Roof Leaking?

It's a "95 300Tdi 90......

I have noticed water coming in from the roof when it rains, along the seem where the roof starts to slope down to the front.

I am thinking of putting sealant along the joint from the outside? But don't want it to look like a raised bead going across the top of the roof!?!

I have not dropped/removed the cab headliner as yet, but have noted a roof support strut that the liner is fixed to that runs across were it starts to slope so maybe sealant along the edge of that on the inside?

Anybody had similar problem and any other recommendations to fix the issue???

Cheers Andy 

Ours did this, and l tried all sorts of solutions 

ln the end it turned out to be the rubber seals on the small roof windows, although they looked alright.

Replacing the seals cured the leak.

Edited by Lightning

30 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

Ah yes a fair point. If they are not fitted then they can't be leaking!

It's a land rover. When it comes to leaks, just because they aren't there doesn't mean they cant leak😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had all sorts of leaks on my roof where the original factory sealant had failed.

Used this and no subsequent leaks over the last 5 years.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POLYURETHANE-CAR-BODY-PANEL-BODY-KIT-ADHESIVE-BONDING-SPOILER-T4-T5-SEALER-/371758495595?var=&hash=item952ec50529&redirect=mobile

It is thinner than silicone sealant and can be brushed into gaps

Edited by neil110

"They all do that, Sir".  BL seemed to think that if a defect was common enough, then that made it by definition normal. Land Rover never did shake off that legacy.

Try Captain Tolly's leak sealant.  It's a thin fluid, almost milk like in appearance and probably something akin to very thin PVA, but it's made for sealing leaks in boats and is specifically meant to find small gaps and creep in through capillary action.  It's very effective.  Be warned that it can stain the paint, though it should polish off, so I'd recommend using some masking tape along the edges of the joint before applying it.  You'll find it in any marina chandlers.  If that doesn't fix it, then do the same masking tape runs and apply a bead of white PU adhesive into the joint.

I ended up going quite heavy handed with the sealant about 6 months ago and I've been leak free since then, made a bit of a mess but I'm dry. It used to get me on the first corners of the day so I presume some of the water was coming in through the roof but the worst culprets for me were the windscreen seal, door seal and windscreen hinges/brackets.  I was quite bought into captain tollys judging by the reviews but it didn't work for me, I think the gaps must have been too big for it to seal! It ended up peeling off like long strips of pva glue. I used different brands of polyrethane sealant (sikaflex, tiger seal etc.) and didn't really notice any difference between them.

I ran a stiff nylon brush with some white spirit along all the seams on the roof and then filled in with tiger seal and smoothed off. It didn't look too bad and it wasn't raised up at all. I did  around the outside edge of the sunroof seal as well and plastered vaseline around the where the glass meets the seal (I read somewhere of someone putting edge trim around the edge of the glass and that's on the list but it takes heavy directional rain to drip in now)

P1050507.JPG.34b5a19d1e53928b437a7ea04f89b21f.JPG

My gutters were noticably cracked, these got sealed all the way along

P1050500.JPG.17cbb03af1ac1d926c24616d58056f1b.JPG

There's also the same stuff along the top of the windscreen

P1050503.JPG.0ef533f11c5b13ec210d3497fd9990ee.JPG

Not sure if that leaks as badly but it got the same treatment

P1050504.JPG.8103417702167b193581354ac31774d5.JPG

Edited by Sharp

Well in the end i decided to go with Tiger seal, mainly because i think it's brilliant! Just my opinion, it sticks like the proverbial to a blanket and seals!

Anyway i cleanded and sanded all x3 seems and then masked up all the seems, stuck the new tube of Tiger seal in a bucket of hot water for 20mins. Just to help it flow easier..... After i had done x1 seem i got a jar of petrol, stuck my finger in then dabbed and smoothed the sealant, i have found petrol to be the best for this but you have to thoroughly soak the sealant as it will soon get tacky, plus petrol is the only thing i have found to clean it off!?! So all x3 seems done neat and tidy in time for the next x4 days of rain if the Met office is to be believed!?!

