Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

1 hour ago, ThreePointFive said:

If the Grenadier is made abroad it will undermine all of the vehicle's intent as a spiritual successor to the Land Rover. Given that a major reason why the Defender was ceased was it's high production cost/low profit margin, Ineos's main USP was (to me at least) showing a British utility vehicle could be a commercially viable product and widely exportable. The whole point is two fingers up at LR to show what they could have done. 

When we bemoan that "Britain don't make nothing no more", it is decisions like this that cause it. They are making a conscious decision to walk away from British manufacturing.

I predict this will be an unpopular opinion as it seems Ineos can do no wrong, but we wouldn't/havent forgiven JLR for the same behavior with Slovakian production lines.

I think it will be quite a popular view.  I certainly share it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

It would be pretty immaterial to me in truth. I just feel that admiring and enjoying something is independent of where it’s made.

I’d have to agree with you. I like the new Jimny, couldn’t care less that it’s a jap car. I know Ineos were trying to go a bit for the heritage/uk built... but actually what matters more to me is the business model and it actually being a success and being built in enough numbers to survive. 

21 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Well, either you're moaning about it not being made in Britain, or moaning about it being too expensive. Pick one.

But we have a huge car industry over here, exporting all over the world. If it was impossible to make it for a low enough figure, then all the other car plants would have shipped out.

As it happens, even after Brexit, they are staying.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Well, either you're moaning about it not being made in Britain, or moaning about it being too expensive. Pick one.

I'm not moaning about anything being expensive. If it costs more than I can afford I don't buy it.

Mo

14 hours ago, Snagger said:

Come down here and say that. 🙄

Haha.  My Land Rover came from Dubai.  It had sat on a runway for a while.  When they went to shift it, the tyres tore as they had welded to the surface!  Proper, lovely hot.  

• Like 1

Mid forties and 90%+ humidity here.  We had several domestic AC units break down last week, which turned out to be filthy compressors and condensers on the roof.  The maintenance guys sorted them out, and all of downstairs AC has gone this morning.  Knowing how these guys work and think (well, they don’t tend to do the latter), they only cleaned the broken systems last week and ignored the others, even though they’d be equally clogged with sand and dust...🙄

• Like 1

An inside low of 17.4 is impressive.  On these frosty days, I can't keep my overnight low above 10 degrees C, even by getting up early and stoking up the fire before the previous night's wood is burnt up.  Sigh.  Insulation in these old wooden boxes is minimal!

Back to the topic at hand - we've known for a while they were using BMW sixes but last weeks video went into more detail.  I have thought for decades that a 3 litre straight six was what a Land Rover needed, though six rungs lower on the complexity ladder was more what I had in mind!  At least there is an international parts distribution system for those motors (and gearboxes) and they're proven items.  Seems to be a very wise choice.

• Like 1

Building it in France will cost a fortune.  Labour law prevents sacking of even the most incompetent and lazy staff, severely limits weekly hours and they’re always on strike.  Ineos would be shooting themselves in the foot.  But other than that, the vehicle is looking pretty impressive, and a far, far better prospect than the Pretender.

• Like 1