get it , why is the inside not bolted down .... ? now you can still drive the tire off the rim ....

douglas-kart-wheels-low-volume_700x.png.979bf0002519b389c853469260edfde4.png

See it like this.  The inside of the whee and tyre do not get lhe load that the outside gets.  On a kart, they just use a few small bolt's to keep the bead on

Just having a wee think about some weight saving, my fuel tank is made from 3mm stainless, I could make an aluminium tank, with the base being 5mm aluminium, this should save me a fair bit of weight

Regards Stephen

5 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

you were not too far away, mog front axle is 240kg dry and rear is 220kg dry, I've taken weight off but also added some back on, so for arguments sake we will use the above weights as axle wet weights

Tyre, wheel combo is 57kg ( weighed one today ) so that makes front axle around 354kg and rear 334kg give if take 10kg on each so, I can deduct 688kg of the total weight once weighed to give me an idea of sprung weight

Regards Stephen

Not far off, no, I was counting on it being wet, and taking into account some of the weight of the one-link.... and the rear arms. Make sure you get front and rear axle weights when you get it on the bridge ;) 

57Kg per rim/tyre combo 🤯, they really must be Sid-spec.

Not suggesting you buy some, but Method Race Wheels have a 'Bead grip' product, which have proven really very effective indeed vs 'proper' beadlocks, the video, with the stupid music turned down, is a useful watch.

I wonder if there was something similar you could make? Weld a thick bead on and then stick in the lathe (assuming yours is big enough?) and put the grooves in?

Should be a LOT lighter than a set of bead lock rings and could perform very almost as well......

11 minutes ago, Wytze said:

See it like this.  The inside of the whee and tyre do not get lhe load that the outside gets.  On a kart, they just use a few small bolt's to keep the bead on

isn't that to stop the tyre rotating on the rim .... i don't see much off road in a go-kart , but i might be wrong ....