What do you think this noise is ….

Anderzander

I posted this in my 90 thread - but will ask here for some help.

So … my daughter sat in the back of my 90 with the back windows open to record a noise I can’t seem to track down.

When it first started it sounded sharper like a stone in the tyre - but it’s not a stone.

The noise has continued despite new wheels and the tyres being change around.

The noise stays the same with no rear prop, and has stayed with a change of diff. 

It sounds like it’s from the right rear - listening with the window open you can hear it loudly from the drivers side - not at all from the passenger’s side.

There is no play or noise from the bearings…

What do you think?

Listening on my phone which isn't ideal but as you seem to eliminated most sources I would probably want to have a nose at the rear diff, halfshafts and bearings. 

Sound sources can be hard to pinpoint, I ended up using a GoPro on a flexi mount under the chassis to pick up an elusive clonk on the last new Defender I had.

• Thanks 1

That is quite noisy and would appear to be at wheel rpm .

Crack in the brake disc around the top hat to disc area ? 

A stationary test with the back axle  supported on axle stands , front prop off and TB diff lock engaged while someone else operates and you watch ? 

If you have a local garage with a Bradbury 4 post lift with wheelfree beams you could put it up in the air and do the same test with the front prop on and get a second opinion . 

Definitely  something amiss .

Steve

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

That clip-clop noise at the end was a horse, is that what you mean? ;) 

Knew it was worth asking !!  You’ve just explained the strange smell too 😂

42 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

Listening on my phone which isn't ideal but as you seem to eliminated most sources I would probably want to have a nose at the rear diff, halfshafts and bearings. 

Sound sources can be hard to pinpoint, I ended up using a GoPro on a flexi mount under the chassis to pick up an elusive clonk on the last new Defender I had.

40 minutes ago, steve b said:

That is quite noisy and would appear to be at wheel rpm .

Crack in the brake disc around the top hat to disc area ? 

A stationary test with the back axle  supported on axle stands , front prop off and TB diff lock engaged while someone else operates and you watch ? 

If you have a local garage with a Bradbury 4 post lift with wheelfree beams you could put it up in the air and do the same test with the front prop on and get a second opinion . 

Definitely  something amiss .

Steve

So grateful for some input chaps - thank you.

I have been wondering about getting it on axle stands and running it …. thought of lying under it makes me nervous though….

Half shafts are those with the integrated drive flange - and I looked at those when I swapped the diff out. They looked fine to me.

Interesting thought on the brakes - I drove today with very soft shoes on and with a very gentle pressure on the brake I could feel some pulsing on the pedal.

The rear discs did also  come up as an advisory on the previous MOT, no comment on the current one, but I’ve ordered some now.

So the only plan at this point is new discs and pads and I’ll do the bearings too. I mentioned they have no play, but they have been in a long time and I can then rule them out.

Definitely wheel/hub/brake related, doesnt sound quite like the tick tick tick or a stone in the tread. Sounds softer ? I would take the wheels off and carefully check for nails or screws.

Look at the calipers all over to check there is no gravel stuck anywhere.

Poorly applied Limestone paint on the wheels peeling off and flicking some part of the bodywork ?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Snagger said:

I’d be confident in saying that is a tyre.  Flat spotted perhaps, maybe deterioration like a bulge or delamination of the tread.

Though the tyres have been changed around - the noise would surely move with the tyre ? 

It would.

I’d jack  the vehcihle off the ground and look for oscillations in the tyre and wheel rotation.  It does sound to me like a varying tyre tread on the ground, so if the wheel or hub is bent, the tyre would wobble and could create such a sound.  Get a marker to run along the shoulder of the tread so that you can see any variation as you turn the wheel, a bit like running a dial test gauge when messing runout on a diff or flywheel.

1 hour ago, Retroanaconda said:

Does the noise change when you apply the brakes, or on drive/overrun at all?

Only in as much as less engine noise means you can hear it better - but I haven’t thought if braking changes it, I’ll try it out.

I had something weird like that for a long time (the car does not get much use). It was only at 70mph fully loaded on the motor way. I had gone through all the motions you have. And it was air pressure at speed bending the rear fender and eyebrow inwards while driving, causing it to rub on the tyre. right at the rearmost point. All I had to to was cut out 10mm of the corner of the eyebrow and it was gone.

I have also had a mudflap bending backward at speed, touching the tyre, doing the same thing.

Daan

• Thanks 1

Before it went dark I pulled the wheel off - nothing trapped in the caliper or dust shield, only a tiny amount of runout in the disc, caliper is in decent condition and holding the pads well. I’ve cleaned it up and removed some rust and no difference.

I can’t spin the wheel quick enough to make the noise - but I did roll the wheel over and scrutinise the tread - I can’t see any bulges, nails or the like. The tyre and the rim run true too - in both axis.

So many suggestions around the tyre though that I think my next step is to swap the back tyres from side to side and see if the noise moves. The tyres have already been moved onto other rims - and I don’t think the same tyre ended up back on that corner …  but I’ll check.

After they - I think it’s putting it on stands.

You need a pointing stick in a clamp to be dead steady just off several reference points as you rotate the wheel - the inner and outer rim edges, the inner and outer tyre shoulders, mid wall and mid tread to look for variations in clearance and thus distortions.  Turning it by hand as you did there without fine referencing isn’t going to reveal anything.

It was all I good do at that moment though - I put the grid in the camera and spun it with that as a makeshift reference.

I will swap some wheels about and see if it rules out the wheels and tyres.

I do expect it to as the noise has remained despite moving from boosts to these. 

• 3 weeks later...

Swapping wheels is the next thing.

The reason I discounted it was that I’ve changed wheels and the noise has stayed in that corner.

It seemed pretty impossible  that the back right tyre ended back in the back right on the new wheel - when they were all off at once when they were swapped over.

Got to rule it out though ! 

You’ve keener eyes than me Ralph - I can’t see any deformation in it. 

13 hours ago, western said:

As your spinning the wheel/tyre looking at the top of the tread it seems to dip down then come back up, 

If it's been sat for a while the tyres can go square, mine often do on the 109 - I have to do a few laps of the local industrial estate to warm them up & get them to relax back to being circles again :lol:

• Haha 1