Gazzer's "101-what have I done" Fairlead Build

Stellaghost

6 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

So  I'm more or less just cleaning this up now  whilst doing that I was thinking about how to achieve a sand cast look...

This is what I came up with, first picture is just dressed  up a bit with die grinder and a rotary burr the second is after a wee bit play with a needle gun

Thoughts would be appreciated 

Regards Stephen 

20240112_181359.thumb.jpg.6daca5d14ef86a93280282d8a903d0d5.jpg

20240112_181409.thumb.jpg.b27cd5770b64f7a2d2746280eb60df41.jpg

Put it this way…. I thought I missed a bit here, you went through all this to make a die and you had sand cast it 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

A dip in the sandblaster it'll look like it just came out of the foundry!

Very nice work indeed.

What's more impressive (if I've understood correctly) is he didn't sandblast it. ;)

On 1/7/2024 at 1:58 PM, Gazzar said:

You've convinced me to get my left hand done. I was humming and hawing, but best get it done whilst fixable!

Look, I waited 2 years plus change before doing the second one, and it had got so bad that I'd feel like I was being electrocuted each turn of a screwdriver, so I'm all for getting in early with a huge side order of irony in there for effect.

The Surgeon sent me to a Neurologist for a nerve conductivity test that revealed the fact that the nerve impulses would arrive sooner if a runner with a cleft stick delivered the signal to the probe.

The Surgeon then told me the nerves had been badly compressed and that I should prepare for a possible incomplete recovery....yay! I have to say that barring the pain in/under the cut, so far it has been a perfect recovery. I may yet get to ride my Guzzi and my Ape again after an almost 12 year hiatus with tingly fingers....yes, that's how long I've delayed this....😨

I can't say the right hand is pain free after the surgery. But I spent a day fitting a train window into a panel on Friday, and the right hand was used hard.  No tingling in the fingers, pain in the wrist, sure, but bearable. I expect that's going to go away as the strength recovers.

The left hand was numb. So as soon as the option to get it sorted comes up, I'll taking it.

• Like 1

My 101 has similar pulleys as you are making.  I change I would make and I am going to do this, I would consider putting in sealed bearings in the center of the pulley.  I find that when going offroad , even though they are well greased, they quickly get grit in them and grind.  Same applies to all the pulleys in the system.

Pic of a genuine swivel housing - yours looks pretty good 🙂

Overall size of fairlead.jpg

1 minute ago, garrycol said:

My 101 has similar pulleys as you are making.  I change I would make and I am going to do this, I would consider putting in sealed bearings in the center of the pulley.  I find that when going offroad , even though they are well greased, they quickly get grit in them and grind.  Same applies to all the pulleys in the system.

Thank you

I'm not making pulleys, @Gazzar has genuine ones I believe, I only made  a blank to check clearances

Regards Stephen

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, garrycol said:

I used pulleys with bearings on the vector system on my ibex. I was concerned about grit etc and as I didn't have the pulleys foers normally use it was a good excuse to get some. I've no idea what they came off as they were on eBay but they've been fitted for 7 years and I'm not very good at cleaning. :ph34r: In fact at one point I thought they had seized but it turned out the tube was full of mud, once clear it all started working again.

Mike

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Brilliant, just brilliant.

I'm no furiously trying to think of something for Stephen to make for me 😛 

Ahhhh......

Why do I think I'm going to regret assisting people with some fabrication..........lol

Regards Stephen

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

I'm no furiously trying to think of something for Stephen to make for me 😛 

Pretty sure I offered to make you a bonnet.........way back

Although that was going to be a joint venture...if we didn't live so far apart........

Regards Stephen

• Like 1