3 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Splines not long enough to move the diff to lightweight position.

Mike

That's good enough for me, splines are long enough it's the half shaft that needs to be 100mm longer, measured up my lathe and cannot get enough length to make one so keeping original and I will.modify sump ala Binky if prop centre line becomes a major issue, just pleased I spotted my blunder before I got carried away with slitting discs regards Stephen

Released axle from jig and all good so blended weld, suppose you could argue it wouldn't be seen once outer casing fitted but someone might see it in the future and call me a hashy bar....d

20210630_093952.thumb.jpg.3a49907ce6d8e0b9e2f5ea42acef8e1a.jpg

Also chamfered axle case ready for piecing in

20210630_093934.thumb.jpg.1641cc18238b5eb6b547e2eaab159577.jpg

20210630_093945.thumb.jpg.bfe7fc0665d0f4e04bb753f3a16d8613.jpg

This is going to be a pig to do short side not too bad 

20210630_103857.thumb.jpg.19816da76a01b35c6a70f24822ac60dd.jpg

20210630_104000.thumb.jpg.30ea31733f723699984899c913f8ac34.jpg

Not that simple I'm afraid, too wide at flanged end tried compressing it in vice but still not happy with fit

20210630_104514.thumb.jpg.b92db79f4b8e90cfd876fd71a5b5a200.jpg

20210630_104602.thumb.jpg.9cead6f611af1bd21ee8a0b8f105d694.jpg

20210630_105544.thumb.jpg.749c7ed86d0cc54804ced7bd76897540.jpg

This needs to be round so I have a wee bit of swaging to do with a BFH

20210630_110041.thumb.jpg.42420c2f0718cc32246e925259f57ae0.jpg

So all the above will be straightforward enough its the long side that will be a pain and I'm not quite sure how I will achieve the result I'm after one thing in my favour is I already have the shapes I want but in two short lengths

20210630_105632.thumb.jpg.a5a72ab76df1b877e1710b55f09d5713.jpg

I'm going to need to figure out how I'm going to make a section of 6mm plate into the casing halves I need in just top and bottom lengths.

I'm beginning to understand why flipping the axle is the tried and tested route lol regards Stephen 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bowie69 said:

Just a thought, as you are narrowing the axles

At the moment I have not narrowed the axles due to inset I put on the rims when I made them, that's not to say it would never happen in the future regards Stephen

10 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Ah, I suppose question still relevant, as they are going on a vehicle with MGW half that of a 404, do you think there is scope for the same lightening process?

I did raise something like this a fair few posts ago but was informed that the weight above is not the concern but the unsprung weight of axles and wheels is. So the honest answer is I dont know if I can reduce axle steelwork without compromising axle strength but all suggestions welcomed regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost
Spelling

I'm no expert, but looking at that, you could easily lose the outer casing, smoothly joint the outer diff casing to the tube with a couple of fillets, and then think about the axle flange end -given the LR axles are just friction welded (and is reliable) on anything you do will be a marked improvement.

Weight is weight whether unsprung as here, or sprung, both kill performance on and off road.

6 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

I'm no expert,

You may not be, but you certainly have more knowledge than me for example until it was mentioned I'd not come across unsprung and sprung weight and I agree weight is weight

Food for thought.

I have to say, however I do have a slight concern with future proofing as these axles will last longer than me, wouldn't like to think I could cause someone harm in the future, god knows what the axles could end up under in years to come regards Stephen

• Like 1

I think it'd be worth leaving the outer casing off. You're not going to load a few tonnes on them, and nobody is going to chuck them under a Mog again, so I don't see the harm. Look into some more lightweight bracing if you really feel you need it - I think some well placed angle iron is going to do 80% of the job of that massive amount of steel.

There is easily 4 times the weight on the end of the axle due to portal box, massive discs and larger wheel and tyre, if I leave the outer casing off am I not then left with the equivalent of what a landrover axle is. ahh have a scrap axle outside going to nip out and cut it to see tube thickness regards Stephen

Cut end and land-rover axle is same thickness as mog inner axle so at the moment I'm gonna put outer casing back on after all lightweight axles get bracing on for military use and there is a lot more weight hanging on the end.

20210630_124352.thumb.jpg.ab876f1ae158343fa0852b71917ca54b.jpg

At the end of the day I can always put another v8 in

@FridgeFreezer are your volvo axles double skinned and if not how thick is axle casing regards Stephen 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Cut end and land-rover axle is same thickness as mog inner axle so at the moment I'm gonna put outer casing back on after all lightweight axles get bracing on for military use and there is a lot more weight hanging on the end.

At the end of the day I can always put another v8 in

@FridgeFreezer are your volvo axles double skinned and if not how thick is axle casing regards Stephen 

I'm surprised how thick that section of LR axle was, I thought the tubes and diff pan were a lot thinner than that.

I've not sectioned a Volvo axle but they're single-skinned and maybe 6-8mm thick, the Volvo ends are way lighter and I suspect the overall rating of the Volvo is lower (@~7.5t for the 6x6, maybe a tad more) than whatever the worst-case is for a fully-laden Unimog.

I know when I lifted a passing Unimog end and brake drum I was suitably impressed, by comparison Volvo ends are fairly easily handled (even a built-up steering end with hub) and the drums are the same dimensions as Stage 1 V8, plus Volvos were running 16" rims with ~9.00x16 tyres, so smaller and lighter than Mogs again.