OT Perkins A3.152 Run dry of water

L19MUD

8 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Lovely little tractors. I was watching a local chap topping a small pasture the other day. He was using a single flail rotary topper and a Massey 8160. So 200Hp. I used to top that pasture, amongst others, back in the 80's, with the same topper and a Dexta. Or sometimes with a 135. Same engine Dexta is 32hp and the 135 42hp.

I don't reckon it took any longer than this chap took - but he told me he'd used 25litrs of fuel

And that is everything that is wrong with the job today! 😁 

1 hour ago, reb78 said:

What sort of price can you pick them up for? One of these would do all I want on my land....

This all varies quite a lot to be honest

A Dexta like the one i had last year all ready to go is worth 2.5k, the one i bought now running but cosmetically bad is worth 1500 to 1750. I don't know what you want one for but a Dexta is only 35hp and a 5ft topper is plenty unless you keep the grass short. A 45hp Massey 135 will cope with a 6ft topper no problem and has the bonus of foot throttle and 2 stage clutch but a MF135 in the condition of the Dexta I had last year will set you back more like 4k

Parts are cheap for all of them and they are lovely to work on. Happy to have a chat and give you some pointers if you want

• 2 months later...

Finally got round to this.pulled the top cover off the hydraulics to find no issues with the unloader valve like i thought.i took the piston off and the arms are still badly binding so i bolted them back on and have been spraying with WD40 and moving up and down repeatedly by hand. Im not sure of a good way of freeing them up

IMG_20200919_132022.thumb.jpg.efe0c752da1ef36a02c786953cd39f8f.jpg

For 2.5 K I'd gladly take that beautiful blue finished on off you.

However, logistics and most of all a virus.... $%&%$&*%%@!

The Mrs. is looking very hard for something as the Argo is dead and the Winter is coming..

43 minutes ago, muddy said:

Put something heavy on them and cycle whilst dousing everything in lube.

Yes I was thinking of this. I had not done it as requires me to take the top off again and then refit the piston and linkage. I have found someone else who had the same problem and they pressed the shaft out which I have the facilities to do. Just worried about damaging one of the castings plus it is very heavy to get in the press.

I wonder if there is something better I can use than WD40 to help free it off

16 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

... I wonder if there is something better I can use than WD40 to help free it off

I believe you are looking for something with a high degree of penetration.
From what I've read in forums and on-line comparisons, WD40 doesn't score highly in that area, Plus Gas is better.

But, why not go with the product Bad Obsession Motorsport used in the Escargot videos?
They don't give it a sponsors mention, but if you review the right episode, mainly where they are taking stuff off the Ford chassis, they make verbal remarks praising its qualities on the rusty bolts, but frustratingly keep the spray bottle covered with their hands when in use.

Have patience and the bottle is eventually spotted in the background, standing in the rear of the bodywork while our hereos are working outside.

This link to a comparison test, admittedly by the manufacturer, makes interesting reading.
XCP One Home Page
XCP Green One Home page.

I have bought some 'Green One' but haven't had an opportunity to try it, yet.

Regards.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 10:00 AM, Arjan said:

For 2.5 K I'd gladly take that beautiful blue finished on off you.

However, logistics and most of all a virus.... $%&%$&*%%@!

The Mrs. is looking very hard for something as the Argo is dead and the Winter is coming..

If you had said a 'full size' would be suitable.... James is just looking at 1080 at the moment (MF), which has the usual head porosity issues caused by poor earthing; with the intention of swapping in a three cylinder Detroit. His 135 is a 1964 model and has been on the farm all it's life - working hard. Still runs like a sewing machine 

David Brown 880 or 990 selectamatic or implematic are about the best of the bunch for price and reliability. Oddly enough they tend to be cheaper than MF135's or Dexta's and not as popular on the show circuit or ploughing circuit. There's a four cylinder (up to '65) and a three cylinder ('65 to '71)

A show winner is about 4k and a good solid workable tractor starts at 1k. Reliable, economic and easy to work on, with just under 50hp or just over (990) . the 880 is 2.7litre  and the 990 is 3.2. The DB loader was very good and often fitted.

If you look for non classic but pre 1990 tractors, like Same (Tiger 50 or 60), Deutz Fahr, IH, Case International,Leyland, MF 200 series, Ford 2000, 3000, 4000 and 4600, these are less popular and readily available in Europe. Holland is a good place for cheaper tractors.

MF have been built in Beauvais for over 50 years, so there are shed loads of decent MF's in France - But NOT the MF25

I like tractors and stationary engines much more than Evoques.

Perhaps the empty and unused Evoque forum could be repurposed as a tractor forum. I'm sure there'd be more interest the the current incumbent.

Just a thought.

Mo

@Happyoldgit

@Anderzander

@western

@Retroanaconda

@landroversforever

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

I like tractors and stationary engines much more than Evoques.

Perhaps the empty and unused Evoque forum could be repurposed with a tractor forum. I'm sure there'd be more interest the the current incumbent.

Just a thought.

Mo

@Happyoldgit

@Anderzander

@western

@Retroanaconda

@landroversforever

Like a terrier with a bone lol regards Stephen

• Like 2