EV conversions

Anderzander

2 hours ago, sean f said:

Tool in the string normally about 30ft behind the bit which we can trigger to take a survey giving inclination and azimuth with a high degree of accuracy, once it takes the survey it pulses the data to surface, we drill with a flow of drilling fluid (mud) down the string, a valve in the string causes an obstruction which increase the pressure at surface, we decode the resultant pulses to get the survey. Add all the surveys up down the well and with enough maths you get the final position. Normally steering uses a steering head directly behind the bit with ribs, I tell the steering head what to do in terms of how much force to apply on a specific vector by pulsing a signal back down the string with negative pressure pulses by diverting a set amount of flow at surface. We pre programme the steering head with a quite extensive set of possible instruction, sync the surface gear and then just send the best option, the electronics in the tool then decide the pressures to actually apply to each rib. The steering head, survey tool and the power/pulse unit are getting on for £1 million, we normally also have a series of other tools attached for measuring various geological information and they can cost similar amounts of money each.

That’s incredibly clever!

1 hour ago, Happyoldgit said:

I'm learning a lot from this thread 👌

Echo that. I do love the breadth of knowledge in this place and how wide the jobs/occupations spread. 

• Like 1

Don't forget the EV is also a electric storage option. Drive to the station, plug in, power the grid all day, leaving enough for the trip home, go home, recharge on night rate and repeat.

3 hours ago, Gazzar said:

We could do similar with huge concrete blocks and towers. Be fun to watch!

The problem with those is the construction - they need to be huge to store the required energy, but pumped hydro is comparatively simple and cheap to build, perhaps needing a dam but otherwise just needing the pipes and pump/generators, as the storage vessel is prebuilt.  Digging enormous holes for weights on pulleys, making the support structures for the pulleys, the cables, the weights…. That’s a lot of resources.

4 hours ago, Snagger said:

The problem with those is the construction - they need to be huge to store the required energy, but pumped hydro is comparatively simple and cheap to build, perhaps needing a dam but otherwise just needing the pipes and pump/generators, as the storage vessel is prebuilt.  Digging enormous holes for weights on pulleys, making the support structures for the pulleys, the cables, the weights…. That’s a lot of resources.

Plonk them either side of the big London sky scrapers! Two on the Shard.

Be fun to watch.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Snagger said:

There are plenty of mineshafts that could be repurposed. The abandoned super-pit near me in Asfordby, Leicestershire would be a good one; fairly large shafts and a deep(ish) hole.

16 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

In other news foers have released a press statement. The short version is they sold Munro an ibex for prototyping and that's as far as the collaboration went. However foers are developing their own EV. So watch this space.

Mike

That sounds really dubious; who's fooling who? So Munro have IP on some control gear and a battery array but no vehicle and Foers have a vehicle and are doing a BEV version independently. Capitalism at it's finest!

1 hour ago, jeremy996 said:

That sounds really dubious; who's fooling who? So Munro have IP on some control gear and a battery array but no vehicle and Foers have a vehicle and are doing a BEV version independently. Capitalism at it's finest!

I think it was the plan to work together originally but that didn't work out. Foers have always been willing to build whatever you want so electric is just a different driveline to them. Let's face it they can just pull all the gear out of a car and mount it in their chassis. Failing that a motor some battery's etc and some R&D job done. Munro on the other hand have done the R&D but need to build a vehicle. I wouldn't mind betting an investor has come forward and wanted it all in house for better control.

For me the good news is a car I like is going electric, built by a company that's been around for years and I trust. Yes the development by foers will likely be slower as I doubt they'll have backing but anything they build will be built for the job no compromise.

Mike

• Like 1

From what I've seen/heard a company like Ibex or Munro "going electric" means buying a load of bits off the shelf, perhaps with a battery pack built to a certain shape/size, and chucking it all in - it's not like either of them are big enough to be doing much powertrain R&D in-house. A cut above the average DIY conversion perhaps - but I'll wager there will be more & better EV conversion kits coming along especially for something as juicy a target as old Land Rovers where one kit potentially covers 50+ years of production and there's still lots on the road.

I guess we just need more crashed Teslas and Leafs to donate parts to the cause :lol:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

From what I've seen/heard a company like Ibex or Munro "going electric" means buying a load of bits off the shelf, perhaps with a battery pack built to a certain shape/size, and chucking it all in - it's not like either of them are big enough to be doing much powertrain R&D in-house. A cut above the average DIY conversion perhaps - but I'll wager there will be more & better EV conversion kits coming along especially for something as juicy a target as old Land Rovers where one kit potentially covers 50+ years of production and there's still lots on the road.

I guess we just need more crashed Teslas and Leafs to donate parts to the cause :lol:

Jaunt plan kits for Series and Defender models.  They use a mix of parts, and I think they will set up a range of options for things like used Leaf or Tesla motors and batteries to go with their own in-house wiring and controller bundles.

Just a thought but if you repower a LR with an electric power system how easy is it to get the registration changed so it shows as zero emissions for the purposes of lower (0?) VED/road tax rate and access to the various low emissions zones in cities etc. I know getting some changes registered can be difficult at times.

I think for re-power kits to be anything other than an oddity for wealthy people the kits will have to be less than £10 thousand in kit form, ideally a lot less, I can't see this at the moment but I guess as Tesla's etc get older and get crashed more donor parts might get easier to come by and someone will either rebuild them into something suitable or supply the parts for other people to do it. Not sure what the regs would be on getting a home built electric vehicle through an SVA or similar, at a guess the power connections / battery management stuff would need to be signed off by someone professional, I know many people could do it safely but you only have to look back at some of the kit cars in the 80's that people made in there driveways (and some scary LR's as well) to know that some people should not be let near a spanner but will try anyway.

7 hours ago, sean f said:

Just a thought but if you repower a LR with an electric power system how easy is it to get the registration changed so it shows as zero emissions for the purposes of lower (0?) VED/road tax rate and access to the various low emissions zones in cities etc. I know getting some changes registered can be difficult at times.

I think for re-power kits to be anything other than an oddity for wealthy people the kits will have to be less than £10 thousand in kit form, ideally a lot less, I can't see this at the moment but I guess as Tesla's etc get older and get crashed more donor parts might get easier to come by and someone will either rebuild them into something suitable or supply the parts for other people to do it. Not sure what the regs would be on getting a home built electric vehicle through an SVA or similar, at a guess the power connections / battery management stuff would need to be signed off by someone professional, I know many people could do it safely but you only have to look back at some of the kit cars in the 80's that people made in there driveways (and some scary LR's as well) to know that some people should not be let near a spanner but will try anyway.

Nissan Leafs are an affordable source of most parts, with various solutions for electronics and battery controllers.  Their biggest issue is the capacity of their batteries, and the condition of the cells due to their lack of thermal management.