New to me toys

1 minute ago, Gazzar said:

Time is precious, and health. So happy to spend if it means I can do the stuff I enjoy.

We will probably need to agree to disagree because I see enjoyment and satisfaction in making something useful like that......

Regards Stephen

• Like 1

I agree! If I had the steel in stock I'd almost certainly have made it, but it would have probably cost me more to buy a chunk of steel than the tool cost. So spent the time drilling the chassis instead.

I got him to cut some bars for the axle spreader as well, again, nothing suitable in the scrap pile. Plus cutting 12mm with a grinder isn't fun, or quiet.

35 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

Don't you have an oxy setup? 

I do, but using the grinder with slitting discs gives me more accuracy, also once my bottles run out I wont have any so I use it sparingly, this did not come under the "no other option" category

Regards Stephen

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

also once my bottles run out I wont have any so I use it sparingly

Is that because of being able to obtain it or the expense?

My local tractor factors do a rental free one (SGS I think), as do Hobbyweld I think. Haven't looked into their prices recently but I know acetylene was getting damn expensive.

Obtaining it, I'm just Joe public, also there is the implications of storage, to be honest there are so many ways available now to cut steel you can just about get away without oxy acetylene/propane and how often do you need to cut 70mm steel at home. I'm probably one of the users of thicker steel on the forum,  yet I manage without quite well, what I do is a hobby and not a business as I guess that would cause me some restrictions with regards to highly flammable gas on the premises regards Stephen

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Obtaining it, I'm just Joe public, also there is the implications of storage, to be honest there are so many ways available now to cut steel you can just about get away without oxy acetylene/propane and how often do you need to cut 70mm steel at home. I'm probably one of the users of thicker steel on the forum,  yet I manage without quite well, what I do is a hobby and not a business as I guess that would cause me some restrictions with regards to highly flammable gas on the premises regards Stephen

All fair points, sometimes I forget being in rural West Wales and in a farming community having a farm gets you a lot of leeway.

Sometimes a grinder is the most effective. I had some 20" OD (20mm wall thickness) pipe to cut up for an acquaintance. Tried my plasma which was supposed to be able to handle 20mm (an ambitious target mind), had plenty of power with 3ph 400A per phase in the lab and air was supplied by the Defender. Wouldn't touch it - tried drilling a hole through it to act as a pilot hole - knocked the rust off and that was it and simply blunted the bit. In the end 9" grinder and some DIY rollers made light work of it.

It was something special being a 3m offcut from an oil well in Kenya. Think it was 20% chrome - so despite surface rust the thing was worse than stainless steel.

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

Would gouging rods be a more accessible solution for rough cutting maybe?

If it's like plasma then it may harden the cut edge which unless you hit it with a grinder makes it difficult to work with.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...