Overland caravan build

59 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

I guess the difficulties registering were down to us as a country not normally registering trailers unless they’re into the higher weight categories. 

Not quite there is a system here now where you can register any commercial trailer. But it's designed for commercial use only as you don't need to register if it's private use. It doesn't recognise some chassis numbers probably older ones. The problem comes went you go abroad legally here I don't need a registration here or abroad but the police abroad don't believe you and insist you do. As in our case we were ask to leave the country.

Mike

1 minute ago, L19MUD said:

I think this will be a fun build. Also reminds me of the demountable body I built

IMG_20201224_105757.thumb.jpg.1e4fccdf2b507cabcdbf7911bb1acd6d.jpgIMG_20201224_111108.thumb.jpg.7e2c6423baaa2a7c1d739a352340b09b.jpg

Part of me wants to make it demountable as it would be slot more useful but it might not be practical. I will explore the idea once we find a suitable trailer.

Mike

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

@miketomcat I have some sheets of 0.8mm stainless steel,  if you think they would come in handy, I used them in kitchen area when my wife had a small camper van for agility

Regards Stephen

Thank you Steven I'll keep it in mind. At the moment I'll concentrate on external and sleeping area. The kitchen and toilet/shower areas can wait for now. Unfortunately I have an house extension to do this year so the budget is minimal and as soon as we have planning approved work will stop on the caravan.

Mike

• Like 2

Single axle is a lot easier to maneuver and the box already has a wheel arch in roughly the right place, plus 3 wheels and tyres are significantly cheaper than 5. The rendering is based on 235/75x16 (29" standard discovery) we did try 31" but it was all getting a bit tall it's already 2.8m in the current rendering.

Mike

41 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Single axle is a lot easier to maneuver

That's more wheelbase dependent. Biggest issue is when it switches axle to turn on when maneuvering on uneven terrain, that can be a bit tricky yes.

41 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

the box already has a wheel arch in roughly the right place

That is indeed a bigger constraint. I had seen that, but only now notice it's not a very shallow wheel arch, but rather large.

43 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

3 wheels and tyres are significantly cheaper than 5

Also a good point.

45 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

The rendering is based on 235/75x16 (29" standard discovery) we did try 31" but it was all getting a bit tall it's already 2.8m in the current rendering

I'd be wary of a 2.8m tall box on a single axle on big, floaty tyres. Oh, and definitely look into some sort of fairing for the front. My box trailer is a huge air brake you're pulling behind you, eats up a ton of fuel and performance. I'm sure you've noticed the same with your box trailer.

And with how that box is looking, and that you want to extend it back a bit, I'd also be very careful about tongue weight. Looks very easy to make too light.

Not trying to be negative, I'm sure you're thinking this through, just trying to play devil's advocate a little.

• Like 2

Absolutely all good points. The box itself is taller than I planned so that doesn't help. Standard caravans are around 2.6 - 2.8m the lower I can get it the better. Given the choice I'd take the roof off and loose 150mm from the height (it's 2m inside, I'm 1.9m but not worried about headroom to much). If need be I'll open up the wheel arches either higher longer or both, but a trailer chassis may govern this anyway. Nose weight I'm less worried about as that's easily changed with internal positioning.

Mike

2 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

This seems enormously heavy by caravan standards....

That's fully laden weight allowing for 3-400kg of gas,water gear etc. Our last one (16ft, 22ft overal) was 1.8ton fully laden. This is around 18ft but much more substantial and way better insulated.

Mike

30 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

That's fully laden weight allowing for 3-400kg of gas,water gear etc. Our last one (16ft, 22ft overal) was 1.8ton fully laden. This is around 18ft but much more substantial and way better insulated.

Mike

Did you weigh it Mike? That sounds reallllllly heavy. Parent's single axle is only ~1500kg MGW, around 24ft overally and there's really not a lot of payload, certainly nothing like 3-400kg. 

@landroversforeverI didn't but it wasn't light that's for certain. Most only have something like 200kg of payload and it's surprisingly easy to go over that with clothes, bedding cutlery crockery etc.

To be honest it doesn't really matter I'll build it as light as I can but it'll be what it'll be. I'll go for the highest rated trailer I can so there's no problems. I don't know how much the box weighs but I suspect about 300kg.

14 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

@landroversforeverI didn't but it wasn't light that's for certain. Most only have something like 200kg of payload and it's surprisingly easy to go over that with clothes, bedding cutlery crockery etc.

To be honest it doesn't really matter I'll build it as light as I can but it'll be what it'll be. I'll go for the highest rated trailer I can so there's no problems. I don't know how much the box weighs but I suspect about 300kg.

Oh definitely! I bet a large proportion on the road are overloaded. Parents have always been anal at weighing stuff (and a full loaded van) every time they change. Even then it's surprising how little payload there is some times.

Interesting tread this..

IF you consider taking this trailer over to the Continent at any time, please note that for single axle trailers, even foreign plated, the max weight is between 1270 - 1750 kgs.

And esp. the FR love putting people on a weighbridge (Peages have them everywhere..) when they have a feeling about being over the max. axle weight.

I seriously suggest you look into 4 wheels for the project.

• Like 1

Its actually unlikely to go far off road. Let's face it I'm not going to take it greenlaning and in this country a rough gravel track is likely the worst. The point is I hate UK/European caravans they are flimsy and mostly carp. I like the aus style and I have an autistic daughter who climbs and hangs off everything.

Realistically anyone who thinks they are overlanding with a trailer is deluded as it's simply not practical.

The weight thing really isn't a issue for me if it's sub 1ton fantastic, I want it sub 2ton. I can tow up to 3.5ton so the lighter it is the better but I will not cut back on strength just because it's a few kgs more. I plan on keeping it for a while and will likely reconfigure it once the children have given up coming.

I like twin axle but it has a cost, single axle is a lot cheaper but again it has cons.

Mike

• Like 1