I hope Lucy doesn't see this

Exmoor Beast

I was under the impression that genuine G4's weren't allowed to be in the UK for some reason as when they first came out there was someone flogging them very specifically "export only", either as a condition imposed by LR or for a legal reason. Dunno why - emissions, modifications, build spec, who knows?

I was under the impression that genuine G4's weren't allowed to be in the UK for some reason as when they first came out there was someone flogging them very specifically "export only", either as a condition imposed by LR or for a legal reason. Dunno why - emissions, modifications, build spec, who knows?

It was Keith Gott who had a whole load of them, and i seem to remember somthing about export only too, AFAIK they were blocking all UK registrations of them for whatever reason :unsure:

I understand from a G4 RRSport owner of my acquaintance that one year they were all crushed/exported/broken up and the following one (55 plate?) they were UK cars and were re-sold afterwards... or some similar story.

Chris

Guest dew110CSW

There's a Mint G4 in Carnforth (Near J35 M6) with all the gear still attached. V8 as well. Keep meaning to talk to the owner, might drop a note to this place under the wiper one day :)

Looks nice but don't G4 stuff have winches etc on the front

Not necessarily - the actual challenge vehicles were all heavily kitted up with tasty stuff off the option list, plus some custom work (for instance, the range rovers had high spec leather interiors but the rear video screens were deleted), but various different combinations were used to show off different kit. I was told the range rover I borrowed cost somewhere in the region of £100k with all toys...

After the challenge each market got a certain number of vehicles for publicity. I'm not sure what happened with those that were sold - I've an idea they were auctioned but it was a few years ago and my involvement was with the website so limited once the challenge itself was finished.

A few thing's that do not add up :o ,, with that so called G4

7 seats !! ,,,(head pads still fitted, as far as i know, all were 5 seats, so retro fitted ??

wrong wheels,,,

Reg number is wrong, so must have been brought back into the UK, and had a age related plate put on

A lot of the 03 event cars were US or south african spec, so no cats, etc, and the wrong ecu's so iffy to get a MOT

A load of the original ones were sold to Gott, on the understanding, were for export sale only

A lot of the cars had the bits removed !! this one has no winch, all the door/wing plates gone, alloy G4 plaques,

Guest dew110CSW
Looks to me more like the G4 Edition for the American market rather than a pukka ex-event car.

Whatever. Nice truck! I'd have it!

Would agree with that, they did limited editions of both the Debtfinder and the Disco, finished in either Tangers or Sunshine yellow. Think I got a couple of pics round here somewhere...

post-2159-1176369778_thumb.jpg

post-2159-1176369846_thumb.jpg

Would agree with that, they did limited editions of both the Debtfinder and the Disco, finished in either Tangers or Sunshine yellow. Think I got a couple of pics round here somewhere...

The Ltd editions were only for the 03 event, i tend to agred with kev it not the

pukka ex-event car

But this is !! :)

post-14-1176370877_thumb.jpg

7 seats !! ,,,(head pads still fitted, as far as i know, all were 5 seats, so retro fitted ??

wrong wheels,,,

A lot of the 03 event cars were US or south african spec, so no cats, etc, and the wrong ecu's so iffy to get a MOT

A lot of the cars had the bits removed !! this one has no winch, all the door/wing plates gone, alloy G4 plaques,

I saw a lot of these disco's with no trim in the boot, so I assume they were refitted to uk seven seat spec when they left the department where I worked at the time

They were fitted with low-compression engines for the event to cope with the poor fuel supplied. The ones I saw, I saw because they were being fitted with NEW high compression uk spec engines. So expect to find a brand new engine in there

All of the 03 cars had all of the bits removed AFAIK, something to do with type approval if I recall. However the winches roofracks etc were disposed of to the same company as the vehicles so I image a lot of the cars were reunited with their kit once they had been registered. That explains why you see some with all the kit and some with none

Also they were released slowly due to the workload of the department where they recieved the engine changes, they were low prioritory jobs, that explains the odd number plates

Hope this helps

Lewis :)

I might be going down the wrong path here but just had a look on the US G4 site this is what was said about the 2003 challenge http://www.landroverg4challenge.com/main/c...=40&p=h14p1

"Stage 1

Sunday March 30, 2003 – Friday April 4, 2003

The Challenge started amidst the hustle and bustle of the definitive urban jungle: New York City. With Manhattan as backdrop, teams first completed an urban challenge, before leaving the Big Apple in their Land Rover Freelander vehicles.

in the 2006 Challenge they ran the Discovery 3

but I bow down to Tim for his so called expertise. you should see Tims tent for his trip "Bright" where the sunglasses & that's at night :lol:

I might be going down the wrong path here but just had a look on the US G4 site this is what was said about the 2003 challenge http://www.landroverg4challenge.com/main/c...=40&p=h14p1

"Stage 1

Sunday March 30, 2003 – Friday April 4, 2003

The Challenge started amidst the hustle and bustle of the definitive urban jungle: New York City. With Manhattan as backdrop, teams first completed an urban challenge, before leaving the Big Apple in their Land Rover Freelander vehicles.

in the 2006 Challenge they ran the Discovery 3

The whole range are used for the challenges, a different vehicle for each section. In 2003 Freelander was used for the East coast USA stage, IIRC Defender was used in South Africa, Range Rover in Australia and Discovery in West USA. Don't think they've introduced a fifth stage so I'm not sure how they're catering for the addition of the range rover sport now.

As well as the competitors vehicles there are support vehicles which are also fully liveried and kitted out. It was a support vehicle that I borrowed.