Insurance refusal

Daan

Since aquiring a q-plate, I have informed my insurance broker (a well known broker in 4wd insurance) about the change and they said, yes no problem. Now my insurance is up for renewal, and I phoned them to renew it. I Have been with them since 2002 and informed them of every mod I have done to the car in order to stay squicky clean. I decided that in order to make sure everything is ok, that they confirm to me what is actually on the policy. The reply was this: you changed the engine didn't you? No,there is a lot more to it, and I confirmed this right from the start and send you pictures in 2002 and later in 2003 when I clarified the roll cage.

The reply was: o, we dont keep files for that long. We then came to the agreement that I would send an email listing the complete spec once again.

I did this and phoned them the next day. Reply: no problem, your covered. Good, I said, could you sent me a confirmation of all this and that you agree to the mods black on white.

No, we never do that was the answer.

Ok, could you reply to my email to say that you agreed to the mods on my car and that it is insured as such.

hmmmmmmm, can I put you on hold for a moment?

About 10 min later I got a gentlemen on the phone asking me if the car was ex mod.

No, was my reply. O, we can only do MOD cars on a Q -plate and you are only allowed tyres up to 32" he said (Norwich Union policy).

These rules have always been like that and the fact that they agreed to all my mods in the past, but dont want to put it in writing makes me feel pretty uneasy. They clearly just take your money and worry about the rest later. I doubt any of the mods are passed on to the insurer, and that would have big consequenses when there is a shunt.

Currently empty handed and starting to phone around but its not easy on a Q.

Daan

Hi Daan

Yep, heard of this before, and hence why I am incrediabily carefull with mine and my insurers.

Have just renewed mine this Monday, I e-mailed them earlier a full list of every mod on it inc the Truck Cab change and the North Wings etc, which were advised via a phone when being done as OK.

At renewal I redid the list of mods and e-mailed it, they, before taking my money (£297.22 Fully Comp) e-mailed be back confiorming list of mods ...

and all are accepted by the insurer.

Worth a ring maybe ? they dnd deal with Q plates all the time

Number is 01784 461131 / Academy Insurance Brokers

Frankly while they may not be the cheapest I can sleep safe knowing I'm properly covered, they used to be Snowball, had the old hybrid with them as well, may be worth asking to speak to the modifications guru in the office if alan is unsure ?. I have tried eslewhere and had a dreadfull experience with a firm whos 2nd bit of their title is similar to "Solder" so I'll be sticking with Academdy for peace of mind, sefvice and for a modified 4x4 spot on IMHO

HTH

Nige

I'd go to someone who is prepared tio put it into writing.

Don't worry about loyalty, financial companies don't know the meaning of the word.

I was stuffed by Cornhill with a bog-standard policy on an Astra, and I'd been with them for years.

I'm also with Academy and have had no issues with modifications and actually being insured, I did, however, have to stamp my feet a bit to get some headed paper with an acknowledgement of my modifications on it. Even then it only refers to a 'list' and is not specific.

To be honest, the best thing I have found is to send them a list every time you apply for/renew insurance and also whenever the list changes.

Which reminds me..........must update and resend the list!!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Unless you have a bog-standard 4x4, they are no good in my experience! They even tried to be particularly rubbish with my standard Disco when a numpty drove into it, but I got it sorted in the end.

I won't use them again!!

Sorry for being slow ..... does their first name sound similar to Hadrian ?

I hope not as I was thinking of switching to them....

Based on my personal experience with Adrian Flux, I wouldn't use them again.

NFU get my vote.

Steve

NFU get my vote.

Great for a standard vehicle, but refused to cover my Rangie, and it's not like it's the most modified truck out there by a long way....

If you've got other policies(of any description) with them they would consider it, but for a one-off policy they refused to even quote.

Shame...

^^^^^^^ ditto NFU get my vote they are so easy to deal with and they were fine with all my modifications.

What mods do you have fender?

I've have my 90 V8 with NFU for years. They weren't worried about the winch, rock sliders, a bar or LPG conversion. Also useful in that they cover you for business use.

However when I enquired about engine upgrades (GM V8 diesel) a few years ago the price would have gone through the roof, hence I'm still V8 petrol powered. I'm planning an auto conversion soon and am wondering what their reaction will be. Expect I may have to change insurer... :(

I am with Adrian Flux - they tried to fleece me for an extra £150 this year despite no change to my circumstances (and with no claims / points and a 9 year NCB).

I tried NFU for a quote - gave them a long list of all mods and photos etc - but they couldn't cover me. To their credit they did try for about 3 days.

I'm now stuck with Adrian Flux for the year, but will be changing firms out of principle next time round.

I'm also a bit wary of not having my modifications written down on company paper, in the event of a claim. I've personal experience of insurance companies using ANY possible reason not to pay out.

I'm with Bell, they have a long list of my mods which runs to pages, and they came back to clarify some points with intelligent questions at renewal time. So far, I'm pleased with a service which, at best, costs me money for nothing... :)

Contact details please John, mine is up in 30 days...... :(

How detailed are you on the list?

For example: would you say Gwyn Lewis top shock mounts, X-springs etc ....

or just ... longer travel suspension fitted ??

My list is very detailed with makes and models where available.

To use your example, a 'long travel suspension kit' varies in quality and price depending on who you've bought it from. I would like to see my expenditure covered by like for like. I've even told them what size my modular steel wheels are!!!

It's up to you how specific you are. For example, if you have (like me) a rear winch, you might change it, so you might just say that it's got a low-line 9500lbs rear winch. Once you are settled on which one you are going to leave fitted, tell them the make/model... ;)

Try Peter Best, i am allowed "unlimited mods" on my policy and i have a file full of pictures of modifications, each stamped by Peter Best and returned to me. Hopefully no arguments if i ever need to claim . I was told once by Mathew Best "the more mods the better" so i would think they would be worth trying with your `Q`.

Well I am doing the rounds for insurance for my Landcruiser.

So far,

Peter Best will not insure it,

Lancaster will not insure it,

Acadmey will not insure it because I do over 5000 miles.

Sureturm are not sure and are getting back to me,

Adrian Flux are not sure and are getting back to me.

So unless anyone can surgest some one else then looks like I will have to stop with the NFU.

Paul

Edit to ADD,

Adrian Flux. They have got back to me now, for 4x4r call outs they will only insure under "blue light cover" and it works out no cheaper than the cover I have with the NFU.

lancaster can be funny about refusing cover if you have had lots of previous claims, points or no NCB over a certain time period. Forgotten what they are now... i think it says on their website.

But if you have a clean licence, loads of ncb and not claimed then they are champion!

a couple of years ago they even transfered me onto their classic policy automatically - knocking about £100 a year off my quote - with a nice covering letter to let me know how much they'd saved me and how the policy change would impact my cover. Very nice bunch of people to do that without being asked!

Just go to lancaster, they don't seem to worry about much at all.

Yep with Lancaster too. All they said to me was just make sure you let us know what mods you have and your covered, have to send them photo's etc. but they seem fine with everything.

After being very messed around by Sureterm after I did my engine swap to the Isuzu 2.8TD, I wish had contacted Lancaster first and went with them, as my premium went down from what I had been paying with Sureterm, and they give me up to 10,000 miles a year as standard.

Adrian Flux quoted me an ridiculously large premium and that was as a standard 90, before I started adding the rest of the stuff.