I can't remember what my 300 Tdi is, but would love a retro steering wheel, too.
I'd take the standard over any sporty replacement as I find the big diameter and shape are comfortable for me, sadly it's wearing on top and won't get better with time.

Yes, 48 spline in my 98’ 110, 36 spline for the early steering wheel.

given its age I figured it not a bad idea to renew the shafts, unis etc so a new column isn’t the end of the world. I do wonder if the later column stalks (switch’s) are compatible with the earlier column and wheel? I know there are different part numbers for them??

On 1/23/2022 at 7:28 AM, western said:

Yes, just remember to transfer the metal prongs that operate the indicator self cancel on steering wheel to the 'new' steering whel, thats all I did when I swapped from the ols 4 spoke to my Td5XS leather covered 36 spline wheel. 

I just dug out my original steering wheel….. umm, yep , that ain’t happening lol. The metal prong is part of the hub/spline section bonded into the wheel. 

While the later prongs are thicker, they are very close to the same width and only 1mm difference ID between prongs. Offering up the blue collar ( that the prongs engage) it seems it will work. 

Only time will tell 

67F7D941-5F77-4344-B2F3-2046ADF00A9F.thumb.jpeg.2b8441a393865624bd8cb0543c29bfa7.jpeg

70898074-3C69-43C3-9E96-ADF7049F677A.thumb.jpeg.359823cf724bc3776bd0a05c410b901e.jpeg

I got sick of fabricating press beams and not working on the 110 lol,  so I fluffed about a bit and did some work on the rear of chassis. I made a couple plywood templates to locate my custom crossmember in its new location 200mm forward of the factory position. It also allowed me start the chassis prep. Still LOTS to do to finalise this. 

D7A6454C-FC6B-4CBF-AB30-A8C43EBBCE3C.thumb.jpeg.1cc0e9045d28eceb6089edf888b2622e.jpeg

2FB377A3-DFD5-445F-B00E-1562BCB4D241.thumb.jpeg.9bb364e764e47fdf0751eb7328b8cd71.jpeg

96B21990-28FF-40D8-9BB6-22A0C3253E3C.thumb.jpeg.5e70d000fb8335dafa2829d2e32cabe1.jpeg

Edited by uninformed
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TD5toV8110 said:

What are you doing for a fuel tank now the space is 200 mm shorter? 

Perentie, series, or custom.....🤔

Custom rear and sill tank. Finding a Td5 90 rear tank in Australia would be very hard. Perentie or Series tanks won’t bolt in due to the fact I’ve moved the RA,TA and body mount locations.

• Like 2

Looks good! 

Was thinking, that I would take of the inner lip as it will work as a mudtrap? If it only was to the edge of the inner plate, mud and crud would simply slip off? (I always think that I should have changed this before I galvd my original chassis... 🙂)

/mads

34 minutes ago, toenden said:

Looks good! 

Was thinking, that I would take of the inner lip as it will work as a mudtrap? If it only was to the edge of the inner plate, mud and crud would simply slip off? (I always think that I should have changed this before I galvd my original chassis... 🙂)

/mads

A few reasons to keep it. Cross sectional area of flanges and webs (along with distance from the nuteral axis) determines strength. I was going to move the inner web out to create a neat box, but I looked at how LR attached the rear of the fuel tank and figured it would allow those attachments to be under the lip and have the tank fill the available space. It also gives room for the plates, washers and nuts of all the hardware. Mud is not a big problem for me, and I'm pretty good at keeping on top of cleaning. The LR crossmember has a few traps, mainly crevice corrosion due to overlapping plates with only spot or stitch welds and no seam sealer. I'll have plenty of drain holes. 

On 2/6/2022 at 9:45 AM, uninformed said:

A few reasons to keep it. Cross sectional area of flanges and webs (along with distance from the nuteral axis) determines strength. I was going to move the inner web out to create a neat box, but I looked at how LR attached the rear of the fuel tank and figured it would allow those attachments to be under the lip and have the tank fill the available space. It also gives room for the plates, washers and nuts of all the hardware. Mud is not a big problem for me, and I'm pretty good at keeping on top of cleaning. The LR crossmember has a few traps, mainly crevice corrosion due to overlapping plates with only spot or stitch welds and no seam sealer. I'll have plenty of drain holes. 

I was thinking along the path of moving the innerweb, but it does make sense to be able to mount the tank on/to the lip 🙂

The biggest proble on the original is the double plate as you mention, but it always supprises me the amount of ...ehh... material and roaddirt that is able to collect on the lip (and on top of the crossmember 🙂)

BUT! You got it covered, carry on please! 🤣

/mads

ouch, nasty, make sure you cleaned it well

shorts are not what you need to be wearing when metal working, ask me how I know,

neither are training shoes ( not that you were wearing trainers ) especially when you drop a 12" 4 jaw chuck into them, again, ask me how I know lol ? Regards Stephen