Just to clarify for some readers:

The beadlock talk is because Sid was having issues with almost no tyre deformation, and dropping down to very low pressures seems to help - but at the risk of losing a bead.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, muddy said:

Quite the opposite in terms of progress! Some of the comments just made me think some more testing would be worthwhile before spending hours fabricating!

^^^ this, all this talk about weight without having been to the weighbridge is just talk & speculation.

The tyre/beadlock thing I can sort of understand, have to say I've not heard much good about those TSL's and I'd have thought Sid could get away with something much chunkier. Yet another shame @dirtydiesel doesn't post here anymore as he was an encyclopaedia on tyres as well as mog axles.

Weighbridge to get the facts on springs and shock settings, an upgraded drag link and some reinforcing of existing portal box steering arms and more testing locally if possible, the tyre issue is limited by what is available with a flexible sidewall that will resist rock/debris cuts and is 38-44" diameter and 20" rim now but could be 18" maybe ?

...oh and an oil light/buzzer, temp gauge/level buzzer and tickle the FIP

This is a vindication of the effort and dedication to build it once and right approach all through . Now it's time to dial it all in with some fine tuning

Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2023 at 2:42 PM, NRS91 said:

I can help you gain an easy 25-30hp with a Boost Pin and my Dynamic Timing Advance Spacer kit 😉 (full details on what they are and how they work on my website).

Bought, should be on there way to me as I type

Regards Stephen

• Like 4

Humour me !

Trying to roughly guesstimate Sid's  weight as going to look at a trailer tomorrow

Axles, tyres and suspension 730kg

Engine and box 250kg

Chassis, bumper and winch mounts 200kg

Winches 90kg

Bonnet and wings 30kg

Bulkhead, vent panel and steering 40kg

Rear tub 80kg

Fuel tank 50kg

Canvass 20kg

Roll cage 70kg

Seatbox and seats 35kg

Doors 20kg

Front panel, radiator and intercooler 20kg

Windscreen and glass 20kg

Assorted gear 50 kg

Spare wheel 57 kg

Odds and sods I've missed 30kg

Makes a grand total of around 1800kg

Somewhere near possibly

Regards Stephen

i wish i had bought a 3500kg flat trailer rather than the 2750kg one i have,the plant i carry is well within it's weight but when i pick logs up the extra 750kg would be handy

• Like 1

Congrats, you don't hang about! 😉

It should be fine for Sid, we were just saying given the choice more is always better. 🙂 No harm in having too much payload most or even all of the time, but very annoying if you have too little just once. And once you have a trailer, you will use it for all kinds of things. Mine has even been used to take Santa in his sled to a christmas market. And we all know what a fat barsteward he is!

Filip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not had much time for sid of late although today I dug out a 17" car tyre and tried it for size

It's very tight I think but not impossible, will need to track down a 17" x 9" steel rim of any description, weld a landrover centre  in and try in earnest to see if I can get a 17" rim to fit without increasing Sid's width

20230711_153155.thumb.jpg.8960679e43184718781105bd4b3963ae.jpg

20230711_153201.thumb.jpg.35adf5dba6e7e1ceda7ae6248ea657d5.jpg

Brake caliper clearance

20230711_153212.thumb.jpg.905b14eb368ef4d6c74f24157266919f.jpg

20230711_153221.thumb.jpg.e31ced71388bdaade179b2f3298fe180.jpg

the most difficult  part

20230711_153238.thumb.jpg.91ff3302c54a6393212bc5fce9b5a9e9.jpg

20230711_153255.thumb.jpg.f16cb2042a5f3971dd37fd5bda5cf576.jpg

Also need to change Brake pipes for angled ones, although I could mock up with hard lines initially 

20230711_153606.thumb.jpg.21af2d42dbcff7050358c37c048f9eb5.jpg

thoughts !!!

regards Stephen 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dangerous doug said:

What did you do for portal box breathers btw?

Left them as original, I havnt changed axle tubes, and assumed the portal boxes vented into main axle case as no external vent that I could see

Regards Stephen 

7 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Left them as original, I havnt changed axle tubes, and assumed the portal boxes vented into main axle case as no external vent that I could see

Regards Stephen 

They do on the rear but not the front. there is a coiled pipe that sits behind the bearing for the half shaft that acts as a breather but taking mine apart and knowing what I’m planning to do with the truck I don’t like them. 

7 minutes ago, RedLineMike said:

You could probably reverse rim them to get your offset to.

Mike

@Stellaghost worth checking whether you can get hold of any suitable tyres in 17". When I had the old RR I could technically fit an 18" wheel instead of a 19" but at the time there was zero tyre choice if I wanted a non road tyre which was the whole thinking behind the change.

Fast forward a few years and things did slowly change but in the end I stuck with the 19" because they had suitable AT patterns in those.

4 hours ago, RedLineMike said:

Cheers, have already seen them, but I want something I can butcher at the moment to see how far I can push things with regard to fitment

Regards Stephen

4 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

@Stellaghost worth checking whether you can get hold of any suitable tyres in 17". When I had the old RR I could technically fit an 18" wheel instead of a 19" but at the time there was zero tyre choice if I wanted a non road tyre which was the whole thinking behind the change.

Fast forward a few years and things did slowly change but in the end I stuck with the 19" because they had suitable AT patterns in those.

Have had a wee look @Ed Poore there seems more available on these shores than 20" ones

regards Stephen

• Like 1