Viscous fan coupling query

I have a Disco 300tdi engine and am dropping it into a Ninety. It did not come with a viscous fan. I have been offered a used one supposedly off a 300tdi. 

The thing is that the threaded stud on the engine idler is around 28mm OD while the nut on the fan coupling is around 32mm internally. Leaves it more than acceptably loose....,

Are there different sizes of couplings?

Fair comment. My normal inclination is not to stray too far from standard LR spec (even if it’s a different model) because the further you go down that path, the more difficult it becomes when you inevitably have to replace/repair. 

• Like 1

If you have an lt77 gearbox, you'll find the fan hits the steering box anyway,  though you can trim the corners off the blades till they clear, if you get the right viscous fan (which tbh is easier than fitting an electric fan) 

14 hours ago, ottomatic said:

I have a Disco 300tdi engine and am dropping it into a Ninety. It did not come with a viscous fan. I have been offered a used one supposedly off a 300tdi. 

The thing is that the threaded stud on the engine idler is around 28mm OD while the nut on the fan coupling is around 32mm internally. Leaves it more than acceptably loose....,

Are there different sizes of couplings?

My 200tdi has not had a fan on for four years and I tow with it, it's never overheated and always stays in normal range on the gauge, warms up quicker in winter as well.

Edited by Landowner

There are differing views on the forum about the benefits of viscous versus electric fans.  There are merits to each argument.  But whichever way you lean, I'd plead with you not to run without a fan at all.  I wish people would stop advising others to do that - I've known people to do so in the most ridiculous circumstances because someone on the internet told them it was a good idea, and then suffer the consequences.

• Like 2

I had a 300Tdi for a while with no fan fitted. I got stuck in a traffic queue in summer and was so worried about cooking the engine that I was turning my engine off when I could. The incident prompted me to fit an electric fan asap for peace of mind, never had to worry about the engine temp when stuck in traffic again.

15 hours ago, Les Brock said:

Each to there own, I had an electric fail on me, so its Viscous for me with a spare lol

I have a strong preference for the viscous units, but some disagree with me, and it's not always possible to fit a viscous unit on retrofit engines.  I'm trying to avoid that debate again - I just disagree most strongly with the "I've run for so long without a fan and it's better that way" advice.

On 11/04/2018 at 9:09 AM, RedLineMike said:

if you use a 300tdi mounted in the correct place the 300tdi discovery / defender cowlings are the same IIRC

This isn't correct.  I have a 90 and was given the same advice and bought a second hand disco cowling.  When fitted, the fan blades hit the bottom of the cowling.  You'll need need the proper defender cowling to make it work.

Thank you all for the comments. Landrover got it mostly right with their mechanical engineering;  if they had embraced galvanising, there would be little to change. I’m going to stick with stock and run the viscous fan setup. Caution with the cowl types noted. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ottomatic said:

Thank you all for the comments. Landrover got it mostly right with their mechanical engineering;  if they had embraced galvanising, there would be little to change. I’m going to stick with stock and run the viscous fan setup. Caution with the cowl types noted. 

Yep, the design and project engineers were good.  It's the cost engineers that screw things up.  Not so sure now, with most cars (not just JLR) seemingly designed by graduates who have never spent time on a production floor or garage workshop, designing cars which need the engine to be removed to fit a cam belt or headlight bulb...