Ot but might be of interest

Stellaghost

33 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

That's cool @simonr! Are those gas cylinders on the side?

Hydraulic Accumulators.  We were using 2 x 100kW Hydraulic pumps - but they couldn't deliver fluid anywhere near fast enough for the speed the platform needed to raise.  Adding 16 x 70l accumulators just allows a surge of really high flow.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, simonr said:

Hydraulic Accumulators.  We were using 2 x 100kW Hydraulic pumps - but they couldn't deliver fluid anywhere near fast enough for the speed the platform needed to raise.  Adding 16 x 70l accumulators just allows a surge of really high flow.

Over 1100L :o. What sort of pressure is it running at? 

16 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Over 1100L :o. What sort of pressure is it running at? 

A 70l accumulator only gives you 35l usable - at 35l, you're down to half pressure.  In practice, you probably don't want to go much below about 45l, giving 25l capacity & 75% pressure.

So, your 1100l is closer to 400l.  I can't remember what pressure we were running - but probably 100-150 Bar.  Everything is rated to 250, but we rarely go above 200 - just so you've got some 'in the bag' if needed!

Si

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

You're still cleaner than I was after doing a double shift in the 5/4 seam at Westoe colliery back in the 80's, used to get even blacker after fitting a belt at Canadian Graphite after NCB binned me...

Edited by JeffR

3 hours ago, JeffR said:

You're still cleaner than I was after doing a double shift in the 5/4 seam at Westoe colliery back in the 80's, used to get even blacker after fitting a belt at Canadian Graphite after NCB binned me...

Quite possibly, however the above was the result of around 45 minutes of hell, I was a damn site blacker at the end of my shift.....

Regards Stephen

On 12/19/2022 at 8:31 AM, elbekko said:

Can't imagine what your lungs look like...

Indeed. Seriously Stephen you should be doing yourself a favour and wearing a mask or breathing apparatus.

Friend on mine worked on Naval ships in Chatham Dockyard years ago, but never smoked, and he is in a bad way now.

Squeak groan squeak groan squeak groan.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had the chance to do an engineering club walk round of our local cement works in operation ( now a housing estate...) many years ago and the kiln hall is like nothing else in industry. 

How does a failure like that impact the continuous nature of the process?

Steve