2.5 petrol rebuild and conversion to EFI thread?

Gazzar

And I think it will work out with minimal fabrication, just a thick strip of steel along the back and some holes, we should be good to go to.

IMG_20200715_205345.jpg

IMG_20200715_205112.jpg

IMG_20200715_205104.jpg

IMG_20200715_204855.jpg

IMG_20200715_204848.jpg

• Like 1

The hole in the sensor is a weird size, I couldn't find a bolt to fit it!

I suppose that gives me play.

Oh, and yes, the bracket will be a lot prettier when I'm finished.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

The V8 will be more powerful, more fun, and more economical... what's not to like?

Interesting you say that.  A decade or two back, I ran  standard V8110 as a work car and had a standard 2.5 110 of my own.  Both bog standard hard tops.  I kept meticulous records and, over several months, the V8 ranged between 16 and 19 m.p.g., while the 2.5 ranged from 17 to 21 m.p.g..  You could argue the V8 was more efficient because it was doing that at slightly higher speed with slightly better acceleration but it was definitely less economical!  I like the V8 (have had a few) but really like the 2.5 as well.  It just suits a Land Rover perfectly - and it's pretty trouble-free too.

46 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

What’s going on there then ? 

Good question.

I think the pulley boss is adjustable on the water pump.

Mind you, most things are, when you use a 30 tonne press to adjust them.

IMG_20200715_190208.thumb.jpg.b7d860c36637e962b6a302be05c92ea0.jpg

Hopefully it's not buggered up the seals and bearing. Spins okay still, and it all aligns now.

Mostly.

The alternator still needs one washer to make the pulley nice.

But the washers to shim forward are no more.

IMG_20200715_192029.thumb.jpg.59294e0dc172ecd13e5f5d9983c2e6bf.jpg

Optical illusion, it's not our the other way now.

I'm happy.

IMG_20200715_192025.thumb.jpg.25b733267ef15b6693f65bde6103d033.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, deep said:

Interesting you say that.  A decade or two back, I ran  standard V8110 as a work car and had a standard 2.5 110 of my own.  Both bog standard hard tops.  I kept meticulous records and, over several months, the V8 ranged between 16 and 19 m.p.g., while the 2.5 ranged from 17 to 21 m.p.g..  You could argue the V8 was more efficient because it was doing that at slightly higher speed with slightly better acceleration but it was definitely less economical!  I like the V8 (have had a few) but really like the 2.5 as well.  It just suits a Land Rover perfectly - and it's pretty trouble-free too.

Agreed,  never had a sixer or a 2.25 Diesel. but nearly the rest: V8 ('Looks' like a good idea), TDi (masochistic), 2.25, and a Prima ('orrible). An ACR kitted 2.5 is the cherry-on-the-top. A stock 2.5  needs a tad more. You're right, you  won't see much over 20-21mpg, the ACR kit give a little more economy , but not to speak of. And you lose this gain if you prod it, which you'll tend to do. I solve the 17 to 21 mpg by Homefill, which has its own compromises. At 2.8, I've got 300cc more than this project aims for, I'd expect head-to-head, Gazzer is still set to give me a hiding? And I agree, I am a gnat's cock under a V8 in the grunt department, ie: top of my local test-hill I'm down 1-2mph. But... it suits in a way I can't quite convey to those that haven't experienced it. In the real world, not looking at speedometers atop hills, I don't notice.

However running G20 does lose me grunt - this I NOTICE.  Until i run petrol which in practice, unless to get me home, I just don't. But this suffers the hit in any engine that must also run liquid. For a start the gases like 13:1 CR or more - 110-120 RON etc,. You can't find say, 14:1 when wanting to also run liquid - you take the hit. On G20 it refuses to pink!

Does-ya-see where my 300cc is lost again? This is why I'm very  interested in what a 17H will do with full Mega'ed EFi. I won't claim perfect; yet I've said before, mine's good, and I'd G20 this if it were my project - then again it isn't.  I think this is set to be the best of the lot.

Edited by Landrover17H

The alternator alignment is becoming easier.

I've bought a new pulley:

It's going to work better, no spacer, and a deeper dish, so the nut will be fully fully engaged.

Old on the right, black:

IMG_20200716_113647.thumb.jpg.352c78ab5c6f24ca7b6baf1b7ff7fadd.jpg

Old on spacer v new:

IMG_20200716_113700.thumb.jpg.b5c0ff8598f7c39256a663b23284cdec.jpg

IMG_20200716_113707.jpg

• Like 1

It did occur to ask you, but I knew this series was very original, so it was, to my mind, they best starting reference point.

Plus it was an excuse to get in the LWB, and enjoy that lovely TDI torque! I'll kill the gearbox soon, if I'm not careful.

Stupid question, it's been a long time since I ran a petrol car, how does the cold start, cold run thing work?

Is there a choke analogy in the modern MS world?

And does this mean I don't need a choke cable?

The next stage will be bracket completion, then pulley/trigger wheel alignment, and finally fitting the pulley.

Then its water pump/belts/alternator.

After that, fitting the slinging eyes, neck plate and flywheel/ clutch

I hope to that this in the chassis by the end of next week.

I'll take a break then, as I think is time I sorted out the air compressors. Media blasting and 2k spraying are now "must haves", so I need to install the pipe work, extractors, and air supply plumbing.

3 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Correct, no choke cable, MS calculates how much extra fuel required based on the engine temp sensor, and a table you create.

Thought it might be that. Thank you.

I still need to get an ignition switch and steering column cowl, so that's another story.

1 hour ago, rusty_wingnut said:

Chopping bulkheads, heat, the fact the engine needs a complete rebuild. 

This is the thing - any choice is going to be a compromise, and there is no real right or wrong; individual owners will each have different requirements and different tolerance for the various negatives of a given solution.  As much as I like the V8, if I had the budget and a need to use a petrol engine, I’d go the way Gary has, though I’d need to import the expertise for the software as I have no comprehension of it.  I really don’t like the idea of the even narrower passenger foot well, already a bit cramped, or the underfloor heat, the hard to come by adaptors and the severe reactions to moisture the V8 has - I’d rather put up with a little noise, while 2.5 petrol owners will just sacrifice a small amount of performance or economy.  With no budget limitations, I’d go electric - the smoothest, quietest drive with the most performance, most long term economy and almost no servicing (none on the engine).  To each their own!

I plan on all four:

TDI (modified)

4 pot petrol (modified)

4.6 V8 ( probably standard) hoping to avoid cutting my shiny new TDI bulkhead

And electric (who knows)

Electric is a while away, mind, and might even be powered by a tram motor, as I know a guy who can access these things.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Stupid question, it's been a long time since I ran a petrol car, how does the cold start, cold run thing work?

Is there a choke analogy in the modern MS world?

And does this mean I don't need a choke cable?

You don't need a choke cable, no.

MS has a couple of stages but the main thing is the warmup enrichment (WUE) which is a simple lookup table of temperature Vs % extra fuel;

warmup_wizard.png

• Like 1