Selling up: best way

lo-fi

I think it's fair to say I'm over Land Rovers. Tired of the struggle, expense and general carpness. I used to find it charming, but sadly I'm now in a situation where I just find it frustrating, boring and like a chore. Kinda sad, but after two years of trying to get my landy mojo back, I think it's time to call it a day and move on. Hobbies should be enjoyable! 

I have a 109 with extensive work, and a 109 SW & 88 in pieces. The latter two are definitely going; jury is still out on the first. 

I'm looking for a little input on the projects really, if I may... Particularly the 109 SW. It arrived to me complete, but very sorry for itself. Its now in pieces. I'm torn between selling the parts, selling the whole project in pieces, or bolting it back together and selling as a unit. As parts is probably the best way financially, but that seems a shame, much as I won't rule it out at this stage. As a whole project, how much more attractive is it in one piece than in bits? 

The 88 is probably going to be a straight parts sale as its not totally complete, unless there's value in it as a whole? 

Thanks guys! I'm sure the rose tinted glasses will appear years on and I'll be thinking "wish I still had that landy", but I need to free some funds for other hobbies. Such is life!

• Sad 2

My wife just looked over my shoulder whilst reading this, patted me on the head and said ' i know how that feels '  and wandered off....😂

As Dave said, parts will gain you more money but take longer t shift and i guarentee you'll be left with a pile of ' not so exclusive ' bits that will end up probably being scrapped.

I have a project on the go otherwise i'd have a serious chat with you about what you have as i love the older 109's & 88's but being sensible is kicking in :P

13 minutes ago, Badger110 said:

My wife just looked over my shoulder whilst reading this, patted me on the head and said ' i know how that feels '  and wandered off....😂

LOL!!

It is a shame and I've tried having serious words with myself, but it's just not working. Good points on the not so desirable parts. I guess the bits that won't sell are best scrapped anyhow. 

I bet when you only have one to worry about, you will be more enthusiastic about working on it.

Personally I'd just sell as projects the other two, more money in parts but your time has to be worth something with all the faff. Plus, they even take away the stuff that is worthless!

Sorry to hear that, your 109 is a great machine... but I know the struggle sometimes!

If you can hang on until Sodbury you can shift a fair bit of stuff that's uneconomical to bother eBaying & posting, people seem to buy utter tat and leave the good stuff sometimes!

I did it whole to avoid hassle, it's work stripping it, sorting it, posting it, lots of dodgy people coming and poking around your house / garage and getting rid of the stuff that no one wants. I think I was about 20% down financially but that's before I have to pay for dozens of listings on eBay or cost of postage so I think the pounds versus the hassle it was the best way. 

If you can sort all the bits per vehicle I think they will sell as a lot, people love a project, plus it keeps a whole Land Rover on the road.

I would keep the runner for now, if you can sorn it and shove it in a corner, see what happens. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

I bet when you only have one to worry about, you will be more enthusiastic about working on it.

This. I kept this going for ages (owned the landy for 28 years). So keep the one that is most valuable to you. 

I somehow are never tempted to sell, due to the time already spend on the project. There is a lot of value in that, that only you appreciate. There have been times were the landy was sitting untouched in the garage for ages (about 4 years I think after Ladoga when the engine was dead and our first baby was born). But I always came back to it. I am not quite the right example for having only 1 project, as I bought the Jeep as well recently. This is a slow burner, and I am in no rush with it. If it comes to it, it could be my retirement project (yes, being middle aged does make you think about this). And why is that a problem?

The thing I will say, is that most people that sell their project unfinished do regret it later. So the message is if you have the space and it doesn't cost you anything there is no real point of selling and making a loss.

• Like 4

Thanks all, gives me a bit of clarity.

Looks like the path of least resistance is to bolt the SW back together. The sticking point is the bulkhead as its a big pile of rust! Lol. May take some thinking about. 

Might I ask how old are you ? I am 60 this year and my enthusiasm is definitely not what it was. When I was young, laying in the snow with rusty and oily bits never bothered me much, but back then I could only afford one vehicle, so it HAD to be running in order to get to work (and the pub).

It eventually got really out of hand too. Garden with axles, engines, rolling chassis etc. Spare bedroom full of precious 90/110 panels, also a lock up full of stuff, and a stable at my friends farm......…...…….. I am sure a lot of you are familiar with this scenario.

I became sick of it all in 1997/8, and sold and scrapped everything, except for a coil sprung/90axles series bitsa, and very liberating it was too. But I did end up regretting it

However, in 2012 omeone offered me a 90 with a dead engine cheap. So off we went again. Its not as bad as before, but it does get me down at times. Also, having more than one "hobby" vehicle definitely dilutes any effort and enthusiasm.

I would suggest keeping the one you like best (SW ?) and getting rid of the other two as unfinished projects, BUT keeping or swapping the best bits for the one you are keeping.

Stripping and selling for parts is just too much hassle, unless you are really skint and desperately need the money.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, smallfry said:

Also, having more than one "hobby" vehicle definitely dilutes any effort and enthusiasm.

