People should really take more care....

smo

...When writing adverts! Oh dear, this is a prime example of lack of knowledge coupled with illiteracy.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/897322.htm

110 TDSi - What's one of them, shouldnt it be a TD5 or possibly a ROW Tdi

Country spec - surely thats County spec

vechale, vechile, vechel - I think it should be Vehicle

The list goes on, i particually love the "removable tent" - i think thats the canvas, and alto the 11 Ton winch!!

Full of spelling errors, full of rubbish :ph34r:

says it's a lara croft model aka tombraider, but it isn't, cos the medallion disc badges are missing from the front wing side panels & these vehicles didn't have tilts either.

doubt he'll get 13+K for it either.

i love ads like this.. it once took the missus and i about half an hour to read an ad on ebay for a passat.. was all in red. caps lock and had been written by someone who clearly didnt speak a lot of english!!

I used to get irritated by ads displaying those characteristics; now I consider them an excellent Guide to Potential Buyers.

They make it very clear it isn't worth developing a relationship with the seller.

So I move on; gratefully.

In my job I have occasional correspondence with University students in Bath. Their grammar and spelling is comical. So it seems that the misuse of the English language is even at the highest levels of education.

Examples I have seen are: miss operated when they meant misinterpreted. There when they meant their and others too numerous to mention. One would think that at that level they could use Words spelling and grammar check.

In my job I have occasional correspondence with University students in Bath. .... One would think that at that level they could use Words spelling and grammar check.

I'm more definite. My judgment is that they can use those tools. They just don't care to.

Whether they can't or won't, the result should be the same. Any quality assessment of the writer should degraded, their views given less importance, especially if they would personally benefit from their views being given a normal, or higher, importance.

Part of 'writing for your readers' is to ensure they can concentrate on the important views the writer is presenting. Not make life difficult by creating distractions, which the reader then has to work round.

In my job I have occasional correspondence with University students in Bath. Their grammar and spelling is comical. So it seems that the misuse of the English language is even at the highest levels of education.

Examples I have seen are: miss operated when they meant misinterpreted. There when they meant their and others too numerous to mention. One would think that at that level they could use Words spelling and grammar check.

I'm not suprised, most of us studying are doing science, engineering or sports coaching/development. None of these professions are particularly renowned for literacy skills! And given some of the literacy levels of the lecturers it isn't suprising. We had one lecturer who taught us control systems, featuring a variable "k" which was used a lot. Only problem with that was he ended every sentence with "'k?" as in "okay" when he was lecturing.

Funnily enough people on that module didn't do too well...

And if we're throwing stones, "Words" should have an apostrophe... ;)

And if we're throwing stones, "Words" should have an apostrophe... ;)

Yeah I spotted that one too :P ...and leave us Uni of Bath graduates alone, my Engerlish is absolooley foine now I loive baaak in Zummerzet....

It's just a shame my fingers don't always follow what my brain is trying to say :P

It used to put me off when people couldn't write even an advert correctly, but then you also find those people are some of the most skilled/knowledgeable in the country.