O/T Antivirus software

Guest deleted

Guest diesel_jim

I need new AV software for my PC. for some reason AVG crashed, and i can't re-install, it goes to almost 99.9% there (after it auto deletes all the installation files) then pops up with an error.

i can't seem to find a cure for that.

so does anyone else have a good bit of software that they can recommend? (or a cure for AVG)

i'm running windoze XPpro SP2

thanks!

i use Nod32 antivirus and it's fantastic, uses much less memory than AVG, and it updates quicker too. Check out Comodo for a free secure firewall solution too.....

(The antivirus and firewall are installed on my laptop which i use memory map on, when i go laning in the disco ;) )

Jim, I have been running, and swear by, Norton products for years.

I currently run Norton 360, which is AV & a suite of stuff that monitors your PC to keep it all tip top.

Find it here: Symantec

You can order it online, download it & keep things like Product keys in a virtual "vault" online, so if you ever have problems like your having now, you can uninstall, and re-install the new product with any fixes.

Martin

Buy a mac :lol::P

Or better still install Linux over that Windowz :)

If its a free AV package you are looking for you could try ClamAV for windowz, the file you need to install it is clamwin-0.93-setup.exe I think.

I have clam AV installed on 2 Windowz machines and have never had a problem.

Guest noggy

haha, norton is the most useless peice of software you could possibly have! and freakin expensive!

its causes more problems than it cures!

to be perfectly honest, i run nothing, nil zilch!

the fact i dont go on bad sites, and just use a little brain power has kept me safe for years.

I like AVG - shame it's causing you problems.

Norton is the most bloated processor-hungry overweight virus software i have ever seen. I have 'fixed' half a dozen PCs by taking it off and replacing it with AVG.

There's no point having a Virus-free PC if its that slow you can't use it.

Guest diesel_jim

Thanks all, plenty to be going on with.

yes, 'tis a shame about AVG, i've always liked it, but for some strange reason it just freaked out.

i now have a couple of trojan's on my PC, so want to get it sorted ASAP.

I have had AVG and I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole - I put it on a PC at work and it let a load of nasty viruses in, never again! Norton is overweight (best stick to 2006 which is what I have) but has yet to let me down.

Just a note to say that the latest version (8) of AVG free installs a browser toolbar which you may not want.

To install with out it, save the install file to the root of the C: drive then launch the installer using the following from the command line (Start > Run...)

c:\avg_free_stf_*.exe /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch

Info taken from here:

http://grandstreamdreams.blogspot.com/2008...-version-8.html

I need new AV software for my PC. for some reason AVG crashed, and i can't re-install, it goes to almost 99.9% there (after it auto deletes all the installation files) then pops up with an error.

i can't seem to find a cure for that.

so does anyone else have a good bit of software that they can recommend? (or a cure for AVG)

Jamie,

I'd try and stick with AVG as it's a fabulous free product.

Try a proper un-install and then a registry cleaner to remove traces of the old AVG and if possible a defrag of the boot drive.

Then try a fresh install of AVG.

I install it on all PC's I build for friends / family.. It's very secure, it's free and it kills most things other commercial products let through.

Norton is bloatware that has way too many vulnerabilities.

Mcaffee tries too hard to control your network connections and is also pretty bloat.

PCTools stuff is pretty good as Ralph says.

If you don't have a program for cleaning the registry, drop me a PM.

Neil

I am a bit of a Virus geek and I would agree with AVG or Avast if you want free AV. I personally use Avast as historically it has had a better detection rate. I would stay away from some of the big names like Mcafee and Norton as they tend to include a load of carp you dont want/need as well as being very demanding on resources.

Ben

Any home versions of norton and mcafee are a waste of space, you want the corporate versions. Mcafee 8.5 works well as does symantec corp. edition. running Mcafee on most of the machines i look after. wouldn't ever let AVG near anything

I have Norton Systemworks 2007 professional on my PC.

It does slow it down - horribly so, and I hear 360 is even worse - BUT and its a big BUT, I am a PC illiterate and as such I need to have things taken care of for me, Norton does all this blocks hacks trojans virus etc etc as it monitors eveything I do, and wouldn't know about a trojan if it was a big horse outside my house ringing my door bell with a pizza, so I live with it and it has done its job and kept my PC safe for years

Yes if you are 100% PC Savvy I am sure you (and many IT mates of mine don't) don't like or even need Norton, and there are better things for you out there - for me "The PC Muppet"... Norton ticks my boxes.

Nige

and wouldn't know about a trojan if it was a big horse outside my house ringing my door bell with a pizza

Golly gosh Nigel!!

Nex you'll be quoting the Iliad!! :lol::lol::ph34r:

Er, back on topic, any IT bod I have spoken to about antivirus has said Norton is a terrible system hog. Unfortunately that is what I have, but I won't be renewing the subscription if Avast works on Vista...

Er, back on topic, any IT bod I have spoken to about antivirus has said Norton is a terrible system hog. Unfortunately that is what I have, but I won't be renewing the subscription if Avast works on Vista...

Another vote for Norton being the spawn of satan, and yes, Avast works on Vista with no problem ;)