The time has finally come...new chassis time

L19MUD

10 hours ago, Jon W said:

Where was the bumper from and dare I ask how much?

It came from this company https://www.4x4works.co.uk/ who managed to get what they say is the last of the old shape ARB bumpers available. I didn't want one of the newer design ones as my light guards would not fit.

It was erm quite spendy.......£950. I bought it in a moment of 'sod it I am never going to be able to buy a new one ever again'

15 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

It came from this company https://www.4x4works.co.uk/ who managed to get what they say is the last of the old shape ARB bumpers available. I didn't want one of the newer design ones as my light guards would not fit.

It was erm quite spendy.......£950. I bought it in a moment of 'sod it I am never going to be able to buy a new one ever again'

I thought they still made this style along with the ones you always see body coloured?

2 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

I thought they still made this style along with the ones you always see body coloured?

No it has been replaced with this design https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283439784285

Body coloured is an option on any of the bumpers they do. I wanted black as it ties in with everything else on my truck

I have made a little more progress in between staring at my new bumper.

All the arms I cleaned up have had 1 coat of Kurust, 2 red oxide and 2 hammerite

I have cleaned all the rust off the rear axle and it has had 1 Kurust and 1 red oxide so far. Need to clean up the front axle next but that is not so much rusty as oily and greasy from the varoius leaks at the front of the truck!

Axle.thumb.jpg.618f73098bb3a55018a3febb072688ac.jpg

4 minutes ago, paime said:

What were the costs of all that if you don't mind my asking? Did you spray it yourself or did a body shop do it?

I paid someone to do it as I just don't have the kit to do a proper job. It was £300

Doing the T wash is easy though (although they did it as I didn't want any come back to say I had not done it properly) as you just make sure the galv has gone dark. You can brush it on

Engine and box cleaned up of the worst dirt and grease then dropped in at the weekend. 

DSC_1590.thumb.JPG.26431092c39e54e5b0460e279eafc3a8.JPG

I then pondered what to do with my brake calipers having started to clean them up they were in a bit of a state. In the end decided the electrolysis tank can't hurt them as long as I make sure I dry them out properly before I fit new pistons and seals

DSC_1591.thumb.JPG.03c4d53a93960a613dae78a29a8e84db.JPG

I fitted BP calipers a few years ago and (touch wood) so far they haven't given me any troubles. Makes a big difference having refurbed calipers over rusty old ones but if you're replacing pistons and seals then i'm sure you'll see the same benefits.