Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

On 10/26/2020 at 7:11 PM, Bowie69 said:

That looks really rather nice...

Still not 100% sold on the bonnet, but there we go :)

Shame the lower edge of the window frames don't line through, perhaps a pre-production thing?

Someone will make an aftermarket Defender style bonnet. 

• Like 1

That seems likely.  I’m not sold on the rear lights, either, but the designer’s explanation for them does make some sense.  They may grow on me - I hated the Discovery 3 when it was launched, but it became less ugly with time.  These lights are mild by comparison.

• Like 2

I guess it's just as easy to find 17/18 inch tyres as 16s these days and I do have a preference for steel rims but, my goodness, the ones in that film are fugly!  Maybe, if they weren't black, they could look better?  Hopefully the production wheels will better match the style of the rest of the car.

More importantly - why are the show wheels 6 stud and the ones on the car 5 stud?  Are they still deciding whose stud pattern to adopt?

3 minutes ago, deep said:

I guess it's just as easy to find 17/18 inch tyres as 16s these days and I do have a preference for steel rims but, my goodness, the ones in that film are fugly!  Maybe, if they weren't black, they could look better?  Hopefully the production wheels will better match the style of the rest of the car.

More importantly - why are the show wheels 6 stud and the ones on the car 5 stud?  Are they still deciding whose stud pattern to adopt?

I think one of the mules was Jeep Wrangler based IIRC. 

As for the wheels.... yeah they look awful! I think some of it comes down to the offset. They’re very similar to the D2 rim shape. 

Liking the look of the rim choices. Have to say I'm genuinely excited about this vehicle. Although I'm unlikely to be able to afford a new one.

It's a very much "want" vehicle. Alongside things like the new Bronco, Wrangler, Dodge Ram TRX and Chevy Colorado ZR2.

Whereas the new Defender sits firmly in the 'interested' list, but probably not one I'd actually buy; New Defender, Raptor Ranger, F150 Raptor.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 7:11 PM, Bowie69 said:

Shame the lower edge of the window frames don't line through, perhaps a pre-production thing?

I was sat looking at another defender, and realised Ineos have been entirely faithful in their remake of the true icon, including the window line not lining through.

What was I thinking?

18 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Liking the look of the rim choices. Have to say I'm genuinely excited about this vehicle. Although I'm unlikely to be able to afford a new one.

It's a very much "want" vehicle. Alongside things like the new Bronco, Wrangler, Dodge Ram TRX and Chevy Colorado ZR2.

Whereas the new Defender sits firmly in the 'interested' list, but probably not one I'd actually buy; New Defender, Raptor Ranger, F150 Raptor.

Me too.  Perhaps not “very”, but “quite” (that British sort of quite).  Not so much the US vehicles - I admire those but would only fancy a Wrangler.  But yes, I’d rather like a Grenadier, few minor quibbles aside.  

9 hours ago, Snagger said:

Me too.  Perhaps not “very”, but “quite” (that British sort of quite).  Not so much the US vehicles - I admire those but would only fancy a Wrangler.  But yes, I’d rather like a Grenadier, few minor quibbles aside.  

The Bronco looks promising, maybe a more direct competitor to the Defender due to having more space inside than a Wrangler?

17 hours ago, deep said:

The Bronco looks promising, maybe a more direct competitor to the Defender due to having more space inside than a Wrangler?

The Bronco is much cheaper than a Defender and speced much more for off road.  It will sell 20 times more than the Defender. The Defender is more a rich person's play thing.  There will be little crossover.

3 hours ago, Red90 said:

The Bronco is much cheaper than a Defender and speced much more for off road.  It will sell 20 times more than the Defender. The Defender is more a rich person's play thing.  There will be little crossover.

With the number of Broncos likely to be sold. Yes, few of the owners would likely have been potential Defender owners. 

However in the USA I suspect that quite a number of potential Defender owners might opt for a Bronco instead. Prices are not so far adrift, although specs vary between them. 

6 hours ago, Red90 said:

The Bronco makes the Land Rover design team look like muppets.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Red90 said:

It’s  more my feeling about the character of the vehicle than it’s capabilities.  I like what they have done with the Bronco, and it certainly looks a good bargain, but for whatever reason, there is something I prefer about the look and feel of the Wrangler.  Perhaps it’s seeing so many of them where I live and how personalised and modified many of them are (some for the better, some for the worse), a bit like the classic Land Rovers.

• 1 month later...

The latest thing to be sent to the pre-registered is a livery competition. 

Inside the zip file is a 2D line drawing and a 3D image to colour in. The prize is interesting: 

"We’ll choose two winners based on our favourite designs. They’ll then get the chance to meet one of our in-house designers (virtually or in person) with their winning wraps put onto our Grenadiers. You’ve got until January 4th to get your entries in."

Time to volunteer some small children?

2D - Grenadier.jpg

3D - Grenadier.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It came from a FaceBook group which has images and news items slightly before the official ones. I'd guess it is part of a "managed" leak for PR purposes. The line drawings released with them were the graphics from a trade mark application in the USA.