What have you got done then?

GBMUD

In the light of "What are you doing over Xmas?" where we all made optimistic plans, what have you actually achieved?

I said that work would start on the overland camping trailer idea and so it did - with lots of help from brother Rogue Vogue. In some ways we have not got as much done as I had hoped but, on the other hand, we have done lots more than I thought we would in other ways and it looks far, far better than I thought it would - so far! :) I cannot do pictures right now but I will post some up later when I get home.

What did you get done? ...and why not? :P

Chris

I intended to build a wood-burning stove with a boiler for central heating in the workshop - and it is done. By the time I got to the scrap yard to buy Radiators - they were closed for Xmas so I've not been able to plumb it in properly yet.

With a decent fire going it will boil 10l of water in 3 mins which is roughly 23kw - which is certainly better than my 2kw oil filled radiator!

I also started building a wheely-racking system to solve X-Eng's space problem, at least for a few months.

I have assembled 'dollies', each of which holds two stacks of five open front crates allowing them to be wheeled across the ground. These will wheel up a ramp in to the van for shows and by moving them around easily make better use of the floor space in my workshop.

Lastly, I made the last couple of bits for my Suzuki before it's ready to have a cage glued on to it.

All that and there was still time for our now traditional Pizza & Ice cream Xmas dinner. So good, we had it twice! (I'm not keen on Turkey & the normal Xmas dinner fare - so we have something nice instead!)

Si

Well I have started on my 90 - took the exhaust and drop pto off - found that the bracket for pto shafting had broken mainly due to my carp welding but went down with a stinking cold - so thats how its been left on axle stands with all the tools left under it etc

Theres always tomorrow

Steve

I intended to build a wood-burning stove with a boiler for central heating in the workshop - and it is done. By the time I got to the scrap yard to buy Radiators - they were closed for Xmas so I've not been able to plumb it in properly yet.

With a decent fire going it will boil 10l of water in 3 mins which is roughly 23kw - which is certainly better than my 2kw oil filled radiator!

O/T -Are, just the man! I have got to do the same in my house in Transylvania when I get over! I was told that it has been averaging -15 to -20 for the last couple of weeks at night and only getting up to -8oC by lunchtime during the day. There is no mains gas in the village and electricity is expensive so wood is really the only option. I need to heat two living areas and the attached workshop. What did you use? Wood burning stove with a back boiler or one with water pipe liner? Water pump? Did you install a guage and valve to get the pressure right?

A local plumber would probably be cheap as chips to hire but I am keen to keep my costs down and do things myself if I can.

Cheers,

Paul

well i got the timing belt done on the discovery, kept on looking for the mysterious squealing sound under load, now the turbo is making a hell of a row, i havent found the squeal and im ready to fix it with a can of petrol and a match :angry: got 3 days to fix it before kirton

O/T -Are, just the man! I have got to do the same in my house in Transylvania when I get over! I was

Paul Wightman and Rogue Vogue did most of the ground-work for this to be fair. They aded a back boiler to their stove and use a selection of Rads to heat the rest of the workshop - and it works very well!

I'll post a thread about this once it is fully installed and working.

Si

I spent the day in my inventing shed reassembling the 300TDi engine. Crank is in and two of the pistons. Cleaning and checking everything is taking longer than I thought. I stupidly snapped an oil jet banjo bolt off because I didn't check the torque wrench setting first and tried to tighten it to 40lb ft instead of the 17 it should be. Fortunately Diesel Jim came up trumps and had one for me - thanks a lot Jim. Back at it again today though, so I'm getting there.

Les. :)

I said I would

I have no intention of doing anything much out in the workshop but hope instead to be joining in the festive revels within the bosom of my family and partaking of the culinary, alcoholic, spiritual delights of the season with a little pursuing of fur and feather thrown in for good measure.

which is just what I have, and am, doing :D

I finished off my new beadlock rims yesterday, wurst part of the job, torking up the 160 nuts and bolts, makes you quite dizzy. Looking forward to sunday and trying them out, last time out broke a bead climbing out of a river and had to change the wheel in the middle of the freezing water, must get some welly's.

Seasons grettings to everyone

Cheers Dave :D

Put the inside back inside the Disco less the front carpet until I can suss out the leak properly from the Windscreen, along with a new drivers seat from a scrapper that still has a decent base :D

Got new front doors to fit on the Bobtail, just spent a couple of hour loosening the hinge screws <_< , clean the floor up ready to glue some new metal on.

Just about to try and get the tailgate closing properly

Anyone got a full wiring loom for a 91ish Rangie with electric windows and C/Locking ???.... ;)

Getting all new stuff ready to bolt on the Vapour Hybrid, and looking forward to getting all the stuff thats being replaced on it... going on the bobtail :)

Is it safe to leave my truck on the drive if I go out now Les? ;):P

I spent the day in my inventing shed reassembling the 300TDi engine. Crank is in and two of the pistons. Cleaning and checking everything is taking longer than I thought. I stupidly snapped an oil jet banjo bolt off because I didn't check the torque wrench setting first and tried to tighten it to 40lb ft instead of the 17 it should be. Fortunately Diesel Jim came up trumps and had one for me - thanks a lot Jim. Back at it again today though, so I'm getting there.

Les. :)

fixed the heater in the truck cab and painted it up from the last foray!!!

spent ages trying to find a niggly fault on the td5 - intermittent squeak! Still not found it.

made the washers work on the tdi.

fitted a Parrott to the td5! which means i will get yours back to you Tim.

Me and my wife took the plane to prague and then the train to Zlin, near the slovak border. We then arrived at the inlaws house were local wine and slibowize were waiting for us: feet up and :wacko: we will head back to prague tomorow.

Daan