Thoughts and musings on the new defender

On 12/13/2019 at 8:20 AM, FridgeFreezer said:

Perhaps it just shows that the average punter can't be trusted to have things like difflock buttons as they'll just drive around on tarmac with difflock engaged and then file a warranty claim when something breaks... same reason modern cars limit engine power in certain gears to save the gearbox or go into limp mode when overheated... maybe annoying to some but I'll bet in the big scheme of things it saves an absolute ton of warranty claims.

Be honest, the vast majority of people tooling about in 4x4's and SUV's don't even know how to engage 4WD or what the various things do / when to use them... giving them a nice easy option like "snow" or "sand" or "mud" makes it far more idiot proof.

Right there is the problem, not just with Land Rovers but in so many aspects of life these days.  Make cars, regulations and pretty much anything for the brain-dead and/or lazy and don't worry if intelligent/passionate people suffer the consequences because there's not as much money to be made (by people who already have most of the money anyway) if you do.  Honestly, I feel I am being a rebel these days because I don't want people in corporate or government offices deciding what my car/phone/camera/whatever needs to do in a given situation.  What's the point of having a brain if you aren't allowed to use it??

Can you tell I'm a bit crabby at the moment?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red90 said:

Despite all of that Jeep and Mercedes still have buttons to manually lock the diffs....

Interestingly I just saw a video where someone was being driven in a (new) Merc G Class and that you could "lock" the three diffs but all that would did was tell the computer they could be locked if required. It decided when they were locked.

11 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

Interestingly I just saw a video where someone was being driven in a (new) Merc G Class and that you could "lock" the three diffs but all that would did was tell the computer they could be locked if required. It decided when they were locked.

Sounds like an Airbus.  Engineers thinking their computers are way smarter than the operator and that their systems never get it wrong...  Why no three way switch, with open, locked and automatic?

10 hours ago, Snagger said:

Sounds like an Airbus.  Engineers thinking their computers are way smarter than the operator and that their systems never get it wrong...  Why no three way switch, with open, locked and automatic?

Exactly!  

Anyway, the old centre diff locks in Land Rovers also turn on a bright light on the dashboard. Manufacturers could make that even more obvious for the operatively retarded.  Or even use existing technology to warn the driver there is too much traction.  Or not - let those people learn the expensive way and they'll actually know something from then on.

10 hours ago, Snagger said:

Don't you mean Boeing.................

On 12/14/2019 at 8:54 AM, Snagger said:

I think it’s similar - but with a different focus. 

Most are destined solely for carparks - and that’s the skill level they are catering for. They don’t won’t some clueless commuter running down the side of someone, with their £80k Defender, in their works car Park because they have all the diffs locked.

You’re perhaps looking at it from the perspective of their being a minimum knowledge that would be required to drive it safely off road - where you would likely be smarter than the computer; JLR are focused on their main market: which is the supermarket.

• Like 4

That is very true, it's not so much that people are thick just that they dont understand. The dealers dont understand so they dont really have a chance. The number of people I've had to explain to that their steerings gone right in their part time 4x4 pickup is because they cant run it in 4x4 on road, no centre diff. 

"That's a bit of a stupid design isn't it?" £20k for a pickup or £50k plus for a land rover / land cruiser / g wagon etc. Pay your money and take your choice 🤷‍♂️

Yes the l200 and fiat fullback with super select can run in 4wd upto 60mph. Not sure why they put a speed restriction on it 🤷‍♂️ certainly an advantage over the others! 

Or the auto amarok with full time 4wd. That costs you a proper low box though. 

On 12/24/2019 at 1:23 PM, SteveG said:

You won’t be seeing the new Defender in this new museum. Kind of says it all really. 🙂

I hope to visit it soon.  I’ve had a few evenings out with the one of the expats involved in getting it together, and he has high praise for the Sheikh and his collection.

Frontrunner's roof-rack for the new Defender: https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/vehicles/2020-land-rover-defender-roof-rack

defender-2020-roof-rack-1.jpg

defender-2020-roof-rack-3.jpg

defender-2020-roof-rack-2.jpg

defender-2020-roof-rack-banner-3-v2.jpg

... using T6 aluminum and 3CR12 stainless steel and is coated in black epoxy powder, one of the industry’s most durable and lasting finishes. The entire roof rack system weighs approximately 78 pounds.

With an aluminum tray, a stainless steel vehicle mounting system, and zero plastic, the static load rating of 740 pounds easily meets Land Rover’s recommended dynamic load rating of 370 pounds...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Is it my imagination or are those rocks land scraped? 

It seems to be a dead end and, for their size, the rock bed it’s on looks remarkably level ? 

There's clearly been image manipulation.  Not that it matters, it's all about what's on top of the vehicle, not under it!

On 12/27/2019 at 7:50 PM, Anderzander said:

Is it my imagination or are those rocks land scraped? 

It seems to be a dead end and, for their size, the rock bed it’s on looks remarkably level ? 

Doesn’t do much for the credibility of the product, does it?  It shows they haven’t even field tested it.