I second Captain Tolly's creeping crack cure for difficult to find leaks.  Beware - it finds it's way through everything, so cover anywhere that staining might matter.  You may also need 2 or 3 applications.  On mine gutter cracks proved to be one of the main culprits. 

Bugger!!!

Well after the rain today it appears the passenger side is not Leaking! Yeeeha

But the drivers side still has a drip!..... AND NO COMMENTS ABOUT THAT BEING ME!!! :)

So i might give this Captain Tolleys ago and see if it will sort it!?! Nothing to lose 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Mutley said:

Bugger!!!

Well after the rain today it appears the passenger side is not Leaking! Yeeeha

But the drivers side still has a drip!..... AND NO COMMENTS ABOUT THAT BEING ME!!! :)

So i might give this Captain Tolleys ago and see if it will sort it!?! Nothing to lose 

What is NOT entirely obvious is that the gutter is actually (at least) three pieces of folded metal. I had a persistent leak from the inside roof channel right above front door on each side, but depsite vast quantities of water coming in the inside of the actual channel was always dry. Turns out the water was coming from somewhere further back in the gutter or at the rear and running along inside the structure of folds to emerge at the front. I'd to dig out all the gutter mastic and force new sealant in to remedy it.

On YouTube, look up roamingtheoutback and Britannia restorations. Both have great advice and practical solutions to this... I’m on a really slow African connection so can’t find them exactly for you etc sorry

Edited by roamingyak

Have you tried sealing the rear seam of the roof panel that is over the front seats/doors and the main flat panel of the roof and the curved sides? On mine, this was the cause of leaks into the gutters on the inside which would shoot water forward to the windscreen pillars on cornering/braking.

You won't see the leaks as they run down inside the top hat strengthening sections and into the folds of the gutters.

Thanks for the info guys, @roamingyak i found those bits on YouTube and did pretty much what "roamingtheoutback" had done minus the guttering as it's leaking from the seam that runs across from passenger to drivers side and drips on both head rests!?!......think i may have been too careful/trying to be too neat when masking up the seams, and masked up so it was only just the seam (about 3-4mm wide). I am going to clean them out again and sealant it so it covers over the eadge of the seam a d not just in it!?! Will make it about 6mm wide this time but shouldnt look too unsightly with it being masked up a d having sharp lines.

@simonb....this is where my main problem seems to be (see what i did there!?! seems,seams) ok so it's been a long day and I'm tired!....So i am concentrating on that joint but happy to do the other x2 as well just for peace of mind.

Just annoying as when you have done what you think is a good job and sorted it, you have to wait till it rains to find out you failed miserably then wait again for a dry spell to have another go!?! Grrrrrr

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update......

Cleaned out the Tiger sealant and recleaned all x3 seams also cleand and removed paint flakes from guttering!

Having watched the roamingtheoutback YouTube video decided to give Sikaflex 291 (marine) Sealant a try? Have to say after doing all x3 seams and x3 gutters, both sides and rear (x1 tube did the lot on a 90) i am impressed with it! It's a lot better/easir to gun out than tigerseal! Plus it's easier to work with, they say to smooth out with a wet finger? But i was bothered about water on the surface as it smoothed out and not sure if it would seal properly??? In the video the guy uses turps, so tried that and found it to be better than the water also when it dries has a good rubbery texture to it, mores so than tigerseal! As i said i would i did seal the roof seams with a wider strip this time.

Now just have to wait till it rains (which according to the MET office should be in the next hour!?!) to see if we hopefully have a result, fingers crossed!

As mentioned x1 tube did x3 roof seams and both sides and rear guttering plus a bit left to fill in and touch up, info for those that are thinking of going down this route.

So stay tuned and I'll be back in a day or so with the verdict.