^ Very much this. I hit a point early on where I had the 109, a kart, and a Mk1 Golf in resto and the result was zero time or money to get anything done on any of them. Sold 2 of the 3 and it was a weight off the mind and wallet, let me focus on one thing and actually do (mostly) what I wanted to get done.

It's sad to hear but I understand. I sold my Merc 190D years ago and I regret it now but in reality I don't want my drive full of cars. 

If you sell them, you can always come back to the hobby if you miss it. Maybe get a Defender  or what ever in tip top condition that means you won't be having to crawl around under it. 

I feel all your pain I had to let a 101 go as no where to keep it when I relocated with work kept a 2a lightweight which I 60% restored and then moved house it's now been sat for 8yrs and will need starting again definitely lost enthusiasm for that at the moment but you have to do what makes you happy guess that's more important  regards Stephen 

• Like 1

I totally get how you feel , I've got a 110 which is my main motor and daily driver and a project 90 I seem to spend all my time in the workshop and none enjoying other hobbies I like . I’ve lost all enthusiasm for my 90 which is nearly done and have been thinking of selling it for the last few months  . I’ve found that you channel efforts into the project , then small jobs pop up on your main truck and you put them off then things start to escalate, I’ve come to the conclusion that 1 Land Rover is enough unless you want to spend all your time on them and none doing everything else you enjoy . I also find that jobs are starting to take longer as the will isn't there to get on with them and I really can’t be arsed anymore, it’s nice to know it’s not just me that feels like this . Think it’s time to make my mind up whether to sell as is or bolt put the last few bits on and then get rid .

I reconcile selling projects off as passing them to someone who'll hopefully have more time/enthusiasm for them. Walked round a car show with a mate who kept saying "I used to have one of those! I should've kept it!" but no-one has enough storage or money to keep every car just in case it becomes a future classic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smallfry said:

also a lock up full of stuff, and a stable at my friends farm......…...…….. I am sure a lot of you are familiar with this scenario.

Yep, I hear ya. Rusting tat everywhere!. I'm the tender age of 39.

I may yet keep one, but... A mate of mine bought a Ford Ranger recently. Its so useful by comparison, it's quiet, doesn't leak, cheap and doesn't break all the time. Mostly things I think no land rover has ever been, sad as it is to say. Character only gets you so far, so its been the final nail in the coffin for the poor old landy. I'd probably keep the V8 109 with the winch as that's got the most work in it. I'll see how I feel after shifting some stuff. 

Its heartening to hear I'm not alone struggling for motivation, but really feel for everyone having a hard time. It's really not easy. We've got to be at the top of the market, so it may be as good a time as any to sell up for anyone considering it. 

Bulkhead is a tricky one. Almost nothing decent around, particularly for a six pot, and a recon will cost as much as I'm likely to get back from the whole project. 

The other part of the problem is this:7718.thumb.JPG.6ffb23940315c87eeff6f0f60dfd4baf.JPG

Nine months into overhauling it, with a team of eager volunteers beside me. Very hard to get motivated to fiddle with dissolving green oval tin on my own by comparison. 

18 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I reconcile selling projects off as passing them to someone who'll hopefully have more time/enthusiasm for them

That's how I think about it. Hopefully I can find it all good homes.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ianmayco68 said:

I think it’s good that things like this can be talked about on here without ridicule or idiots with smart comments, that’s why I like this forum it’s a community a group of people whom most have never met but all are in a way friends.

Long may it continue regards Stephen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, lo-fi said:

Yep, I hear ya. Rusting tat everywhere!. I'm the tender age of 39.

I may yet keep one, but... A mate of mine bought a Ford Ranger recently. Its so useful by comparison, it's quiet, doesn't leak, cheap and doesn't break all the time. Mostly things I think no land rover has ever been, sad as it is to say. Character only gets you so far, so its been the final nail in the coffin for the poor old landy. I'd probably keep the V8 109 with the winch as that's got the most work in it. I'll see how I feel after shifting some stuff. 

Its heartening to hear I'm not alone struggling for motivation, but really feel for everyone having a hard time. It's really not easy. We've got to be at the top of the market, so it may be as good a time as any to sell up for anyone considering it. 

Bulkhead is a tricky one. Almost nothing decent around, particularly for a six pot, and a recon will cost as much as I'm likely to get back from the whole project. 

The other part of the problem is this:7718.thumb.JPG.6ffb23940315c87eeff6f0f60dfd4baf.JPG

Nine months into overhauling it, with a team of eager volunteers beside me. Very hard to get motivated to fiddle with dissolving green oval tin on my own by comparison. 

That's how I think about it. Hopefully I can find it all good homes.

Very nice, I saw that in Devon at the Dartmouth steam railway a few years ago. It is nice to be involved in something like that, but there is sting in the tail: no matter how much time and effort you put into it, you are always left empty handed at the end of it. Been there too in my younger years, I was volunteering at a dutch steam railway.

The landy, however is yours and with the price of classic landys the way they are, you could end up with something very valuable in say 20 years time. 

• Like 1