Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

Well .... I think they don’t build a massive pharma company without being somewhat ruthless and commercially astute. They’ll do the numbers and we will know which one was the most economically advantageous.... because they will choose it.

In someways that attitude is in part what gives me confidence that they’ll make the automotive business viable. They’re not just car enthusiasts or dreamers with no business sense.

• Like 1

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/07/07/jim-ratcliffes-ineos-mulls-making-land-rover-rival-france/

Who cares where it's made?

I guess that since it will be sold as a commercial vehicle rather than a car, it will escape the EU's per-vehicle punishment for cars emitting more than 100grams/Km of CO2: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/12/29/car-giants-face-billions-fines-eu-emissions-rules-take-effect/

I wonder how it will be treated in the UK: here, "commercial vehicles" have a lower dual-carriageway speed-limit than passenger-cars. There has been argument in the past as to whether a Defender-with-rear-seats is allowed to do 60 or 70MPH on a dual-carriageway.

Will the Grenadier have a factory full-rear-seating option, I wonder?

The French have some rather nasty laws about making people redundant, so Ineos may be hoping to be bribed by Daimler to pick up the slack and get whatever sweeteners are offered by the French local authorities. 

(All a bit depressing as my wife, working from home, is making arrangements to make lots of people redundant around the country).

7 hours ago, Tanuki said:

I guess that since it will be sold as a commercial vehicle rather than a car, it will escape the EU's per-vehicle punishment for cars emitting more than 100grams/Km of CO2:

I mentioned that a few pages ago and also thought the emissions regs would fit into the same puzzle. My original argument was based around the lower limit discouraging people from buying it who would be likely to drive it like a car then whinge bitterly and publically when full live axle peculiarities bite.

I'm not sure how many parrallels there are between type approval and IVA but calling your homebuild a commercial and stomaching the reduced speed limits makes external projections testing easier.

Only thing that added a little doubt to that was the mention of families in one of the videos. I think they have been painting a more constructed story in those videos though.

5 hours ago, WesBrooks said:

I think they have been painting a more constructed story in those videos though.

Me too, given that it's been 100% CGI vehicles and marketing puff up till now - the same thing everyone moaned about LR doing in the Defender thread, but I guess when Ineos are telling you what you want to hear it's fine :lol:

13 hours ago, Red90 said:

They used to be cheaper than that before Mercedes lost their way.

Back in 1979 Mercedes G classe was priced at about 30000 DM in Germany. Quick run thru the inflation calculator - its about 35000 euro in today's money. 

10 years later the price were about 60000 DM. About 50000 euro today, adjusted for inflation

• 5 weeks later...

If the Grenadier is made abroad it will undermine all of the vehicle's intent as a spiritual successor to the Land Rover. Given that a major reason why the Defender was ceased was it's high production cost/low profit margin, Ineos's main USP was (to me at least) showing a British utility vehicle could be a commercially viable product and widely exportable. The whole point is two fingers up at LR to show what they could have done. 

When we bemoan that "Britain don't make nothing no more", it is decisions like this that cause it. They are making a conscious decision to walk away from British manufacturing.

I predict this will be an unpopular opinion as it seems Ineos can do no wrong, but we wouldn't/havent forgiven JLR for the same behavior with Slovakian production lines.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

If the Grenadier is made abroad it will undermine all of the vehicle's intent as a spiritual successor to the Land Rover. Given that a major reason why the Defender was ceased was it's high production cost/low profit margin, Ineos's main USP was (to me at least) showing a British utility vehicle could be a commercially viable product and widely exportable. The whole point is two fingers up at LR to show what they could have done. 

When we bemoan that "Britain don't make nothing no more", it is decisions like this that cause it. They are making a conscious decision to walk away from British manufacturing.

I predict this will be an unpopular opinion as it seems Ineos can do no wrong, but we wouldn't/havent forgiven JLR for the same behavior with Slovakian production lines.

I hear where you are coming from. But ultimately most vehicles are world components these days.

BMW's and Mercs are built in the USA and shipped all over the world. Yet to most people they are still "German" cars. Fords are built in Malaysia and people in the UK still think of them as British cars (of course ignoring the fact that they are American).

Isn't it Bentley's that have all of their components built in other countries and then shipped to the UK for final assembly. Are they really 'Made in Britain'?

From my own stable, I have an American muscle/pony car. But it was actually built in Canada and shipped direct to the EU. It has never set a tyre on US soil.

3 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

I hear where you are coming from. But ultimately most vehicles are world components these days.

BMW's and Mercs are built in the USA and shipped all over the world. Yet to most people they are still "German" cars. Fords are built in Malaysia and people in the UK still think of them as British cars (of course ignoring the fact that they are American).

Isn't it Bentley's that have all of their components built in other countries and then shipped to the UK for final assembly. Are they really 'Made in Britain'?

From my own stable, I have an American muscle/pony car. But it was actually built in Canada and shipped direct to the EU. It has never set a tyre on US soil.

That is of course the real point, the number of "made in [not Britain]" Stickers on LR Genuine parts proves that these were multinational products for decades. I have to look up BMW part numbers for connectors on my TD5 harnesses...

I suppose it is that final bolting together in the UK that I was grasping onto, and for that to go... Well, I'm just disappointed it won't be thought of as the British engineering success I really wanted it to be.

• Like 2